#1 Posted by Krullban (1038 posts) -

Just speculation. So don't take it as 100% true. Apparently when you open up the store section in the menu, nothing is there but it requests a XML file where you can find "cash cards" along with the collectors edition stuff that range from $100,000 to $1,250,000

And you can find

"Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting."

#2 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

I hope Rockstar doesn't do that, and I heard if people bought GTA V digitally you have to pay for the online. Which I hope isn't true cus I bought the game digitally.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14849 posts) -

It would be a smart move honestly. I wouldn't blame them if that's how this thing goes.

#4 Edited by MattyFTM (14386 posts) -

@falserelic: That sounds like complete nonsense. They promised GTA online as a free update, it will be a free update. Rockstar wouldn't want that kind of bad press.

Microtransactions make sense, though. And from this leak it sounds like they're only letting you pay to get in-game money, so you're not going to be able to buy some super overpowered gun or vehicle - you just use it to fast track your progress, and allow people with less time to compete with those that can devote countless hours to the game.

#5 Edited by Demoskinos (14849 posts) -

@mattyftm: Yeah but you CAN buy guns with in game cash.....

#6 Posted by Milkman (16810 posts) -

This is the new normal. It's lame but it's just a fact of life now. I would expect just about every PS4 and Xbox One game to have a similar system.

#7 Posted by falserelic (5437 posts) -

@milkman said:

This is the new normal. It's lame but it's just a fact of life now. I would expect just about every PS4 and Xbox One game to have a similar system.

Yeah, and I can only imagine what EA and Capcom has planned for DLC for next gen.

#8 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

@falserelic: That sounds like complete nonsense. They promised GTA online as a free update, it will be a free update. Rockstar wouldn't want that kind of bad press.

Microtransactions make sense, though. And from this leak it sounds like they're only letting you pay to get in-game money, so you're not going to be able to buy some super overpowered gun or vehicle - you just use it to fast track your progress, and allow people with less time to compete with those that can devote countless hours to the game.

I'm ok with this, it basically makes it like those BF3 packs that can give you max rank or max out a gun or whatever right?

They should do something where there's a symbol by their name to let you know you "cheated" or bought a pack or whatever though. That would be cool, so you could tell if the high-ranking badass in your game actually put in the work or just paid 20 dollars or whatever.

#9 Posted by ModernAlkemie (364 posts) -

Now I'm waiting for the CNN Headline:

"Teenagers rob real bank to fund virtual crime"

#10 Posted by MattyFTM (14386 posts) -

@demoskinos: Yeah, but you can only buy guns that everyone else can buy. It can speed up your progression, but it doesn't give you access to overpowered weapons that only people willing to pay real money have access to. Paying and non-paying users will have access to exactly the same set of weapons.

#11 Posted by ShaggE (6459 posts) -

On one hand: Ughhhhhhhh.

On the other: Doesn't seem like a P2W scenario, just a Pay To Not Play one.

#12 Posted by Corvak (1085 posts) -

If cash is just used for the same stuff as in single player, i'd rather just play the game to earn it.

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

No exclusive weapons or cars to buy then?
Then no, not exactly Pay 2 Win.

If you could buy like an AK-47 in game but it did way more damage if you spent real money getting it, that would be pay 2 win.

#14 Edited by darkvare (766 posts) -

i assume you are gonna have to unlock guns like in previous rockstar online games but i really don't mind i don't wanna pay money to play less of a game to unlock everything right out the gate

#15 Edited by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

Any form of microtransaction is bad practice and should be blacklisted in the gaming industry.

Offering microtransactions on top of a fully priced retail product is even more egregious. I wasn't really interested in GTA Online, but it having money hooks makes me even less interested.

#16 Posted by vikingdeath1 (972 posts) -

I don't have a huge problem with it, because I trust Rockstar to do it somewhat tastefully, or at least not require any real money purchases.

.... but if it is there I know myself well enough to know i'll probably buy it. If I can buy $100,000 for 3 dollars or something I won't be able to stop myself...

this conversation is giving me Mass Effect 3 multiplayer flashbacks.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11054 posts) -

So long as it isn't designed in a way to make it really hard to play without microtransactions, it's not really that big of an issue. Just don't spend any money on any of them.

#19 Posted by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

I would be incredibly disappointed. Unless I'm paying with in game cash.

#20 Edited by Demoskinos (14849 posts) -

@mattyftm: Right, but what I'm saying is there isn't anything stopping anyone from having a RPG with tons of ammo 5 minutes after they boot up the online section. Unless there is some gate progress for weapons like a call of duty or something.

#21 Posted by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

Microtransactions are the worst.

#22 Edited by fetchfox (1268 posts) -

As long as it doesn't cripple the game I'm fine with it. Gaining money to buy stuff is more or less the goal of everything you will be doing online, so buying ingame money sounds like fun killing bullshit. But I guess to each their own.

#23 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4212 posts) -

Oh cool.

#24 Posted by kishinfoulux (2316 posts) -

Not stopping you from playing the game. Not a big deal. Its GTA, not a MMO. It won't really matter.

#25 Edited by Jaqen_HGhar (898 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If people would rather pay real money to get in-game money, then let them. I enjoy the whole "start from scratch and build your empire/fortune/house/world/whatever", and getting the money the hard way appeals more to me. Besides, I am sure this will be somewhat like the multiplayer in GTA IV and RDR, so if you get in a world with people who obviously paid to get the big guns faster you can just switch to another world to get away.
Also, the PVP aspect is not what sounds cool about the multiplayer, the fact that you can work together with friends to earn cash does.

#26 Posted by MightyMayorMike (423 posts) -
#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2450 posts) -

But pay to win what exactly?

If you're playing in any sort of direct competitive mode, do you think they'll just let you bring in a heap of RPGs? That seems unlikely to me.

If you're just bringing that into a random fight or a coop mission, I don't see anyone getting upset about it.

#28 Posted by MB (12431 posts) -

I don't understand why people get some up in arms about stuff like this. What does it matter to you if Player X gets his in-game cash by grinding out missions or paying for cash packs on the marketplace with real money? You will never know the difference, and these players won't have access to anything you don't if you choose not to spend any additional real money.

#29 Posted by Yummylee (21684 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

I'm ok with this, it basically makes it like those BF3 packs that can give you max rank or max out a gun or whatever right?

They should do something where there's a symbol by their name to let you know you "cheated" or bought a pack or whatever though. That would be cool, so you could tell if the high-ranking badass in your game actually put in the work or just paid 20 dollars or whatever.

I agree with this.

#30 Posted by notdavid (839 posts) -

Monetizing fake video game items and equipment in a game that's already 60 bucks is gross and bad. I'm talking to you too, Mass Effect. You're both grounded.

#31 Posted by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -
@yummylee said:
@dystopiax said:

@mattyftm said:

I agree with this.

It should be a little picture of Mr. Raspberry that sits right beside your gamertag.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5691 posts) -

@mb said:

I don't understand why people get some up in arms about stuff like this. What does it matter to you if Player X gets his in-game cash by grinding out missions or paying for cash packs on the marketplace with real money? You will never know the difference, and these players won't have access to anything you don't if you choose not to spend any additional real money.

I think the reason people get up in arms about it is because they start to wonder how the base game is affected by the decision to include microtransactions. Did they balance it so that you get cash at a reasonable pace, or did they set it to take just long enough to be frustrating? Then there's just a little extra temptation to give them money. At that point you can tell the difference, and it kind of sucks to play a game knowing that you're getting a worse experience because you're not paying them even more money.

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@mb said:

People are quickly running out of things to get so up in arms about in the first place.
So whenever something like this comes up just jump on it without knowing anything about it, it's your best bet to survive this crazy world MB!

#34 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

But pay to win what exactly?

Precisely what I was thinking.