Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ben_H

Source

The delay is a bummer but I'd rather they polish it up completely than release a broken mess. I'm sure a lot of us have awful flashbacks to GTA IV's PC release.

The requirements seem quite reasonable in contrast to some other recent releases (edit: just noticed the HDD space. Oof. This one will be going on the spinny drive rather than the SSD for sure). My old PC from 2010 could theoretically run this game quite well. I was expecting far more demanding specifications. Hopefully the game scales well.

Minimum specifications:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive

Recommended specifications:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB
  • DVD Drive
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I don't understand those minimum specs at all. A 9800 GT? Really?

Also, 65GB!?! What the fuck. Wait. Why do I need a DVD drive?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

These requirements are pretty lax, to be honest. Cool!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@corevi: They might actually be putting in proper 4k assets?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Those should be an optional additional download, like how Sleeping Dogs, Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor did it.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I have waited this long why not 2 more months, especially if it means a better product, the specifications seems reasonable though.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

I'm happy for PC players who still want this but it's crazy how old this game is now from it's initial release.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So is a Nvidia GTX 660 comparable to a Geforce 660 Ti?

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense, Max Payne ran great.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is a Nvidia GTX 660 comparable to a Geforce 660 Ti?

It's slightly less powerful but yes.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep pretty low reqs all around, those min reqs seem too low though.

@corevi: They might actually be putting in proper 4k assets?

I'd rather they made that shit optional for the 1% of players that do have a 4k display...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm glad this is coming to PC. Here's hoping it's not broken, because I'm looking forward to seeing what the modding community can do with it. The redone version on current-gen was terrific, and it may well be my favorite GTA of all.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Corevi

I'm glad this is coming to PC. Here's hoping it's not broken, because I'm looking forward to seeing what the modding community can do with it. The redone version on current-gen was terrific, and it may well be my favorite GTA of all.

Most likely the files will be locked up just like Max Payne 3's were.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way down the road I'm going to buy this game for the third time so that I can mess around with it with a trainer on. The trainer alone breathed new life into GTA IV for me.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The delay is a bummer but I'd rather they take their time with it.

Also, the specs are not that bad at at all. I was excepting a LOT worse.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

65 GB. Holy. Shit.

Hope they don't pull some DRM shit and make modding a huge hassle.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone,

Bear in mind that these settings might be for 1080p 30fps. Hence the Radeon 7870 (closest gpu to the ps4).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Andorski

@tuxfool said:

Everyone,

Bear in mind that these settings might be for 1080p 30fps. Hence the Radeon 7870 (closest gpu to the ps4).

Guaranteed it's for 30fps. Still impressive though.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tuxfool

@andorski: How is it impressive? It seems very much in line with expectation. It also seems like there is little to no difference with the ps4 version (judging from the screens). What is impressive is the apparent scalability demonstrated by the minimums.

Also note that R* may still cock it up, based on past history.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game developers must not have expected that the mass storage capacity race to reset somewhat, with the SSDs becoming more popular. It's funny that two years ago, I wouldn't have even batted an eye at the 65GB requirement, but now...

Perhaps the streaming from high speed-high capacity disc drive doesn't sound so crazy.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kubqo

Maaan, i really need to buy a better CPU. Current one (2 core AMD) is really bottlenecking my PC (3GB GPU!) and i cant play these new releases like FC4, DA:I, CoD:AW, Witcher 3 and now GTA. Looks like 4quads are gonna be a new standard now.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer about the delay but stoked to know that my mid range computer will be able to run this perfectly fine!
Also 65 GB is way too fucking big. But I bet it was a whole Blu-Ray on the new consoles, soo...

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good news in that my computer almost matches up to the recommenced requirements, my processor is only a 3.10ghz. Bad news in that we'll have to wait but hopefully this means we get a much more polished release than we did with GTA IV.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Perfectly reasonable requirements.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool said:

@andorski: How is it impressive? It seems very much in line with expectation. It also seems like there is little to no difference with the ps4 version (judging from the screens). What is impressive is the apparent scalability demonstrated by the minimums.

Also note that R* may still cock it up, based on past history.

The game's recommended requirements matches the Witcher 3's minimum requirements as well as falling below recommended specs of most open world games that came out this past winter. So long as it's not a buggy mess R* seems to have knocked it out of the park.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ezekiel

@ben_h said:

The delay is a bummer but I'd rather they polish it up completely than release a broken mess.

You actually believe that? I believe the game is finished or almost finished and Rockstar is just trying to make more money from the PS4 and X1 versions, as well as from any future DLC. The game has generated well over 2 billion dollars. They have the resources to release the game now.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

As always its the framerate that is most jarring when I played this game on the PS4. The game looked great at 1080p but the framerate is just not great even for a game in a genre where 60 fps is not the most crucial. Can't wait to plat this at 2160p 60 fps.

RobDaCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well looks like my Chromebook won't play it. Guess I'll keep my PS4 version lol

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski: It is a DX9 level game, with some additional improvements. Most open world games that came out this year are brand new and much more technically advanced.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: You're going to need a new motherboard. make sure you read up on which motherboard supports the components you already have, because its not guaranteed that a new CPU will just pop into your current slot.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Wait. Why do I need a DVD drive?

That's a just a for-fun-requirement. It's like a gag, but it's SERIOUS AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT IT!

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kubqo

@sjqpersonal: i think its AM3+ socket so i should be good there. i changed every component fairly recently.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Holy shit, I can play this.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: blast your quads

Anyway i don't think this is that much different compared to dying light which quite a few raged over. To play this game (at least decently or at ps4 level fidelity) it still appears you need upper echelon hardware. Seems like barring some cool indie games and pc only titles quad core, 8gb RAM, and 2-4gb vram or more (!) Is required for entry. Feels like im already floundering just having upgraded my system a few months ago.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These specs seem pretty reasonable, as long as they don't change them sometime down the road.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

65 GB seems like a magic trick considering the size of Max Payne.

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That delay is hot garbage. That blog post is a real gem, too. I'll admit I'm pretty pissed about all this at this point, but I translated their PR-speak as, "Apologies, but PC players will have to wait a few months to play because we're STILL trying to put heists in the game! And who knows? Actually we already know, but maybe we'll let YOU know all about another NEW release date in the month of March! Btw, consoles are getting heists before the pc version even releases! Here's some specs, 65GB of WTF! 4K! Get hype! GTA 5 at full retail price! Again!"

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tuxfool

@kung_fu_viking said:

@tuxfool: It's DX10+ only.

yes, but the engine was originally on DX9 level hardware. All DX10 upgrades are mostly superficial. It is why I said with some additional improvements.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow steep requirements for an old game...

(sorry duders, easy joke to make )

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I already played it on the 360, but I will probably get it again to play it on my much better PC

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That delay is hot garbage. That blog post is a real gem, too. I'll admit I'm pretty pissed about all this at this point, but I translated their PR-speak as, "Apologies, but PC players will have to wait a few months to play because we're STILL trying to put heists in the game! And who knows? Actually we already know, but maybe we'll let YOU know all about another NEW release date in the month of March! Btw, consoles are getting heists before the pc version even releases! Here's some specs, 65GB of WTF! 4K! Get hype! GTA 5 at full retail price! Again!"

I guess I'm used to Rockstar not caring about PC gamers now, so it doesn't really phase me. Plus this gives me some time to get through a few other games in my backlog before hopping into Los Santos again. That's the sad thing about Rockstar games. I know they don't treat PC gamers with the same fidelity that they treat console gamers, and I will still buy GTA V on PC because their games are so much fun.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet the dvd that comes in the box only has the installer, then you will have to download 65GB, why even put out a boxed version at this point?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Corevi
@spitz1000 said:

I bet the dvd that comes in the box only has the installer, then you will have to download 65GB, why even put out a boxed version at this point?

It comes on 10 discs. Everytime you switch characters you also have to switch discs.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SJQPersonal

@kubqo: Nice! I'd say an R9 270 should be killer if you dont already have something better. The price range is decent and it should last like 2years+ for <$200

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sjqpersonal: I have R9 280x. What i need is CPU, as i said.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: Shit sorry! I totally responded the wrong response to you! Lol! My bad >.< Get a Phenom X6 or and X8. I have an X6 thats a monster.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Anyway i don't think this is that much different compared to dying light which quite a few raged over. To play this game (at least decently or at ps4 level fidelity) it still appears you need upper echelon hardware. Seems like barring some cool indie games and pc only titles quad core, 8gb RAM, and 2-4gb vram or more (!) Is required for entry. Feels like im already floundering just having upgraded my system a few months ago.

Upper echelon? You could build a PC that meets the recommended specs for around $750. Hell, my 5+ year old PC meets the minimum requirements. As far as quad core and 8 GB of RAM being required, the consoles have 8 cores and 8 GB of RAM. They use around 2 GB of that for the OS, which is far less than many people's PCs. Anyone who thought that they were going to get away with anything less than the specs you listed this generation doesn't know what they are doing. I would expect by this time next year that specs will be even higher. An 8800, which was the baseline GPU for much of the last generation wasn't even released until a year after the Xbox 360 shipped. Going by that, I expect the 980 is going to probably be your point of entry in a couple of years.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

@ripelivejam said:

Upper echelon? You could build a PC that meets the recommended specs for around $750. Hell, my 5+ year old PC meets the minimum requirements. As far as quad core and 8 GB of RAM being required, the consoles have 8 cores and 8 GB of RAM. They use around 2 GB of that for the OS, which is far less than many people's PCs. Anyone who thought that they were going to get away with anything less than the specs you listed this generation doesn't know what they are doing. I would expect by this time next year that specs will be even higher. An 8800, which was the baseline GPU for much of the last generation wasn't even released until a year after the Xbox 360 shipped. Going by that, I expect the 980 is going to probably be your point of entry in a couple of years.

TIL a sub $200 GPU from 2 and a half years ago is upper echelon hardware :P