GTAV Rockstar Editor Thread

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Hey Everyone,

So basically GTA V's Rockstar Editor is the spiritual successor to 3D Movie Maker a game that I spent way too much time dicking around with as a kid. I thought it would be good to have a thread where we show off any cool short movies we made with this tool.

I'm thinking instead of embedding the videos right in the thread that we would write a description of the video and then link out to it to prevent youtube spam.

So here's a dumb little movie I made, just trying it out, this guy loves kids, man!

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The editor is really good. I like it a lot. I recorded a clip when I was playing with my friend online and made this little thing:

Loading Video...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rollingzeppelin

The editor is really good. I like it a lot. I recorded a clip when I was playing with my friend online and made this little thing:

Loading Video...

Bah ha ha, I like how he just casually reaches out and closes the door at the end.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jorbit

@evilsbane: @rollingzeppelin:

Thanks!

I've got 3 more here, here and here. The editor in this game is just great. My only issue is the fact that you can't move the camera outside of a certain range of the player, so it limits you in a few ways. That said, I love the nice camera tools they put in and the easy way to get into it (especially if you've done any video editing at all in the past).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@lunnington: The main issue I've had is the action replay feature deletes what it has recorded if you die. I had an absolutely hilarious moment doing a job online where I drove my car into a group of gansters, jumped out, it exploded and set them all on fire, and I died in the crossfire. Sadly when I respawned and hit save it said the clip was 9s long and had only recorded since I respawned.

Any idea how to get around this? Can you save the clip while it says "Wasted" on the screen?

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yeah I've had that issue too. There's been a few times where I've pressed it and it erased itself. I haven't found a way around it. It'd be nice if there was a setting to automatically save the clip every time you die at least.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

@lunnington: Impeccable timing on the music cues there. Very good.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By armaan8014

Oh man! I need to get my copy fast so that I can post here soon. Wait for me! :3

Also. I think it'd be nicer if you encouraged directly embedding the videos here. It's much more tempting and easier to watch videos on the same page rather than follow links for each video.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: Yeah it's a bummer. Can't complain too much, it's still a fantastic (unexpected) feature anyway!

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorbit

WOW, this thing can do 5% speed and it doesn't even look that janky (except for some player animations)! Here's a video I tested it out on:

Loading Video...

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

senescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I spent the last five days creating this.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senescent: holy hell that's insane! Was that really all made with the R* editor?! Either way good stuff.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JimmySmiths

Heres a couple crappy things I threw together on launch. The editor is really damn fun, definitely worth the price. You will notice in the beginning of the first one a few rendering glitches. I tried re-rendering which didn't fix it, but the glitches are not there when watching the video in the real-time in the project viewer. I'm not sure whats up.

Edit: I've noticed a few people here were using music that isn't available for me to select when adding music tracks. Does it have to be unlocked through story progression or did you add music post Rockstar Editor?

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lunnington: I love "Bike Run!" It's like, art, man.

I threw together a concise little mood piece:

Loading Video...

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TehBuLL

@senescent: this is seriously one of the best types of these videos I've seen. It rock star had put this out as a trailer to buy the game...first I would have called them liars then I would have been floored. Great fucking work.

@lunnington: I was rooting for bike guy damnit!

Very excited by all of this. Watching Valves yearly contestants and already seeing some of these match that tool is fantastic.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmysmiths: I found no way to add custom music to the R* editor, so yes that was added in post. It's actually the only thing I add in post - everything else is all done using the R* editor.

If you guys want to know where the game puts the rendered video files, open Run on windows and type in %appdata% and hit enter, then go up a level and click Local\Rockstar Games\videos\rendered

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

@lunnington: Haha, timing on Phil Collins kicking in is perfect!

I've made a few videos so far:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

It's a shame text placement and audio placement isn't a bit more robust. Finicky to play with without a proper video preview. It's weird how you can only reduce a radio track to 30 seconds minimum, whilst a soundtrack piece can be any length of time. I guess that's some licensing stuff for youtube.

Hope someone makes a mod to increase the camera boundary. I can understand the limitations only keeping track of local objects but further shots would be fun to do!

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

It's pretty cool, here's my effort : Stealin' Jets

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you guys mainly using the action replay feature to capture spontaneous clips or manually recording shots on purpose?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Has anyone found a way of doing a fade in/out with it painstakingly going frame by frame and increasing /reducing transparency?

spud693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spud693

@bollard: My Stealin' Jets video was planned, you can see the cut in the middle, as the actual process of flying through the hangar doors without crashing into something or the Jet I was trying to steal was pretty rough, took a good few hours of repeated attempts to get what I wanted out of it...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spud693: Dang. Really wish I had more spare time to play with this, barely have enough to play through single player as it is!

JimmySmiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

Are you guys mainly using the action replay feature to capture spontaneous clips or manually recording shots on purpose?

I have been using director mode only and then recording when I want. This is just what I prefer, but I have seen multiple people say that their action replay clips don't always save.

@ramone said:

Has anyone found a way of doing a fade in/out with it painstakingly going frame by frame and increasing /reducing transparency?

You can choose a fade in/out effect on the first and last markers of the clip. If you are trying to do it in the middle of the clip, I think you are out of luck.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senescent: woooooooooooooow that was insane! That shit was so dark in the best way possible.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: all of mine have been from action replay.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: For action replay is there a way to always have it on? It seems every time you die, load, and maybe even complete a mission, it turns itself off.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Seeing this game run at 60 and the editor stuff is seriously making me consider getting GTA V a third time. The editor stuff seems awesome.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fetchfox

@senescent: That was pretty good. Loved the angles and overall feel.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jorbit

@bollard: Don't think so. I always check out of habit by hitting F2. If it doesn't say "Action Replay is Now On" then it was already on, and if it was off then it's now turned on.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: Hah, okay, I'll just get into that habit then.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't anything special, but I wanted to mess around with the editor to get a feel for what you can do with it. I just captured a random clip using the Action Replay, spent an afternoon playing with the editor, and this is my result... I can already tell I will be wasting a lot of time on this neat feature.

Loading Video...

It's a pretty basic video, but I figured I'd add it to the thread anyway - I had a lot of fun making this dumb little thing!

Potoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really been this excited since I was making stick comics back in junior high. There is just to much. Me and a buddy are going to start creating some web shorts, let us know what you think!

Loading Video...
gravityturner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gravityturner

Here's the second film I made using only Rockstar Editor. It's a shortfilm of LS Downtown nightlife. I think I managed to get a nice vibe to it, and some good shots. Already have some ideas for the next films. This is so addicting! There's some really good videos already in this thread.

Loading Video...

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

These are damn awesome! Looking forward to both watching more cool stuff people do and maybe spend some time making something myself. I only made this small thing when I got really frustrated with how many problems I have with the stability of online play:

Loading Video...

Still love the game though.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

There's a silly moment from a heist I played last night.

I've been using action replay like I would shadowplay, just grabbing clips I think are silly and uploading them. I've yet to try out any real projects, but I like what you guys are going for with a lot of these.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: That was pretty good, 10/10 for the landing!

That's mostly what I've been using it for so far too. I doubt I'll end up creating any big projects any time soon, but it's nice to have a way of easily capturing those kinds of moments. Especially since those seem to happen a lot in this game!

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Once again, just some more shenanigans in online mode that makes for some great editor clips. I'm in love with this thing.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first video created using the Rockstar Editor. Thanks for the visual ideas everyone. Basically made a cinematic version of an action replay clip. Need to play more story mode to unlock more Director Mode options. The in-game editor is pretty impressive although I wish score/song editing was integrated better. The 30-second minimum song requirement is strange.

Loading Video...

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superjoe: That ending was incredible! Well done.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By BaconHound

Ok. First attempt. I found it much easier to "film" car chases/racing/crashes than actual characters. Some of the examples above prove that it can be done, but I have a hard time making the "actor" look natural moving around. It was a lot of fun though - I'm already thinking of other things to try.

Loading Video...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superjoe: Yeah the music editing is really dodgy. It's weird when you are adding audio tracks you can't even see a preview of what the point in the clip looks like where you are starting the song...

How did you do the panning shot inside the shop? I haven't worked out how to make the camera move when it's not forced to "look at" or "follow" a player or NPC.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bollard: Maybe there's an easier way, but here's how I managed to make the camera pan.

Set a marker and create a free camera that doesn't move with or look at anything. Set the blending to smooth (or linear - I haven't really figured out the difference yet). Find the point where you want the pan/movement to end and add another marker/free camera. Aim/move it where you want, and the first camera will (SHOULD) pan/zoom/move to the second one's location.

I found that this is easier said than done, unless I'm missing something obvious. The speed of the pan was typically different from what I wanted, and - particularly with a series of panning shots - it was tricky to get the camera to continue moving smoothly and consistently. Maybe it just takes practice. Good luck!

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: @baconhound:

Yeah, that's exactly what I had to do to pan the camera. Multiple free camera markers along a path combined with smooth blending. A lot of trial and error.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers