So I hated Trevor (major endgame spoilers)

• 60 results
Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I can't be the only one, but playing through the game I just don't see how people got onboard with his character at all. From the opening of killing Jonny so horrifically, to the crazy incongruous torture scene, to the human stew, to the fucking stupid Patricia stuff, to taking over Wade's cousin's place and butchering both him and his girlfriend on a whim, I really don't get why/how people like him.

Outside of pure escapism and laughing at how completely batshit he is, what would you say is his appeal? I never got on board with anything, and either I missed something or I never got any explanation for his character outside of a jokey expositional scene where he talks about a troubled childhood, but the delivery was as if he was almost making it up?

I can't help but think that Rockstar wanted to make the most reprehenisible playable character in a game like this, just to see if people would defend him in any way based on the most threadbare justification.

What do you guys think?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

I think that he was probably the most interesting character in the game but I don't think you're wrong for hating him at all.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree full-heartedly. Please don't judge me based on what makes me uncomfortable or at the very least put off, but his character all but ruined the game for me.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the most interesting and fun character in the story. I really liked michael and all, but Trevor was just gold. The voice actor NAILED IT.

Trevor is the protohipster.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah, they try really hard to make him both an irredeemable monster, yet a character you're supposed to sympathize with? Yeah, no chance rockstar

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By GreggD

According to the radio, Wade's cousin was still alive...also, fuck you, Patricia was great!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I like Trevor because he's Canadian

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Flappy

Ain't nothin' wrong with a crazy guy in a crazy world.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate him too, cause he's a mass murdering fuck head.

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers guys!

For me he's interesting in a way that I think plays more into mature discussions around videogames as a medium as oppose to anything contextual. I love that Trevor's intro exists as a comment on how you played the previous GTA's and the reaction you're supposed to have to what is ostensibly mindless violence, but I think it could have been done better, and honestly I never really came back onboard with him after that.

I was also never on the 'fun' side of taking advantage of Wade's cousin either, and as much as I'm up for tellin the all-controlling girlfriend to do one, cutting to Trevor covered in blood with them nowhere to be seen actually genuinely shocked me, but again that might be the point.

@greggd said:

According to the radio, Wade's cousin was still alive...also, fuck you, Patricia was great!

Really? How? Not one single second of their interaction made one iota of sense, even after Michael remarks on it

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's interesting, but at the same time, he almost ruined the whole game for me. It's weird, at times, I started to actually like him, and then I remembered the terrible way he killed Johnny and that he killed Wade's cousin for seemingly no reason at all after making his life a living hell for a while. He's completely unlikeable but I think that's kind of the point. Also, there was a certain questchain with a real estate agent guy that made him even more unlikeable than he already was for me.

Honestly the biggest disappointment about Trevor for me is the fact that he just wasn't at all the antagonist at the end and decided to just forgive Micheal for everything all of a sudden and vise versa. Talk about a waste of something potentially cool in favor for something infinitely more generic. I've come to accept that GTA games are just destined to have boring endings.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Trevor is the best character. He is clearly a ruthless killer and sociopath, but he is also extremely loyal to his friends, the smartest of the three, and charismatic and optimistic in a way Mike and Frank are not. Upon finding Michael has been alive for the past 10 years and has not contacted him, he puts aside their unresolved beef and immediately pushes Michael to be a Dad and find Tracey. For all his disregard of Floyd's protests about involving him in his crime, he actually does try to show Floyd he is being taken advantage of by Debra and stand up for himself.

He mentions on a few occasions how he had a hard childhood (father/mother issues) and how he feel Michael used him (when driving to meet M for the first time with Wade). His love for Patricia is probably affected by his mommy issues. His recounting of his past is delivered in a humorous way because Trevor is a deeply troubled person, and perhaps that is how he deals with it.

Trevor is the heart of GTA V.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who doesn't like Trevor is a hipster.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as the scene where he killed Wade's cousin and his girlfriend, at that point in the game after the Trevor's introduction scene and the torture scene, I was kind of just rolling my eyes. I wasn't shocked or offended or whatever their intended effect was. I was just thinking "this is really stupid."

And yeah, the end where Trevor just forgives Michael for no reason just makes zero sense in relation to his character. Even if I didn't enjoy much of what Trevor did throughout the game, it still made sense to him as a character. But just saying "okay, I forgive Michael for lying about our friend being dead for all these years and using the FBI to manipulate me to believe that he was alive" is complete nonsense when you factor in everything else Trevor has done throughout the rest of the game.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I don't think I hate any character in GTA V . I just love how dumb and crazy everyone is !

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Trevor because he is nihilism taken to its utmost extreme. He's the Tyler Durden of the GTA universe, which is kind of crazy considering everything in GTA is cranked to 11 anyhow. That said, I hated him at first because I liked Johnny. However I didn't understand how a staunchly anti-drug guy like Johnny could start smoking meth with the woman he swore off forever because he finally realized how bad she was for him. Point is, I realized I didn't hate Trevor for killing Johnny, I hated what Rockstar did to Johnny.

None of that is to say that I approve of or would even want to hang out with Trevor. He's honestly unsettling, but that makes him even more interesting to me.

And as a stray observation, the torture mission is blown way out of proportion. I really thought it was going to be much worse, and it turns out to be tamer than any episode of 24 and nowhere near as disturbing as the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs. I'm usually not one to say man up, but come on guys. That's not even touching the fact that the whole thing was Rockstar essentially pulling the kid gloves off and punching the torture issue really hard in the face.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

As far as the scene where he killed Wade's cousin and his girlfriend, at that point in the game after the Trevor's introduction scene and the torture scene, I was kind of just rolling my eyes. I wasn't shocked or offended or whatever their intended effect was. I was just thinking "this is really stupid."

And yeah, the end where Trevor just forgives Michael for no reason just makes zero sense in relation to his character. Even if I didn't enjoy much of what Trevor did throughout the game, it still made sense to him as a character. But just saying "okay, I forgive Michael for lying about our friend being dead for all these years and using the FBI to manipulate me to believe that he was alive" is complete nonsense when you factor in everything else Trevor has done throughout the rest of the game.

Aside from flipping out on Johnny, which its implied he was going to kill him eventually anyways since h wanted to kick the lost out of the area and just used that as his jumpt o actually do it. The torture scene (which he was pretty much forced to do sure he didnt argue but still), and killing wades cousin and hsi girlfriend (who to be fair, drew weapons on him first) He didnt do too much SUPER fucked up stuff. So yeah...

Plus Trevor has a super strong sense of loyalty and feels strong bonds with people. Note how quickly he became close with Franklin and his intro when he finds out michael is alive. Yeah. It makes sense he'd forgive him, grudgingly, but still forgive him.

Say what you will about Trevor, but at least he's honest.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

@clonedzero said:

He's the most interesting and fun character in the story. I really liked michael and all, but Trevor was just gold. The voice actor NAILED IT.

Trevor is the protohipster.

@jay_ray said:

I like Trevor because he's Canadian

The truth lies somewhere between these two.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: The problem is that Trevor seemed ready to kill Michael before that. When the Chinese guys kidnapped him and threatened to kill him, he didn't give a fuck. If it wasn't for Franklin, Michael would have died and Trevor would have let it happen. So, he can't be that loyal.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Coafi

I love Trevor. Everything we do in GTA is fucked up in some way, so why in the world would they have to be a nice guy or a normal sane person? He's personality makes sense, he is kinda a reflection of all the dumb, crazy shit we do in a game like this. Also, the voice actor was brilliant.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate him but I definitely see the motivation behind killing him. He's a messed up guy. BUT, I don't see Franklin wanting to kill him. He sees Michael and Trevor as his homies.

I also love how crazy he is so...there's something.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

Really? How? Not one single second of their interaction made one iota of sense, even after Michael remarks on it

He fell in love at first sight, and treated her like a precious artifact. She got from him what she wasn't getting from her husband, and Trevor's whole take on her was that she was such a nice woman, and didn't treat him like shit, that she shouldn't be forced to take shit from her husband. Which is why when he brought her back, we find out that Trevor had basically fucked him up to the point where he conceded to treat her right from then on. It made sense to me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@shalashaskauk666: See, here is the thing I don't think Trevor is a "likable" character but he IS an interesting one. Just because he isn't likable doesn't mean he isn't well written or given proper motivation for his actions. Hell, I don't think you're supposed to really like any of the cast. Micheal is a compulsive liar, who has anger issues and while Franklin is loyal to his friends he still is an ice cold killer and a thief.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clonedzero

@milkman: Well, he flat out refuses to help Franklin kill Michael if you pick the "kill michael" ending so...uh YEAH he can be that loyal. He's so mad at Michael simply because Michael betrayed his trust.

In that cutscene where you save Michael as Franklin and Trevor shows up at Franklins Aunts house he flips out after tripping over the fence because he's so conflicted about wanting to save michael, so he's lashing out at franklin. He also lets franklin know who has michael knowing franklin would save him.

But like i said he actually gets SUPER pissed at Franklin for wanting to kill Michael if you choose that ending and hangs up on him. Just because he acts like he wants michael dead doesn't mean he really wants to. In alot of convos between Michael and Trevor its heavily suggested that Trevor acts out to keep up an image that he's alot tougher than he seems when he's not, and theres plenty of evidence about that in the game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@milkman said:

@clonedzero: The problem is that Trevor seemed ready to kill Michael before that. When the Chinese guys kidnapped him and threatened to kill him, he didn't give a fuck. If it wasn't for Franklin, Michael would have died and Trevor would have let it happen. So, he can't be that loyal.

He actually explains his motivations if you play as Franklin and invite Trevor to hang out. Its interesting how much further insight you can get on some characters if you hang out with them in specific pairs or trios.

Spidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trevor is by far the most interesting character in the game and one of the most interesting video game characters in recent memory.

Perhaps the blandness of the other two help him stand out more, but I loved Trevor, he was fantastic.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: I see where you're coming from but I still don't think the end of the game gives a proper conclusion to their relationship. After Franklin saves Michael, Trevor and Michael are kind of just okay with each other. They bicker with each other, sure. But I feel like the scene is missing a pivotal scene where they come to this understanding with each other. I picked the "deathwish" ending and the whole thing was way too happy and neat for a game about three psychopaths.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quarters

Though I'm certainly not a GTA fan, Trevor is the reason why I will never play GTAV. From what I've seen of the game, he seems completely abhorrent. I never want to play as him, or even see him as anything unless he's the villain that I get to take down. Characters like him are why I tend to loathe Rockstar games. I know everyone has their own tastes and everything, but the appeal of characters like him(not in terms of finding him interesting, but in terms of actually liking him as a person) just completely baffles me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@shalashaskauk666 said:

@greggd said:

He fell in love at first sight, and treated her like a precious artifact. She got from him what she wasn't getting from her husband, and Trevor's whole take on her was that she was such a nice woman, and didn't treat him like shit, that she shouldn't be forced to take shit from her husband. Which is why when he brought her back, we find out that Trevor had basically fucked him up to the point where he conceded to treat her right from then on. It made sense to me.

If Trevor lives to see the world after you finish the game, you meet a new character that explains a lot about Patricia. I'm talking about Trevor's mother, who looks a LOT like Patricia. Just one more damn creepy thing about Trevor.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InternetDotCom

But in the end Trevor is really just powerless in front of his mother

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think what i like the most about Trevor is that besides being a psychopath and a meth head he's actually really sharp and super smart. It's not something you often see when games depict a character that acts like Trevor.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@shalashaskauk666 said:

@greggd said:

If Trevor lives to see the world after you finish the game, you meet a new character that explains a lot about Patricia. I'm talking about Trevor's mother, who looks a LOT like Patricia. Just one more damn creepy thing about Trevor.

Yeah, especially if you finish his Rampage missions...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked him so much because I can relate to him so much more than the other characters.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

he's a non redeemable personality that intentionally makes the other guys look redeemable in my opinion....

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Trevor is just a character who acts like he is a crazy open world protagonist all the time in a lot of ways. The same way some people about feeling like they can be crazy in character with Trevor. I found his dialogue very entertaining and it was cool to see a character like that in a game. A couple things for Trevor though.

He is a murderous guy, but he does have some soft spots and a code. If you choose to kill Michael with Franklin, Franklin calls Trevor to come help him and Trevor says he's a traitor and won't help. I personally like dark or kind of unlikable characters. I found Trevor very interesting from the start, even if I didn't like him, because of how things were handled with all the Lost. It was pretty brutal to watch Johnny go down and then his two pals get unceremoniously killed.

If it was me, armchair writing GTA, I would have probably made an ending where Trevor or Michael had to go. They would have had a showdown with each other and it would've been unavoidable. It would have sucked as I like both characters, but that's part of why it would be so effective. The A and B endings had some moments, but were mostly a little flat, and C is alright but kind of not much changes and it's such an obvious way to go.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By LackingSaint

I would've liked his character more if it was consistent; he seems to switch from "Everything I do is an excuse for violence" to "Everything I do is a fuck-you to an authority figure" to "Everything I do is a cry for help" to "Everything I do is for the betterment of my world" to "Everything I do is fear i'm being laughed at" on a whim. That might seem to make sense in a "we're writing a crazy character you can't understand" way, but it doesn't make sense in a "we're trying to write a well-developed, compelling main character". Though it's EXTREMELY limited, Franklin and Micheal do progress as characters in the game. Trevor has none of that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By Yummylee

I loved Trevor, for a lot of the reasons already stated in here. Franklin was the only one of the three i wasn't too fussed about, as he barely fitted into the main story and often felt like a third wheel. This was very clearly a story revolving around the relationship of Michael and Trevor; Franklin, despite also being playable, came across more as a supporting character than a fellow protagonist.

A lot of the story when it's centred on Franklin is him doing stupid things for stupid people, whining about not getting paid, and then doing it all over again. Plus I was really hoping they'd more with his relationship with Lamar, and not to mention his ex-girlfriend. Franklin overall just wasn't a very interesting character; he's the most sympathetic out of the three and plays well as the straight-man to a lot of their antics, but he's also simultaneously kinda boring and there was little drama or... anything going on within his own stories.

Part of that definitely comes down to Rockstar just haphazardly shoveling that guy Stretch (along with many other undeveloped antagonists) under the rug at the last second, as he would have made for a solid story arc for Franklin as he tries to escape the hood.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

By being an open psychopath i felt like Trevor is the sanest of the 3 characters. He is consistent with his psychopathy and acknowledges it. Whereas if you look at the outward attitudes of the other 2 and contrast it to their actual in game actions they don't even realize how fucked up they really are. Trevor knows his shit stinks, Franklin and Micheal have a diarrhea and think it's still roses. Hell he even calls them out on it.

Hinamotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that he has the potential to be the most disliked character of all but, in a game where you can, in a single mission, kill dozens of other people, I would expect some kind of lunacy and paranoia surrounding a GTA character, making Trevor the most consistent character all around. For me, it is a bit more disconcerning when the main protagonist does not simply kill a mission giver when they treat them like garbage.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated him at first. I think his introduction was so off-putting that I was pretty disgusted. I didn't play the game, I watched my husband play the entire thing, and I also watched him play all of GTA IV and the DLC, so I was very familiar with the characters coming into that scene. And I hated it. Totally stunned about what they did.

Gradually, as the story progressed, I warmed up to him. I think they try to explain his issues in the game, although not always successfully, and so I think I came to a place where I may not love him, but I feel I understand him better and understand his motivations a little more. However, the resolution in the C ending (which is what my husband chose) seemed way too clean and way too happy, especially for Trevor and Michael and their relationship. I do agree that maybe Trevor's hate was a lot of false bluster. I think he definitely lashes out when hurt more so than because he is actually angry. That is all up for interpretation, though.

So I don't love him, but I don't hate him. I think I understand him.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaLe

You may as well be on another plane of existence because I can't even begin to relate to this viewpoint. I am just utterly incapable of it, and I'm sure that's more of a knock against me than anything, but damn. Goddamn.

TrottyVek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 7

The craziness of Trevor is a shallow interpretation of him. He's a sociopath with his own warped ideas of right, wrong, justice, and loyalty. Personally, what I found so interesting about the character was how the madman only made up only half of his character. He was also a sad man, a lonely man, a man that needs praise and approval, and someone that's still a naive child. You don't have to agree, i don't expect you to, but i figured i'd explain what i liked about the character. That being said, we both killed him but for different reasons.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By stonyman65

I can kind of understand why people didn't like him, but I loved the character. They nailed it.

Trevor (to me) is easily the best character in the game, if not the entire series. He embodies the quintessential GTA character.

I picked option C because I felt that was the most logical ending to the story - the underlying theme to the whole game is loyalty above all else, and I felt that killing either Michael or Trevor violated that. Homies gotta stick together even though they have their differences.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I loved Trevor, for a lot of the reasons already stated in here. Franklin was the only one of the three i wasn't too fussed about, as he barely fitted into the main story and often felt like a third wheel. This was very clearly a story revolving around the relationship of Michael and Trevor; Franklin, despite also being playable, came across more as a supporting character than a fellow protagonist.

A lot of the story when it's centred on Franklin is him doing stupid things for stupid people, whining about not getting paid, and then doing it all over again. Plus I was really hoping they'd more with his relationship with Lamar, and not to mention his ex-girlfriend. Franklin overall just wasn't a very interesting character; he's the most sympathetic out of the three and plays well as the straight-man to a lot of their antics, but he's also simultaneously kinda boring and there was little drama or... anything going on within his own stories.

Part of that definitely comes down to Rockstar just haphazardly shoveling that guy Stretch (along with many other undeveloped antagonists) under the rug at the last second, as he would have made for a solid story arc for Franklin as he tries to escape the hood.

I agree with all your points. Franklin did feel like a third wheel, I thought we would get more from his side of the story but no, it didn't happen. DLC? Who knows? Maybe, we get more on the ex-girlfriend, ex-gang woes and Lamar. Also, Chop is cute dog and all, but what was the point in that?

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Trevor actually a cannibal? There were plenty of references to it throughout the game but unless I missed something it was never actually confirmed.

Trevor is easily my favorite character in the game and I agree with some of the above people about Franklin being the worst of the three. I liked him early on but his story didn't really go anywhere, he just kinda tagged along for the ride.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zeforgotten

What is with peoples reaction to him killing Johnny? The least likeable character of ANY GTA game. Including the very first one.

Did none of you watch American History X? Nothing horrible about Trevor compared to that one scene in that movie, Johnny got stuck under a boot, so what.

I find Trevor to be a fantastic character.

And Johnny was a bitch who deserved what he got.

Useless junkie wasteofspace

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So people have reacted against the torture scene but what Michael is doing at the time is just as bad. Him and a federal agent are just out to kill some rich dude from Azerbaijan and they don't care who it is. The torture makes it seem like they are getting good information, are they? Well one of them gets blown away with a sniper rifle and you never know why, or even if it was the right guy. Trevor goes along with it before freeing the guy he was supposed to kill, so yeah, he's the kind of guy that will pull your teeth out with a pair of pliers and then cut you a break. I killed Trevor because that was what I thought Franklin would do, at one point he even said to Michael, why don't we kill him? So to get the Feds off his back he gets rid of a psycho, they might of worked together but no-one would want Trevor to hang around just to be friends, come on

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By Claude

Trevor killed the best part of GTA IV when he first showed his face. He stood for everything I hated about GTA IV's Niko. Fuck it, kill 'em all with no remorse. I loved everything about him.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I dislike Trevor, he's like your school bully. The only time when I feel that he's not that bad, is when Patricia called him. He's that kind of guy that need a woman to put a leash on him, and Patricia is that woman.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like him either, as a person. But as a character I found him very interesting. I liked both Michael and Franklin alot more though.