So which outlet will be the one to lowball this game in the reviews?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll So which outlet will be the one to lowball this game in the reviews? (455 votes)

IGN 1%
Gamespot 7%
Gametrailers 2%
Giant Bomb 12%
Polygon 36%
Joystiq 3%
Destructoid 13%
Eurogamer 7%
Kotaku 5%
Other (If so specify who) 12%

We all know some site will do this just for hits, so let's make a game of this. Make your predictions now. Also by "lowball" I mean give an 8/8.5 instead of a 9 or a 10 because we all know that's a terrible score, but it's just low enough to drive gamers into a frenzy. Also I'm sure I'm missing some sites, but I got the main ones covered so whatever.

If I had to make a guess I'd say people will vote for Polygon or Gamespot. Both seem to be notorious for giving out harsher scores. Gametrailers is a bit of a dark horse to me. However you want to take reviewers into account. I wanna say most sites have stated who will be reviewing the game for them. I know Chris Plante will be for Polygon (if it was Arthur this would probably the the frontrunner), and Jeff for our own Giant Bomb. No idea for IGN. If Tom McShea does for Gamespot that seems like a shoo in for the winner, but I'm unsure. I'm sure some are thinking Jim Sterling, but I don't think so.

This is mostly for fun and my own curiosity, so don't take it SUPER serious.

• 
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

5/5 Giantbomb.com "It's like Gone Home with guns" -Patrick Klepek

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@bleeble said:

@fattony12000: That's like an 8 out of 10, right?

Sounds more like a Guava out of Cerulean Green to me.

I've been an advocate of the binary review score system for over twenty years.

• 1 = play it
  • 0 = don't play it

#fuckhundredpointscales

#fucktenpointscales

#fuckfivepointscales

Oh, so you're more of a Kotaku guy. Their binary Yes or No review system strikes your fancy, eh? I do think it's nice that they just flatly reject scores and say, "Hey, this is me as an individual reviewer saying whether I liked this game or not. Do with that opinion what you will."

(I know we were joking around, but you actually brought up a valid alternative)

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kishinfoulux said:

@hunter5024 said:

Destructoid is a loose cannon, and Polygon tries so hard to be different. Either one of them could do it. Let's not just assume this game deserves high scores without even playing it though.

D-Toid and Polygon have such bad reputations, for whatever reason. Jim is sort of like Jeff in that he very much likes what he likes (like Dynasty Warriors for instance). As for Polygon they've always strived to be a bit tougher on games, in regards to reviews, which I welcome considering sites like IGN hand out high scores like candy. People constantly bring up the Sim City thing and I don't see the big deal. They were up front about how their reviews for games of that type work. Whatever though.

Personally I think it's totally fine that Jim's willing to give Dynasty Warriors really high scores (even if I feel like he ought to at least dock a few points for objectively bad technical issues.) It's stuff like giving Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5 that just baffles me, especially when some of the complaints are as dumb as they are in that particular review. As for the polygon Sim City debacle, they just could have handled it better. Their multiple score reductions made the positive review feel like it lacked conviction, especially when all of the problems they docked it for were finally fixed and the score never returned to it's original value. Somehow I just started arguing about review scores and I hate myself for it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

@bleeble said:

• 1 = play it
  • 0 = don't play it

#fuckhundredpointscales

#fucktenpointscales

#fuckfivepointscales

Oh, so you're more of a Kotaku guy. Their binary Yes or No review system strikes your fancy, eh? I do think it's nice that they just flatly reject scores and say, "Hey, this is me as an individual reviewer saying whether I liked this game or not. Do with that opinion what you will."

Fattony12000, he's a Kotaku guy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5/5 Giantbomb.com "It's like Gone Home with guns" -Patrick Klepek

5/5 Giantbomb.com "F*CK BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS. GTA V is Game of the Year." -Brad Shoemaker

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By Silver-Streak

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Jeff typed to Brad and the others on Daily Dota today, and said "GTA5 is not very good" (They read off most of what he was typing). I may have misheard the "Not" bit.

I tried to skip through the recording on twitch.tv to find it again, but that is a lot of DOTA to go through.

Edit: Per @truthtellah and @clonedzero below, it appears I misinterpreted the tone, and this was the guys putting words in Jeff's mouth for laughs.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Jeff typed to Brad and the others on Daily Dota today, and said "GTA5 is not very good" (They read off most of what he was typing). I may have misheard the "Not" bit. I tried to skip through the recording on twitch.tv to refind it, but thats a lot of DOTA to go through.

heh. Nah, they started being silly and putting words in his mouth. They asked him to play with them, and he had, "NO NO NO" on the screen. But they started saying, "Oh, Jeff is saying YES YES YES." And then they joked that he was now saying, "GTA5 is not very good!" when he didn't say anything like that. They were just trying to tease him, because they know he's playing it right now and the review is coming up.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:
@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

@bleeble said:

• 1 = play it
  • 0 = don't play it

#fuckhundredpointscales

#fucktenpointscales

#fuckfivepointscales

Hey, well, you're in good company, man. I'm not always the biggest fan of everything they post, but I have certainly been on the site for years. If anyone could be considered a Kotaku guy, I'd say I fit the bill. Though, Giant Bomb has been my main for a good while now. :)

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone has Polygon's number! We all know what your up to over there!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin said:

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Jeff typed to Brad and the others on Daily Dota today, and said "GTA5 is not very good" (They read off most of what he was typing). I may have misheard the "Not" bit.

I tried to skip through the recording on twitch.tv to find it again, but that is a lot of DOTA to go through.

Thats not what happened. Jeff was trolling the dota stream pretty hard (it was hilarious) and they were like "Oh gta5 must not be that good"

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Darji

who ever will it be this time it is certainly not IGN^^

Loading Video...

All 5 reasons are GTA V XD

As for Giantbomb it will clearly be a 5/%. With a GOTY contender and mostly winning GOTY

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@kishinfoulux: It being "a mainline GTA game" doesn't mean anything. Its just as subject to ridicule as any other game.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: It being "a mainline GTA game" doesn't mean anything. Its just as subject to ridicule as any other game.

... or does it?

dun Dun DUN!

#followthemoney

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Hells

Every time I see one of these threads speculating review scores it reminds me of this Heroes of the Web Shawn Elliot did on the GFW Radio Podcast...

Loading Video...

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:

@truthtellah said:
@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

@bleeble said:

• 1 = play it
  • 0 = don't play it

#fuckhundredpointscales

#fucktenpointscales

#fuckfivepointscales

Hey, well, you're in good company, man. I'm not always the biggest fan of everything they post, but I have certainly been on the site for years. If anyone could be considered a Kotaku guy, I'd say I fit the bill. Though, Giant Bomb has been my main for a good while now. :)

Here's a photoshop I made of Stephen Totilo several years ago.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom Chick. He'll complain that it's a terrible RTS and give it a 2.

capshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im going curve ball and saying Edge is going for an 8.5

Yeah, I'm sort of expecting something low from Edge. I'd probably go with a flat 8 though, not sure why.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By MeierTheRed

Where is the: don't care, fuck numbers on reviews option in that poll?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#174  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'll roll the dice and go with Destructoid. I think Jim Sterling is reviewing it, and he's been known to go against the grain on otherwise critically well received games.

Another prediction: Jeff drops a four star review that highly praises many aspects of the game and people get pissed off anyway. I know he really liked GTA IV, but he didn't seem to connect with RDR or Max Payne 3.

Just wild speculation, but we'll see soon enough...

EDIT:

Well, well. Speak o' the devil. Jonathan Holmes of Destructoid just dropped this interesting tweet:

I have read a review of Grand Theft Auto 5, and I am no longer going to buy it.

https://twitter.com/TronKnotts/status/379315130036518912

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

@hunter5024 said:

Destructoid is a loose cannon, and Polygon tries so hard to be different. Either one of them could do it. Let's not just assume this game deserves high scores without even playing it though.

D-Toid and Polygon have such bad reputations, for whatever reason. Jim is sort of like Jeff in that he very much likes what he likes (like Dynasty Warriors for instance). As for Polygon they've always strived to be a bit tougher on games, in regards to reviews, which I welcome considering sites like IGN hand out high scores like candy. People constantly bring up the Sim City thing and I don't see the big deal. They were up front about how their reviews for games of that type work. Whatever though.

Personally I think it's totally fine that Jim's willing to give Dynasty Warriors really high scores (even if I feel like he ought to at least dock a few points for objectively bad technical issues.) It's stuff like giving Assassin's Creed 2 a 4.5 that just baffles me, especially when some of the complaints are as dumb as they are in that particular review. As for the polygon Sim City debacle, they just could have handled it better. Their multiple score reductions made the positive review feel like it lacked conviction, especially when all of the problems they docked it for were finally fixed and the score never returned to it's original value. Somehow I just started arguing about review scores and I hate myself for it.

Eh honestly I love ACII, but I could see how it would be terrible to some people. Some people really don't like that series so it doesn't shock me.

I can't tell if you're trolling me or if this shit is just going over your head. I'm stating reality. GTA main line games always get high marks and tons of praise. This will be no different. That's not because it deserves to or because I want it to or whatever. That's REALITY. That's like me saying it's a safe bet a Naughty Dog game will get high marks. It probably will, deserved or not. Not hard to understand.

I'll roll the dice and go with Destructoid. I think Jim Sterling is reviewing it, and he's been known to go against the grain on otherwise critically well received games.

Another prediction: Jeff drops a four star review that highly praises many aspects of the game and people get pissed off anyway. I know he really liked GTA IV, but he didn't seem to connect with RDR or Max Payne 3.

Just wild speculation, but we'll see soon enough...

EDIT:

Well, well. Speak o' the devil. Jonathan Holmes of Destructoid just dropped this interesting tweet:

I have read a review of Grand Theft Auto 5, and I am no longer going to buy it.

https://twitter.com/TronKnotts/status/379315130036518912

It's funny that Jim is public enemy number one on Destructoid when it should really be Holmes. Aside from being an unabashedly pround Nintendo fan boy, he ALWAYS goes against the popular conventions. Just follow him and read his thoughts on any popular game. You'll see what I mean.

He was NEVER going to buy GTA because it's not on a fucking Nintendo platform. He's just poking the hornets nest, like he always does, except he does it in this super passive aggressive way.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 chaser324  Moderator

It's funny that Jim is public enemy number one on Destructoid when it should really be Holmes. Aside from being an unabashedly pround Nintendo fan boy, he ALWAYS goes against the popular conventions. Just follow him and read his thoughts on any popular game. You'll see what I mean.

He was NEVER going to buy GTA because it's not on a fucking Nintendo platform. He's just poking the hornets nest, like he always does, except he does it in this super passive aggressive way.

Yeah, I don't know that there's much you can really read into his comment. He probably made up his mind about GTA V a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: Holmes also has this bizarre tendency to psycho-analyze anyone he doesn't like.

I'll guess Destructoid gives it a 6 or a 7, Jeff gives it 4 stars, and Polygon goes for a 7.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1 star.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#180  Edited By Yummylee

I could possibly see Jeff giving it four stars, since GTA V is looking to hark back, in some respect, to the way of things before GTA IV, and Jeff's been pretty open in stating that's not what he's looking for anymore out of GTA. It's the exact reason why he only stuck with Sleeping Dogs for a couple of hours.

The story looks like it's pretty much on the same par as the quality from GTA IV, though, so maybe that'll still manage to make him fall in love with GTA all over again. After all, he always seems to feel the exact same way leading up to every GTA release, wondering if this'll be the one where he finally finds he's over it, but then keeps getting wowed time and time again with each new release.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: It "having a good chance" is one thing but automatically assuming that hey, this game is 9.0 and if anyone says any less then they are just trolling is fucking silly. Reviews are not objective nor should they be and some people simply might not like it as much as others.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@dharmabum said:

1 star.

Embargo SHATTERED.

haha indeed. As always I'm curious to read Tom Chick's review. He's one of my favorite writers.

DickSocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only person I can envisage giving GTAV a less than perfect score is Jeff. Clearly he wouldn't be doing it on purpose, but he loves Saints Row 3 and 4 sooo much, I'm not clear if he still appreciates what GTA sets out to do. I assume it's Jeff reviewing it.

I'm not claming GTA V will be perfect, I'm sure there will be quite a lot wrong with it, it is written by Dan Houser after all. But the technical visual achievement is so immense no one will be able to tell what they really think about it until mid October. GTAIV got top scores across the board and yet it was clear to everyone 4 weeks later the game was a bit shit, but the size and detail of the city (which is still mind boggling) is too overwhelming to process in a weekend. Which is why Rockstar gave review copies out for V on Friday.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 chaser324  Moderator

GTAIV got top scores across the board and yet it was clear to everyone 4 weeks later the game was a bit shit, but the size and detail of the city (which is still mind boggling) is too overwhelming to process in a weekend.

I'm not sure that opinion is quite as unanimous or harsh as you make it out to be. There are plenty of people out there that still think GTA IV is a great game (myself included).

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By GreggD

@dicksocrates said:

GTAIV got top scores across the board and yet it was clear to everyone 4 weeks later the game was a bit shit, but the size and detail of the city (which is still mind boggling) is too overwhelming to process in a weekend.

I'm not sure that opinion is quite as unanimous or harsh as you make it out to be. There are plenty of people out there that still think GTA IV is a great game (myself included).

Bioshock Infinite is another situation where I just don't understand the backlash.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Sterling loves controversy in the name of page hits.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Sterling can be a contrarian, but he's also a weird contrarian. He consistently gives the Call of Duty games very high scores, for example, when you would expect that would be an easy target.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: So....he's honest and gives his actual opinion on games?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Hey, I don't mean to suggest I dislike Sterling. I follow him on twitter, watch a lot of his YouTube videos, and enjoy many of his reviews. He is, though, something of a wild card.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Polygon for sure. I think their justifications for their reviews are fine enough. But in their reviews they seems to feel that one part of the overall whole of a game can change its score pretty dramatically. It also seems like each reviewer has a wildly different take on the review scoring system. And in the end they seem to be a group of editors that prize novelty, simplicity, and the emotional experience of a game which, besides the emotional resonance, I don't see GTA 5 being very great in those areas.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

6/10 from Polygon.

Reason: "Just didn't click with me (but thanks for clicking on our site to find that out)"

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@marokai: That is what I like about Sterling. He gave Saints Row IV a 9.5. Does it deserve it, not really, but he tells what he thinks of the game. Regardless of what others think.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what I can't wait for? People considering 8/10 to be lowball.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I could possibly see Jeff giving it four stars, since GTA V is looking to hark back, in some respect, to the way of things before GTA IV, and Jeff's been pretty open in stating that's not what he's looking for anymore out of GTA. It's the exact reason why he only stuck with Sleeping Dogs for a couple of hours.

The story looks like it's pretty much on the same par as the quality from GTA IV, though, so maybe that'll still manage to make him fall in love with GTA all over again. After all, he always seems to feel the exact same way leading up to every GTA release, wondering if this'll be the one where he finally finds he's over it, but then keeps getting wowed time and time again with each new release.

I actually feel like Jeff might give it a 4 also. I think Saint's Row might have spoiled him in a certain way. Then again he seemed to really like GTA IV. I dunno Jeff is such a random guy at times. 4 or 5 for sure though.

@kishinfoulux: It "having a good chance" is one thing but automatically assuming that hey, this game is 9.0 and if anyone says any less then they are just trolling is fucking silly. Reviews are not objective nor should they be and some people simply might not like it as much as others.

For the record I'm not some GTA fanboy saying it deserves that sort of thing. Just to be clear. I'm just saying it's the reality of the industry. Some games you just KNOW are getting high praise/marks, without even touching them. Last of Us was a recent example. GTA is the next one. Titanfall seems destined for this as well.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#198  Edited By viking_funeral

Polygon.

They'll be trying to regain some authenticity after a number of game scoring debacles, and they'll naturally choose the wrong one to do it on. Or maybe they'll just do it for page views. I can honestly see either one happening.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hells said:

Every time I see one of these threads speculating review scores it reminds me of this Heroes of the Web Shawn Elliot did on the GFW Radio Podcast...

Loading Video...

Bah. I was expecting it to be the episode where someone bashes Shawn Elliot for giving Crysis an 8.5 "Games for Windows gets sloppy seconds review. Gives Crysis an 8.5. Why so low?" Or something like that. I remember he was pissed.

Though, I will gladly listen to a random hero of the web!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb 3/5