#1 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

Just started playing the game (on PS3), and have so far been really disappointed by the severe aliasing. I realize this is a console game and things like AA are usually not a top priority, but it's pretty jarring.

I didn't notice any in the (admittedly few) gameplay videos I watched before the game came out and I don't recall any mentions of it in the reviews I watched. I would have thought with how prevalent it is it would have been mentioned.

Is this just a part of the game I'll have to deal with or is this somehow a problem only I am experiencing?

#2 Posted by OGinOR (325 posts) -
#3 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -
#4 Posted by Management (593 posts) -

I am experiencing some serious aliasing myself. We probably just have to get over it.

#5 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -
@management said:

I am experiencing some serious aliasing myself. We probably just have to get over it.

That's what I was afraid of. It's a shame, because I realize the game looks amazing given the hardware it's running on, but all I can notice right now are jaggies everywhere.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (15160 posts) -

Not really noticing anything myself. Game looks pretty damn good.

#7 Edited by chiablo (999 posts) -

It's 7 year old hardware, what did you expect? Aliasing and lack of aniostropic filtering are going to be guaranteed at this point.

#8 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

It's pretty bad, granted I am playing on a 27" monitor that's up in my grill. I'm sure you get used to it, at least the framerate holds up pretty well.

#9 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Is this mostly an issue with PS3 or both consoles?

#10 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

@chiablo said:

It's 7 year old hardware, what did you expect? Aliasing and lack of aniostropic filtering are going to be guaranteed at this point.

Yep. This game would look absolutely amazing with slightly higher resolution, 16x Anisotropic filtering and some antialiasing. That's not PC snobbery, that's just some basic things that would complete the look.

#11 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

@herbiebug said:

Both consoles. It's just how the game looks. GTA 4 had the same issue, though this game looks way better overall so it's more noticeable.

#12 Edited by believer258 (12205 posts) -

Have you played any console games recently? It might just be jarring to go back.

#13 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@alistercat: Okay thanks. I'm off to the store to pick up a copy. :)

#14 Posted by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

Booting up this game just made me realize how much I'm over games in 720p with poor aliasing. Although to be honest I've had that reaction to almost every new game I've played on my consoles for about a year now.

#15 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

Eurogamer did a comparison, both are identical - 360 has a slightly better fps (2fps roughly more, but both games will go to 20fps sometimes) and ps3 has better texture filtering.

#17 Posted by Ravelle (1411 posts) -

Killer is Dead's art style clashes pretty badly with Aliasing, it's a console thing and really unfortunate. I really hope the next generation will not have it.

#18 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Noticed that too, but it doesn't really bother me that much. You have to remember how old the hardware is. I'm just glad that the framerate is good and it doesn't have any bigger technical problems.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3828 posts) -

I don't mind the aliasing, but the screen-tearing is pretty noticeable. I don't think I've ever noticed screen-tearing in a console game before, so this is quite unusual for me.

#20 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

Have you played any console games recently? It might just be jarring to go back.

I have been playing almost everything on PC for the past year. The only console games I have played even semi recently are Metal Gear Rising and The Last of Us. I guess I'm just so used to 60 FPS, full AA, etc. that the very noticeable aliasing in GTA V really jumped out at me.

I've played a few more hours of the game since I made this thread and I am barely noticing anymore because I'm enjoying the game so damn much. I was actually initially planning to wait for the inevitable PC release, but the hype got to me over the past week plus and I caved. Glad I did though, game seems fantastic so far.

#21 Edited by pompouspizza (293 posts) -

I only really noticed it during the intro after that I haven't really noticed it.

#22 Posted by believer258 (12205 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I have been playing almost everything on PC for the past year. The only console games I have played even semi recently are Metal Gear Rising and The Last of Us. I guess I'm just so used to 60 FPS, full AA, etc. that the very noticeable aliasing in GTA V really jumped out at me.

I've played a few more hours of the game since I made this thread and I am barely noticing anymore because I'm enjoying the game so damn much. I was actually initially planning to wait for the inevitable PC release, but the hype got to me over the past week plus and I caved. Glad I did though, game seems fantastic so far.

Exact same story here. I haven't played anything action heavy on consoles recently, though I have played a few JRPG's on the PS2 and 3DS. I just got it and if any game shows how badly we needed a new console generation, it's this one. Gah, it'll look so much better on PC if it comes out on PC.