Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

Hello duders

This is where GTA V reviews from all over the word (ok, mostly US) come to die. So, it's kinda like Florida. And in that vein, cocaine, guns and review discussion is encouraged. But, mostly review discussion. Mostly.

Giant Bomb

5/5

"Grand Theft Auto V's unique storytelling meshes well with standard GTA-style action, giving you multiple perspectives on some fantastic criminal activities"

"... with the game's unique multi-character approach to storytelling, makes Grand Theft Auto V an exciting successor in the long-running franchise."

GameSpot

9/10

"Grand Theft Auto V is an outrageous, exhilarating, sometimes troubling crime epic that pushes open-world game design forward in amazing ways."

"Your time in Los Santos may leave you with a few psychological scars, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from visiting."

IGN

10/10

"Grand Theft Auto V is not only a preposterously enjoyable video game, but also an intelligent and sharp-tongued satire of contemporary America."

"It is one of the very best video games ever made."

Polygon

9.5/10

"With Grand Theft Auto 5, developer Rockstar North aspires to re-establish GTA as the most important video game franchise in the world, to further raise the bar, the budget, the breadth of experience of the big games."

"Grand Theft Auto 5 is the closure of this generation, and the benchmark for the next. Here is a game caught occasionally for the worst, but overwhelmingly for the better, between the present and the future."

Game Informer

9.75/10

"Like the golden state it parodies, Grand Theft Auto V is filled with beautiful scenery, a wealth of activities, and the promise of fortune."

"Rockstar Games deserves credit for pushing the boundaries of its flagship franchise yet again with improved controls, great mission variety, and the most jam-packed open world I've ever visited."

Destructoid

9/10

"Grand Theft Auto V is both a reflective and deflective game, diving into the heart of the GTAseries with more than a few subtle things to say about itself."

"All three characters, in their respective ways, feel representative of the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, and contribute to making GTA V what it is -- the ultimate culmination of Rockstar's beloved and despised series."

Eurogamer

9/10

"Most importantly, though, it's the first game in the series where you feel as though you can strike out in any direction and find something entertaining to do."

"GTA5 may not be the Hollywood-beating crime story it wants to be, then, but it's the best video game it's ever been"

Edge

10/10

"No one makes worlds like Rockstar, but at last it has produced one without compromise. Everything works."

"It’s a remarkable achievement, a peerless marriage of world design, storytelling and mechanics that pushes these ageing consoles to the limit and makes it all look easy."

Joystiq

4.5/5

"For every narrative quibble, there are dozens of discoveries to be made, and many of the best moments will be the ones you create yourself."

"Grand Theft Auto 5 is an ambitious game, attempting to meld three very different characters together to tell one encompassing story of survival in what amounts to the worst place in America."

Games Radar

5/5

"The biggest (and possibly best) Grand Theft Auto yet"

"It's a remarkable example of open-world gaming at it's finest, and while it doesn't reinvent the genre or do anything all that new, it does so much so well that it's hard to find flaws in Rockstar's massive blockbuster."

The Escapist

3.5/5

"A technical achievement, GTAV's driving and shooting gameplay in an excellently crafted open world is marred by a script that presents despicable characters as the protagonists."

"It's certainly fun to be the bad guy sometimes, but only buy Grand Theft Auto V if you're prepared to play as characters with no justifiable motivation for doing awful things to people."

So, get hyped and get ready to do whatever we do when this sort of "events" happen, which is criticize every thing. That's the plan, right?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

No matter what the reviews are like, I can guarantee this thread is going to be some entertaining shit.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I was about to make this thread so thanks for saving me the hassle. Looking forward to all the crazy reactions of people being upset by a review score.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Krullban

@mracoon said:

I was about to make this thread so thanks for saving me the hassle. Looking forward to all the crazy reactions of people being upset by a review score.

9/10?! THIS SITE IS IGNORANT!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaser324  Moderator  Online

8/10 -

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I can't wait until a site gives it an 8.5/10 and everyone goes batshit. It should be quite entertaining.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8.8 is coming!

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure we have hit the point that people sarcastic about review scores is 10 to 1 of people upset about review scores.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew it was coming. From Gamespots review.

• Politically muddled and profoundly misogynistic
Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Of course Polygon had to bring up women again.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eurogamer 9/10
GTA5 may not be the Hollywood-beating crime story it wants to be, then, but it's the best video game it's ever been, and I'll take that.

Destructoid 9/10
All three characters, in their respective ways, feel representative of the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, and contribute to making GTA V what it is -- the ultimate culmination of Rockstar's beloved and despised series. Personally, I think that's a fine thing to be.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say, Edge review is somewhat surprising.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polygon's 5 paragraphs of how GTA 5 treats women had me in stitches. They brought up how there isn't a female protagonist. If there was. wouldn't she be as much of a scumbag as the other male protagonists? Michael seems pretty pathetic, Franklin seems dumb, and Trevor's insane.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need game now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bocam: Agreed. It kind of made my day.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a spoiler in the GameTrailers video review.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a spoiler in the GameTrailers video review.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mercutio123

Gamespot's comment section is on fire because they gave it a 9.0

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NekuSakuraba

3.5 from the escapist, I can feel a shitstorm a brewing.

Greenshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamereactor Norway, Sweden, Finland, UK and Germany - 10/10.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Giant Bomb just gave it an 8.8. Shit, it seems to be a written review of some sort. Yeah, it's written. Five stars.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Winternet

Well, I think I covered most important reviews out there. I'll add more if I see that I missed something.

Everything seems pretty much on par with what was expected. But, I really haven't read any of them with all the craze of getting it all ready as quick as possible.

That said, The Escapist's argument of "only buy Grand Theft Auto V if you're prepared to play as characters with no justifiable motivation for doing awful things to people." is a pretty shitty argument to make.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Killerfridge

Oh man people are not going to be happy with The Escapist. But yeah, what do they expect when you're playing a game about criminals.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bocam

That said, The Escapist's argument of "only buy Grand Theft Auto V if you're prepared to play as characters with no justifiable motivation for doing awful things to people." is a pretty shitty argument to make.

Considering what I've played of the story, it's also just wrong.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet: Yeah, The Escapists main problem with the game seems to be that your character is a total dick. Seems like a crappy reason to me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet: Yeah, The Escapists main problem with the game seems to be that your character is a total dick. Seems like a crappy reason to me.

Sure ruined my enjoyment of Farcry 3 for instance.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By gaminghooligan

"Don't buy this game about criminals if you think criminals are criminals." -The Escapist

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:
@nekusakuraba said:

I see this being said about Farcry 3, but it was a major story point, like the entire story revolved around it. Did you not pay attention? Did you need the game to beat you over the head with that major theme?

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Don't buy this game about criminals if you think criminals are criminals." -The Escapist

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By AngelN7

9.75? the hell is that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@rowr said:
@nekusakuraba said:

I see this being said about Farcry 3, but it was a major story point, like the entire story revolved around it. Did you not pay attention? Did you need the game to beat you over the head with that major theme?

Not everyone wants to play a game where the protagonist is an unlikable douchebag, even if that douchebaggery is intentional.

I haven't played the game obivously, but the GTAV protagonists seem to have a pretty thin reasoning for their criminal escapades. Michael can't find anything better to do with his life, Trevor is a lunatic, and Franklin is associating with them both only so he has a way up in the world. They're basically two assholes and a hanger-on. If that's not what you're looking for, you're not necessarily going to want to put up with it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

9.75? the hell is that.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

@nekusakuraba said:

Not having played the game, I'm willing to give the reviewer some ground here. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to violence and will connect with the narrative to different degrees. No game is going to universally appeal to everyone.

Yes, he probably knew ahead of time that he wasn't going to like the game, but that doesn't necessarily make his opinion invalid.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@clonedzero said:

@rowr said:
@nekusakuraba said:

Not everyone wants to play a game where the protagonist is an unlikable douchebag, even if that douchebaggery is intentional.

I haven't played the game obivously, but the GTAV protagonists seem to have a pretty thin reasoning for their criminal escapades. Michael can't find anything better to do with his life, Trevor is a lunatic, and Franklin is associating with them both only so he has a way up in the world. They're basically two assholes and a hanger-on. If that's not what you're looking for, you're not necessarily going to want to put up with it.

But it's sorta like saying "Forza is pretty good, but if you're not into driving cars don't buy it". It's not really an argument you can make in a review.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Hailinel

@hailinel said:

@clonedzero said:

@rowr said:
@nekusakuraba said:

But it's sorta like saying "Forza is pretty good, but if you're not into driving cars don't buy it". It's not really an argument you can make in a review.

Sure you can. Honestly, I just think that this is more indicative of the notion that the Housers are very limited in terms of the sorts of characters that they're capable of writing. Asshole protagonists are not as vital to GTA as cars are to Forza.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN

10/10

"It is one of the very best video games ever made."

IGN should really look into whipping up some new lines to copy/paste in future reviews.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: What I mean is that you can't make that as an argument against the game. Yes, the main characters are dicks, the devil in person, whatever. That doesn't make the game better or worse.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mrfluke