Welp, just lost my Rank 22 character in GTA Online...

• 62 results
TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Logged on to do some more races. Lost my week of GTA Online progress, dozens of hours in the game, all of my vehicles, level progress, weapons, character... Everything gone.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Did you try to play when cloud servers were down? Did you always log out through exit menu?

Either way, my condolences. Since you were rank 22, can you tell me what price was sniper rifle?

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@verendus: I hadn't bought any weapons since the SMG. I was trying to level up the off-road vehicles so I could buy a Turbo for my truck. So I had been playing off-road races and doing nothing else since about level 15 or 16. Sorry. Didn't buy any new weapons.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

It happens =/ I've managed to keep a hold of my character nearing across 2 days now, with is currently my record... I had hoped that the patch would lessen the amount of random character deletions, but if anything I've noticed that it's been happening a lot more frequently as of late.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Verendus

@thebooknerd: It's cool. Has Rockstar addressed this character deletion problem in any way? Like, do people get their characters back eventually or are they gone for good? Also, when your character gets deleted does your bank account get wiped too?

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Join the club. None of my characters have lasted beyond the session in which they were made. It's really discouraging.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Though I feel sorry for all the lost progress all I can think of is "The Power of the Cloud!". But I'm sure next-gen will do it better.. Right?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

Man, this reminds of how busted Warhawk was when it first launched. Though that eventually got steady, I'm sure GTA will get there. Eventually.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, so I should still stay the hell away from GTA Online. I'm not wasting hours into that if it's just going to be lost.

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@verendus: As far as I know, they are claiming that their various patches and updates solve these kinds of problems. But this was the one and only GTA Online character I have had. Created it on launch day last week and carried him through the week. Looking on the Rockstar Social Club, I still have my banked cash. It also still showed my mission progress in GTA Online. But everything else was gone. When I try to enter GTA Online via the XBox 360, it puts me in the very first Create A Character screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Apparently even a billion dollars is not enough for stability.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I've just had my 4th character disappear on me. My 3rd one turned into a woman overnight as well.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm amazed at how often some people are willing to put up with starting from scratch given how fucked the online has been the whole week.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

You are not alone. My lvl 26 character just vanished this afternoon, luxury condo et all. Though I'm quite sure he'll be back sometime tonight, when whatever servers these characters are on come back online. *knocks on wood*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli

@verendus said:

Either way, my condolences. Since you were rank 22, can you tell me what price was sniper rifle?

19,x k.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to wait a bit and try later, but my character vanished too. If he's totally gone and I have to start over I'm not playing the game for a long ass time.

TheBookNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By GreggD

I got in on day 1, still have the same character. I'm sorry you guys have had so many issues, but I'm very glad I haven't lost mine.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't panic and don't make a new one. It's probably a problem with the servers, he'll most probably come back. The same thing has been happening to everyone.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

Though I feel sorry for all the lost progress all I can think of is "The Power of the Cloud!". But I'm sure next-gen will do it better.. Right?

Hahahaha..
I mean, suuure it will.
All digital and cloud gaming is the fuuuture because it's so reliiiiable, oooooooh. Mysterious ghosts sounds, hooooooooo

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AyKay_47

This kind of shit is why I've been playing nothing but Terraria since October 1st.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

You are not alone. My lvl 26 character just vanished this afternoon, luxury condo et all. Though I'm quite sure he'll be back sometime tonight, when whatever servers these characters are on come back online. *knocks on wood*

Same thing for me. Lvl 15 day one character with 100 000$ and I can't use him today. I seriously hope this is just their servers crashing under the Sunday load and not literally catching on fire and deleting all our characters.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, so I should still stay the hell away from GTA Online. I'm not wasting hours into that if it's just going to be lost.

So if you enjoyed yourself, was the time really wasted? Wow that's deep man. As if the whole point is to work towards a higher goal. I'm 15 and I don't even know why I would need to be a higher level.

Arouga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im pretty sure you get em back once the servers are stable again. Lost mine twice and it came back

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: @thebooknerd: Go look at your GTA 5 social club profile. I can't use ma character today but he's still there. Just don't make a new character on the same slot and he should come back after today's high server traffic.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@colourful_hippie said:

So if you enjoyed yourself, was the time really wasted? Wow that's deep man. As if the whole point is to work towards a higher goal. I'm 15 and I don't even know why I would need to be a higher level.

GTA Online functions on the carrot-on-a-stick method of character progression, but keeps losing the stick.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yummylee
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

Cooler guns, access to air stricks, the ability to hide your location on the map and set up a sweet ambush for other players and most importantly: lvl 20 sticky bombs.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

Hahahaha..

I mean, suuure it will.

All digital and cloud gaming is the fuuuture because it's so reliiiiable, oooooooh. Mysterious ghosts sounds, hooooooooo

No, they just fucked this up royally. This is not something the cloud was needed for, and they didn't have any solution available in the case of servers being fucked by a rusty pipe. Just because it's cool to be sarcastic about this stuff doesn't mean you're making a good point. The only time cloud stuff really fucks anything up is when the people doing it are dumbasses. The concept isn't flawed, it's just not idiot proof. You know, there are probably more games that don't ever connect to the internet that will erase your very local save than that do so because of the cloud. The Walking Dead was about 10 times more fucked for me and it had jack shit to do with the internet. Just because the cloud can fail doesn't mean it's not a useful or meaningful step forward. You just need to be smart. Like, don't fucking put characters in the cloud in a game that is all about fucking around (or anything that isn't Starcraft or Dota).

Had they just done this stuff locally, all you'd have to worry about was matchmaking. Give players the option to just play with friends, and boom, no more issues. Instead, they decided to do the most uselessly cloud enabled crap and fucked everything as a result. It didn't just explode because the cloud is shit. In fact, I can't think of many times the cloud has failed me even when it's poorly designed. Diablo 3 and GTA Online are the two thing that come to mind and both were just stupid.

As with all things, change is scary, and people are dumb. Doesn't make it any more clever to shit on that stuff just because you think someone fucking it up means it's terrible. There are a lot of shitty parents out there, but that's not the fault of the reproductive process.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@grissefar said:

@colourful_hippie said:

GTA Online functions on the carrot-on-a-stick method of character progression, but keeps losing the stick.

Yup

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@verendus: Sniper is $20,000. Just bought it last night and killed some guy with one bullet. Well worth the money.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@hailinel said:

I'm amazed at how often some people are willing to put up with starting from scratch given how fucked the online has been the whole week.

Exactly, peeps need to be stronger and STOP playing Online til shits fixed. Thats the only way to send a message to Rockstar.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@verendus: They're looking into the loss of characters, cars, houses, etc. Unless they announce a patch and say you get your characters back, it's lost buddy. Sorry about that. This is why I'm holding out on buying a house and upgrading my cars, etc. My friend bought an apartment and lost it the next day. I'm to scared to buy anything expensive.

On the other hand, I've played every night since Wednesday night and haven't lost my character/money/car. Really hope my luck continues.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bane

Well, I've lost the will to play.

My first character vanished after reaching level 11-ish. I started a second character this weekend and reached level 14. I logged off through the pause menu, had some lunch, and when I logged back in about 45 minutes later I had lost two levels (11,555 RP) and $20,382. And this was the second time this weekend I lost that much progress. I've started writing down my cash and RP before logging out so I can be sure they're the same when I log back in. The fact that I feel the need to do that is bullshit in and of itself.

The way I see it Rockstar owes me 15 levels of progress and $40,000 plus whatever cash I earned with my first character. Until they give back what they've stolen from me and/or guarantee I'm not wasting my time trying to progress in their game they can kiss my ass.

Edit: I'm pretty pissed off about my losses, but it's peanuts compared to what some of you have lost. I can't even imagine. Sorry duders.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading all of you duders posts, and having just lost my third character, I'm quickly losing interest in the online (at least for the time being). But I recently got playstation plus, so I get Far Cry 3 for free!*
It really sucks that Rockstar/Take Two hare having this many problems. GTA Online has great potential, and it's incredibly fun to play with friends, but at the moment it is horribly broken. The carrot-on-the-stick, as some of you have described it, will make many continue playing, but I think I'll personally lay off for awhile. Until Rockstars support newsletter tells us that "you won't lose your character anymore!", I'm not going back in...

*except for a monthly fee, tihihi... it rimed, thrice.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel really lucky that I've been able to play mostly without issue since day 2 and thus far haven't lost my character (level 18).

Also, does anyone find it ironically hilarious that they have that in game commercial for "Cumulonimbus Computing" making fun of the very concept of the cloud, only to have the real life Rockstar Cloud totally shit the bed?

Nautilus1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nautilus1515

Yeah just lost my level 12 chick. Pretty pissed as I had a good amount of money saved up for an apartment. Created a new char, but in the second slot. Just gonna wait and see if my first char comes back. Don't feel like doing everything over again, especially the tutorial.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's simple, just pretend that GTA Online's Beta released on Oct 1 and the real thing will be fixed and ready and release on say... Oct 15th.

That's what I am doing, just putting it off until I can get a clean, worry-free GTA online experience.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I am glad I held off on buying this. Whenever I get to it the problems should hopefully be ironed out.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I made a new one so I guess I fucked myself. May as well stay away until I can play without reading pages of forums first.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Things like this are why I've not even touched online yet and won't until they sort most of this crap out.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten said:

@nictel said:

Hahahaha..

I mean, suuure it will.

No, they just fucked this up royally. This is not something the cloud was needed for, and they didn't have any solution available in the case of servers being fucked by a rusty pipe. Just because it's cool to be sarcastic about this stuff doesn't mean you're making a good point. The only time cloud stuff really fucks anything up is when the people doing it are dumbasses. The concept isn't flawed, it's just not idiot proof. You know, there are probably more games that don't ever connect to the internet that will erase your very local save than that do so because of the cloud. The Walking Dead was about 10 times more fucked for me and it had jack shit to do with the internet. Just because the cloud can fail doesn't mean it's not a useful or meaningful step forward. You just need to be smart. Like, don't fucking put characters in the cloud in a game that is all about fucking around (or anything that isn't Starcraft or Dota).

Had they just done this stuff locally, all you'd have to worry about was matchmaking. Give players the option to just play with friends, and boom, no more issues. Instead, they decided to do the most uselessly cloud enabled crap and fucked everything as a result. It didn't just explode because the cloud is shit. In fact, I can't think of many times the cloud has failed me even when it's poorly designed. Diablo 3 and GTA Online are the two thing that come to mind and both were just stupid.

As with all things, change is scary, and people are dumb. Doesn't make it any more clever to shit on that stuff just because you think someone fucking it up means it's terrible. There are a lot of shitty parents out there, but that's not the fault of the reproductive process.

Good job taking something written on the internet seriously!
Not a waste of time or anything like that, was it?

Good grief.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude really likes his clouds.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

It happens =/ I've managed to keep a hold of my character nearing across 2 days now, with is currently my record... I had hoped that the patch would lessen the amount of random character deletions, but if anything I've noticed that it's been happening a lot more frequently as of late.

It shouldn't "happen".

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Yummylee

@yummylee said:

It shouldn't "happen".

Well, duh.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarmahead said:

@zeforgotten said:

@nictel said:

Hahahaha..

I mean, suuure it will.

Good job taking something written on the internet seriously!

Not a waste of time or anything like that, was it?

Good grief.

Indeed, also, he forgot about Simcity.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My level 27 character got deleted too, when he went missing I made a new one on character slot 2. He's never shown back up.

My friend has currently got a missing character, level 33, over a million in cash. Sucks.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

My level 27 character got deleted too, when he went missing I made a new one on character slot 2. He's never shown back up.

My friend has currently got a missing character, level 33, over a million in cash. Sucks.

go to rockstar social club to see if your character is in your profile (under the GTA 5 tab)

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers