Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Will you read the reviews? (89 votes)

Yes, I want to know! 56%
NO 10%
I'll just peek at the scores... 34%

So seeing as the reviews are now imminent, do you intend to read them? I was planning on ignoring them entirely until I had actually immersed myself in the game but now I'm not so certain. In my mind I had been expecting the game to land on my doorstep this afternoon after watching Breaking Bad.

Since everything hasn't come up Milhouse for me I'm getting antsy and thinking about at least having a look at the scores and maybe even reading the Jeff review. The thing is, I've avoided every leak up until now so surely I should tough it out until tomorrow and go in as fresh as possible as I had initially intended.

What about you guys, thoughts?

#1 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

I'm just going to have a look at the scores until I have played a few hours tonight and then I will come back to see exactly why Jeff decided to give it 5 stars.

#2 Edited by Excast (1040 posts) -

I always check out reviews before making a purchase. I like to have some sort of idea what I am in for.

#3 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I've been avoiding leaks as well, but obviously the reviews aren't going to spoil anywhere near as much as the leaks. I'm pretty excited to see what people think of it and I will be reading the reviews.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Maybe? I don't plan on buying the game any time soon, so it might be interesting to read the reviews.

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

I'll steer clear of any video reviews, but I'll certainly be reading some.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Nope. I don't read reviews period.

#7 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Nope, I'll be avoiding them until I experience the game for myself.

#9 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

I'll take a peak at the score, maybe read a few paragraphs that aren't talking about the story.

#10 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I will read reviews off and on as I play. I've always been a fan of video game reviews. Love seeing the differing opinions and than comparing them to how I feel while playing in real time.

#11 Edited by Excast (1040 posts) -

I basically just want to know how it runs. As a PS3 owner who was burned by Skyrim, I like to know how a game is going to operate and if it is worth investing money into right now. We've seen issues with console releases of some fairly big titles, so I think a little caution makes sense.

#12 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

I'll probably skim some to see if there are any technical issues I should be aware of.

#14 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I'll look at the review score and that's about it. I want to be fucking surprise when I play the game.

#15 Edited by MrMuscle (448 posts) -

Yes I am actually waiting for a review to see if i should get it for the 360 or wait and see if there is a PC port coming.

#17 Posted by PSNgamesun (414 posts) -

Just the final thoughts of the game with the score, hopefully it will be focusing on how the game works and not the story.

#18 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

Right, I peeked at the Giantbomb and Polygon reviews and I'm a happy man. Now only the agonising wait for tomorrows post remains.

#20 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

I'll probably just read the Giant Bomb review and read the comment section of any 8.5 reviews because they'll be hilarious.

#21 Edited by EVO (3941 posts) -

Nah. I usually read reviews after I finish the game.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

I already bought it so I don't really need to. I did check Jeff's score and looked for the word 'frame' to see if, as I hoped, the frame rate was solid. But that's about as far as I'll go.

#23 Posted by probablytuna (3823 posts) -

I heard there are spoilers on the IGN and Polygon reviews so I'm staying the hell away. I want to watch Sessler's review but again, I fear spoilers will be in it. So far I've only read Jeff's review.

#25 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -
#26 Edited by probablytuna (3823 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: I always hated the way they say that at the end of their X-Play reviews. So glad he stopped doing that at Rev3.

#27 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (467 posts) -

I've been using ctrl+f to search for 'frame' to see what everyone has to say about performance, and with Polygon's review I wanted to see how much they were riding their feminist high horse. But I already know I'm getting the game tomorrow so I don't feel the need to actually read any of them.

#28 Posted by ConfusedOwl (965 posts) -

I looked at Jeff's review but that's probably the only one I'll bother with. I already have the game fully paid off so it's already too late for me to make a buying decision based off a review.

#29 Posted by StriderNo9 (1149 posts) -

I only go for 3 reviews these days. Giant Bomb of course, Polygon, and EDGE. Everything else I check out in passing although I was going to get this game no matter what.

#30 Posted by spraynardtatum (3686 posts) -

I read Jeffs first and I'll probably read Kezas tomorrow after I play a little bit tonight at midnight!

#31 Posted by mrfluke (5342 posts) -

i think im done reading polygons reviews and stuff from carolyn from gamespot, i just cant trust them to review a game without coloring it.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I don't read reviews. I will watch the odd one if there is a video review, but I can't be arsed to read one. I don't trust any reviewer to have the same taste in games -or to enjoy the same aspects of games as myself- so I will watch a video review because they tend to have more ingame footage of what the game actually looks like to play that you don't get from watching the trailers. I watched Adams Review over at Rev3 on youtube and it was pretty good.

#33 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

I will read them just to see what others think of the game. It really won't impact my opinion as i knew i was getting the game anyway. RockStar aside from max pain has not really let me down so i know what i'm signing up for.

#34 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I read jeffs cus i like jeff.

I watched the gamespot video review cus people were flipping out over it. Turns out it was a 9/10 and people are stupid.

Aside from that I'm not watching/reading anything else.

#35 Posted by Doskias (317 posts) -

I've watched Adam Sessler's, and I've read Jeff Gerstmann's and Jim Sterling's. That's probably all I need.

I read jeffs cus i like jeff.

I watched the gamespot video review cus people were flipping out over it. Turns out it was a 9/10 and people are stupid.

Aside from that I'm not watching/reading anything else.

Heh. Yeah. It's weird, so many people are getting mad about the game getting a 9/10 from some outlets, when it seemed like everyone was pissed when GTAIV got a 10/10 from IGN.

#36 Posted by Strife777 (1612 posts) -

I've read Jeff's review and peeked at some scores. I don't really need it anyway. It would just lead to me reading comments and hating myself for it.

#37 Posted by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

No just look at scores and bathe in the praise

#38 Edited by believer258 (12188 posts) -

I've seen IGN's and Gamespot's video reviews.

#39 Edited by dobschutz (58 posts) -

Just the GB review and even then i skipped parts about story/mechanics, i like mah surprises in games.

#40 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

I do a quick scan of Metacritic, see if any of the reviewers I like have expressed views that differ from the mean -either much better or much worse impressions- and then I will read those specific reviews to see why they really loved or hated something. That's about it.

#41 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -

I trust Jeff with my purchasing decisions, but not with my life.