#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

About a year ago, after completing my grind for a legendary, I quit Guild Wars 2 (around the time when the first Super Adventure Box came out). It's GotY season now, and I want to catch up on all the latest GotY podcasts. I rarely listen to podcasts when I don't play MMOs, so I decided it's the perfect opportunity to dive back into the game - lest I'll miss all the GotY fun.

What do I need to know?

#2 Posted by kadash299 (276 posts) -

Not a lot has really changed honestly. The living story has progressed a lot, Teqatal is a hard boss now, and you get special bags for killing champions and bonus chests for world bosses. Past that, its largely the same. WVW now occurs in seasons, (it may have then), and my server still sucks. :) lol. The games still fantastic, but better with friends. Mesmers are still annoying, and Warriors can still live forever.

Welcome Back to Tyria

- Commander Denounce - Kaineng

#3 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@kadash299:

I wonder, did Anet improve on how WvW badges are handled? Hated having to pick those up from slain foes. Is it automatic now? I remember having heard rumblings about that. WvW is the one area I kinda neglected, because it seemed like an endless and meaningless back and forth for the most parts, with a lot of time and effort spent for little to no *Win*. It's really awesome on paper, but the moment to moment gameplay just didn't give me much satisfaction.

#4 Edited by alanm26v5 (437 posts) -

Looting in general is improved as you can AOE loot from a decent distance. Most badges don't take up bag space anymore either. You can now level your tradeskills to 500 and craft ascended weapons and armor. It involves some account bound materials you get from dungeons/champions/worldbosses and some daily cooldowns, but not nearly as much of a grind as a legendary imo. There's an ingame LFG tool in the social pane for advertising and finding groups, and there's a public event API which allows sites like www.gw2stuff.com to provide very accurate world boss timers if you need to do those.

#5 Edited by bellmont42 (317 posts) -

Use the most mobile weapon skills possible and aoe the ground then realize its actually just a generic mmorpg with a nice cover and an aoe combo field system that hardly anyone uses. WvW basically 95% of the time boils down to rushing around in circles capping things from each other for exp instead of fighting over keeps.

Sorry I'm so negative but I 've tried to get into it like 5 times with no success and they really have not touched the gameplay at all.

#6 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Logged in, got flooded with tons of achievement rewards (weapon and armor skins), was instantly overwhelmed by all the stuff in my bags... getting back into the thick of this... ugh.

For the GotY podcasts, I must prevail... tomorrow.

#7 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

@seppli: Aw, yeah. That initial achievement chest tsunami. Embrace it!

#8 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

Yeah, not much has changed. There have been a few class tweaks here and there but nothing dramatic that I can remember. I've been leveling my Elementalist while listening to podcast and talking to fellow duders on Mumble.

#9 Posted by Random45 (1045 posts) -

@seppli said:

About a year ago, after completing my grind for a legendary, I quit Guild Wars 2 (around the time when the first Super Adventure Box came out). It's GotY season now, and I want to catch up on all the latest GotY podcasts. I rarely listen to podcasts when I don't play MMOs, so I decided it's the perfect opportunity to dive back into the game - lest I'll miss all the GotY fun.

What do I need to know?

There has been a ton of content added, but it was all temporary content so... I guess nothing has been added since you've been gone!

#10 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1836 posts) -

I guess I should probably post in here...

I started playing this game again but despite the amount of time I've put into it(I have a 34 guardian) I... still don't actually know how to play this game. I don't understand what stats I should be looking for, how to "build" my character with the talent points, how to properly fight enemies. It feels like a lot of the time I'm not doing so great even though I win, and I often feel like I end encounters with less health than I should be, especially on my new warrior. Is doing the little hearts on the map the only real way to gain experience?

I guess what I'm asking is how do I not be stupid about this game I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY THIS AAAAAAA

#11 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

I started playing this game again but despite the amount of time I've put into it(I have a 34 guardian) I... still don't actually know how to play this game. I don't understand what stats I should be looking for, how to "build" my character with the talent points, how to properly fight enemies. It feels like a lot of the time I'm not doing so great even though I win, and I often feel like I end encounters with less health than I should be, especially on my new warrior. Is doing the little hearts on the map the only real way to gain experience?

I guess what I'm asking is how do I not be stupid about this game I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY THIS AAAAAAA

I've been playing since Early Access and I still don't know how to properly build a character, so don't feel bad about that. I usually just look for builds online and see what I like. As for XP, yeah, doing the Renown Hearts/quests will give you more experience. 100% a zone will give a good amount of experience as well as a chest, so if you can, I'd try to do that. Though, some zone will/can be more of a pain to 100% than others. I think I'm the only one in our guild that's actually still trying to fully complete zones on my characters.

#12 Edited by xyzygy (9891 posts) -

@kadash299: When you say Mesmers are annoying... I'm assuming you mean to play against? I am thinking about starting my third character up as a Mesmer and want some opinions on how fun they are to play.

I too am heading back into Tyria :) I have a level 80 Engineer and working on a 20-something Necromancer.

#13 Edited by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@random45 said:

@seppli said:

What do I need to know?

There has been a ton of content added, but it was all temporary content so... I guess nothing has been added since you've been gone!

The two big temporary dungeons (molten facility and the aetherblade hideout) were added permanently as fractals, so saying nothing has been added isn't entirely true.

@xyzygy said:

@kadash299: When you say Mesmers are annoying... I'm assuming you mean to play against? I am thinking about starting my third character up as a Mesmer and want some opinions on how fun they are to play.

I too am heading back into Tyria :) I have a level 80 Engineer and working on a 20-something Necromancer.

Yeah annoying to play against. Fun as all hell to play in a group setting.

#14 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3152 posts) -

I was going to try explaining things poorly, but then I saw this guide, which pretty much covers every question you have in way more depth than I can provide. Be sure to read the top couple of comments!

#15 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Logged in for one session. The LFG tool is a really neat, and much appreciated addition. Due to the simplicity of the core controls, muscle memory pretty much kicked in instantly (quite different than the week-long headache it is to get back into WoW everytime).

I shall try and visit Tyria more frequently.

#16 Posted by Jnal (213 posts) -

I tried to play but I had to many friends on to many different servers. Then the friends I was going to join either went to different servers before I joined and didn't tell me or didn't buy the game. I ended up having maybe 1 friend on the server and just stopped playing.

#18 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@jnal said:

I tried to play but I had to many friends on to many different servers. Then the friends I was going to join either went to different servers before I joined and didn't tell me or didn't buy the game. I ended up having maybe 1 friend on the server and just stopped playing.

If you don't play WvW, server honestly does not matter that much. You can guest to their server (or them to yours), and dungeons do not depend on servers at all.