is this game a worthwhile solo experience?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mellotronrules

i am appealing to the GBBT (giant bomb brain trust) to ask for purchasing advice regarding Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

it's currently on sale via steam's anime sale and i've heard too many good things to not be curious. i know @unastrike is a fan, so here are the facts:

-i'm not a fighting game pro, but i do like to dive in and learn systems

-i have zero experience with guilty gear

-i do like the arc system works blazblue games

-i will be playing vs. AI/solo exclusively

would this be worth it for approx. $20? thanks yall!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zeik

I played it mostly solo when I picked it up (mainly because I couldn't use my PS3 fightstick) and I enjoyed it well enough. It has a reasonably lengthy story mode and the mechanics are simple enough on the surface that you don't need advanced fighting game knowledge just to get in there and hit stuff. And if you've played Blazblue you should more or less understand how it plays.

I wouldn't recommend it at full price, but for $20 why not?

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#3 riostarwind  Moderator

I picked it up for around 20$ when it was on sale on PSN The animated movie story mode is at least worth one watch. I didn't like M.O.M. mode but it might be up your alley if you like spending a lot of time leveling up a character by beating a bunch of fights. Overall if you like playing through all the characters in arcade mode like I do it is definitely worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its about as fully featured as most fighters so if you like the style you'll likely have a good time.

Personally Blaz Blue has more interesting fighters (Carl ❤️) but GG is still an ok time with basic but fun setups, comparatively.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fRAWRst

If you enjoy blazblue, GG is just a slightly different version of it. Fully feature anime story, fleshed out modes and trials

very fun to get into. its a bit more "og" than blazblue in that alot of the same archtypes are present but feel a bit simpler overall.

EDIT: is there a reason itd be single player only? Deep diving on a brand new fighting game with a friend is probably the most fun you can have these days

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mellotronrules

thanks gang- good advice, i think i'll give it a shot!

@frawrst said:

EDIT: is there a reason itd be single player only? Deep diving on a brand new fighting game with a friend is probably the most fun you can have these days

combination of spotty wifi (no ethernet available) and lack of local friends who want to go deeper than button mashing!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had fun with it solo, got the platinum trophy and everything. It helps for understanding tournaments if you want to watch those, and the advanced training challenge thingies are pretty good for learning how to punish stuff in any fighting game.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Keep in mind the story mode is just a very long episode of anime with optional glossary thrown in, but I'm sure you'll have fun playing around with the different characters.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe for a weekend? I feel like you'd run out of things to do or get bored quickly