#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

.. While it's a bit of an arcade experience, the requisite Halo freedom is there in full force. Players will be able to customize their roles on the battlefield through various loadouts, and will also be able to hop in and out of familiar vehicles like the Wraith or the Warthog. It's all part of the same seamless sandbox experience we're used to on the console. The only difference is that now we're looking down at it all from above. Players control the movement of their character or vehicle with the left stick, and control the direction of fire with the right stick. Options to lob grenades or enter vehicles are available with a simple tap.

The story marks the return of Sarah Palmer, the UNSC Commander and veteran of the First and Second Battle of Requiem. The whole context of the game borrows from the Spartan Ops model, which has players running through missions in a tactical simulator, complete with daily challenges. In a sense, the tablet and phone version of the game serves as the simulator through which the player is meant to relive the storied battles from the Halo lore. As the player completes challenges, he or she will unlock new content for Halo 4 and Waypoint. ..

The animations, effects, and overall style of the game make it as authentic a Halo experience as possible. Halo Spartan Assault pushes the hardware well past the line at which you immediately follow "it looks good" with "for a tablet game." The audio, provided by Skywalker Sound, completes the presentation.

IGN: Halo: Spartan Assault is a Twin-Stick Top-Down Shooter

I kept seeing that there was gonna be a Halo 1 prequel with 'Chief, for the Xbox One launch. Then I saw that Spartan Assault logo on that photo that's going around. I guess Spartan Assault might not be the same thing, maybe on Xbox One.. We'll see, E3!

But at least something is finally coming out on Windows Phone. I'm not sure if they would start doing doing DLC, but that sure would be smart.. And it comes out in July, so cool shit! Honestly, I've been on the Windows Phone side for a little while now. And I like the Microsoft apps just fine. I.e. SkyDrive, Xbox Music, etc. And I think this might make me happy to stay over here, for my next phone in December. By then, the Nokia 925 would finally be out and priced low enough for me to get. :)

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (13851 posts) -

On one hand I can't blame them for trying to use Halo to get people over to Windows Phone/ Windows 8 BUT that also just means I think far less people are going to actually play it. The number of people who are actually willing to switch for this are most likely in the minority.

#3 Edited by kristov_romanov (438 posts) -

I have a Surface, guess I have something to do with it now.

#4 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3627 posts) -

On one hand I can't blame them for trying to use Halo to get people over to Windows Phone/ Windows 8 BUT that also just means I think far less people are going to actually play it. The number of people who are actually willing to switch for this are most likely in the minority.

That was my thought. Makes total sense they'd keep it on Windows Phone but I dunno seems like a stretch to think people would move over for this. Still though apps has been one of the things that platform has been lacking so this is a good thing I guess.

Looks cool though, twin stick Halo shooter would keep me entertained for a bit.

#5 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

I'm really bummed that this doesn't have multiplayer or gamepad support. They could have pulled off a kick-ass Renegade Ops style multiplayer shooter. In stead I'll probably end up playing this on a bus with bad touchscreen controls.

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -
#7 Posted by bigjeffrey (4157 posts) -

cool will play it on my PC, don't dig phone controls

#8 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Looks nice, but will have to wait for it to come to iOS.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

So it isn't coming out for Xbox? Wow, that's crazy.

I wonder if this means we can get Halo 3, 4, Reach, and ODST on the PC as well? Nah. Halo 5? More likely, but probably not either.

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

cool will play it on my PC, don't dig phone controls

Yeah, I'm in for a PC version. I like twin-stick shooters (have since Smash TV), so this is right up my ally. I said it would take more than Halo to interest me in an XBO, and if I can get my fix on the PC, I'm good.

#11 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2142 posts) -

Windows Phone LMAO

Seriously this game doesn't look too bad. Wish it came on XBLA or something.

#12 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

Windows Phone LMAO

Windows phone is a solid OS, been on it for 3 years, just saying.

#13 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2142 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@turtlebird95 said:

Windows Phone LMAO

Windows phone is a solid OS, been on it for 3 years, just saying.

I'm not saying the OS is bad, there's just hardly any great apps for it. (At least in comparison to iOS and Android)

#14 Edited by PalmettoBling (22 posts) -

@demoskinos:

It's not really about getting the people to switch over. You don't switch eco-systems for that kinda thing. It's for the people already on the system, and getting them to not switch back. Same reason Coke and McDonald's advertise. Everyone knows who the hell they are, but they advertise so the people who buy their products are reinforced with their decisions.

That said, I have a Surface and WP8 and I love both of them. Cross platform play for my Galactic Reign and Skulls of the Shogun is marvelous.

#15 Posted by Budwyzer (486 posts) -

Is it free? Too bad my Win8 machine is my low-power HTPC.

#16 Posted by Budwyzer (486 posts) -

@demoskinos:

It's not really about getting the people to switch over. You don't switch eco-systems for that kinda thing. It's for the people already on the system, and getting them to not switch back. Same reason Coke and McDonald's advertise. Everyone knows who the hell they are, but they advertise so the people who buy their products are reinforced with their decisions.

That said, I have a Surface and WP8 and I love both of them. Cross platform play for my Galactic Reign and Skulls of the Shogun is marvelous.

No. It's about making you switch. It's about that day that you question everything you are, and happen to see a Pepsi (or coke, bleh) ad and say to yourself "Today is the day I reinvent myself!". But also, coke kills, so....

#17 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4027 posts) -

@budwyzer: Ahm. I think its like $7 on both.