#1 Edited by Demoskinos (13853 posts) -

Yikes so this sucks. Apparently the weather took a turn for the worst and flash floods happened around the area where Hello Games is located. Kotaku posted the story along with several tweets.

Fuck man. Seems they may have lost everything possibly including the work on No Man's Sky. That's really awful. =(

#2 Edited by Vextroid (1316 posts) -

Here's hoping they invested in off-site backups of some kind.

#3 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

Aw man, that sucks. Hope they're able to pick themselves back up without too much trouble.

#4 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Im sure they have it all backed up some place. Not god himself can stop these guys from creating a new universe.

#5 Edited by UncleBenny (350 posts) -

oh jesus that's a fucking bummer

#6 Edited by development (1589 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Fuck man. Seems they may have lost everything possibly including the work on No Man's Sky. That's really awful. =(

I highly doubt it. One of the first things you learn in any kind of software development is to store backups, including off-site backups. If they somehow did lose everything then they're idiots. Not to say I don't feel sorry for them, but if they honestly didn't have off-site backups then what in the fuck are they even doing in this business? That's not a mistake you make on your third major game. For the record, though, I'm sure they indeed have safe backups somewhere.

This may remind you of a certain controversy not too far in the past: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ldkwg/the_indie_stone_project_zomboid_has_been_struck/

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (7647 posts) -

Damn.

#8 Posted by csl316 (7354 posts) -

Read this earlier and it sucks hard. Hopefully the game made a good impression and someone just gives them a bunch of money to fund it/rebuild.

#9 Posted by Capum15 (4571 posts) -

Oh man, that's terrible.

#10 Edited by Demoskinos (13853 posts) -
#11 Posted by Nodima (944 posts) -

Hopefully this does't turn into a RZA's basement situation.

#12 Posted by Andorski (5108 posts) -

I don't think they would be so light-hearted about the issue if they didn't back up their stuff off-site. I imagine that the worst thing the devs will have to deal with is getting new equipment and setting up their offices back to normal. A minor delay in work, but not a major setback.

#13 Posted by BaconGames (3129 posts) -

I begrudge no one for their losses, no matter how absent minded or preventable. Anyone who lost data or personal belongings in this always pines for the what ifs as I have done myself. It happens and the least we could do is wish for the best and hope they can recover as best they can.

#14 Posted by Gruebacca (404 posts) -

Man, that sucks. Hope they can rebuild and get back on track soon. No one deserves to have their home or business flooded in.

#15 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

My game studio got no business looking like this

#16 Posted by Korolev (1646 posts) -

Yeah, heard about those floods in the UK. Sorry about your offices. I surely hope that they've backed their stuff up. No Man's Sky looked good. Hopefully even if they've lost everything they can put it back together and maybe get some angel investor to further the game.

#17 Posted by joshwent (1778 posts) -

No Man's Dry.

(was my first thought, and yes, I felt bad about it.)

If anyone knows if their data was at least backed up, please let us know in this thread. I have to imagine that a (potentially giant) setback like this, for such a small team with what has to be a microscopic budget, could really put their next game into question. All my thoughts with them and their laptop boards in bags of rice right now.

#18 Posted by HatKing (5564 posts) -

These guys have industry experience. There's no way they don't know to have backup somewhere. At worst, I assume they lost a few days of work (which still sucks). Glad they're safe though, and it sounds like things are going well for them considering. Hopefully they can get things back to normal soon.

#19 Posted by Hawkerace (260 posts) -

No man's Island!

Wishing the best.

#20 Posted by narujoe93 (2434 posts) -

So their insurance company isn't going to cover the damages...

Hopefully this doesn't set back production that badly... It's unclear how they handled backing up the work done so far, so Im kind of scared this thing is gonna get cancelled, or something.

#21 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1783 posts) -

Hopefully this doesn't set back production that badly... It's unclear how they handled backing up the work done so far, so Im kind of scared this thing is gonna get cancelled, or something.

... Then why do they even insure for flooding if the only places they'll insure are places that don't flood?

Ugh.

#22 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (2950 posts) -
#23 Posted by SomeJerk (2970 posts) -

It's all backed up safe and sound but they're not going to survive the insurance company screwing them like that.

#24 Posted by FLStyle (4396 posts) -

This sounds like a job for KickStarter!

#25 Edited by StarvingGamer (7560 posts) -

@artelinarose said:

@naru_joe93 said:

... Then why do they even insure for flooding if the only places they'll insure are places that don't flood?

Ugh.

This is just SOP for insurance companies, do everything you can to avoid paying out. Hello Games has to push back.

#26 Posted by Marokai (2636 posts) -

Fucking insurance companies, man. That's really devastating.

#27 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

Ughhhh that's awful!

#28 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

Shit, man. That sucks.

#29 Edited by ripelivejam (2787 posts) -

hoping for the best. this seems like a situation where they'll try to soldier on regardless of the setbacks. this game just looks too damn amazing to give up now.