#1 Edited by BoneChompski (234 posts) -

I've been eyeballing this game on Steam. It comes out on the 23rd and is on sale for 30% off (about $11) until til the 31st. Has anyone played it and if so, what did you think?

I realize it isn't in full release, curious if there are any beta testers out there.

#2 Posted by stryker1121 (1565 posts) -

I'm interested in this game, too. Hoping the guys do a QL at least.

#3 Edited by ant0ni00 (21 posts) -

@bonechompski:

I bought it a couple days ago, but its not available for play yet. The second it opens up and finishes downloading however, I will definitely be playing this. I've seen some gameplay and it looks pretty good.

@stryker1121

I'm also hoping for a GiantBomb quicklook.

#4 Posted by James_Hayward (456 posts) -

I'm interested to see how this plays. The genre is over-exploited but if the gameplay is enjoyable then I might be swayed...

#5 Edited by stryker1121 (1565 posts) -

FWIW..One review on Metacritic so far smacks the game down pretty hard for poor control and repetitive gameplay..it's from a French gaming blog. (You'll have to translate it)

#6 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (176 posts) -
#7 Posted by MB (12911 posts) -
#8 Posted by rotorious (75 posts) -

I too am interested, seeing as how it's 30% off on steam right now.

#9 Edited by DJJoeJoe (1329 posts) -

Kinda mediocre, has something to it's aesthetic (the UI theme/tone) and it's basic mechanics but it doesn't really develop things past a point, I felt very quickly like I was on the "now do what you've been doing over and over until you run out of missions" about 2-3 hours in, the 'quests' are the most basic quests that can exist in video games, and that's about all there is to the game.

There's something there though even if it's just hinted at. If you're the kinda person that would enjoy a top down action shooter like diablo and if mediocre isn't a swear word to you then this definitely can have some value. To me this feels similar to State of Decay though for that game it's a lot more developed and it's inherit systems in a sandbox open world is a bit more compelling than "diablo game on a tiny island with like 3 types of zombies... forever". Just feels underdeveloped overall, would love to see this do ok for the studio and for them to make a more fully featured game with similar mechanics.

#10 Edited by ScottG13 (88 posts) -

I think it's an ok value for $10-$15 bucks. I good little time waster that I'll likely beat. It's not incredibly frustrating, but it has some odd mechanics. For a "loot" game, it doesn't expose very much in the way of stats. It's not clear how permanent things are. Inventory management is poor, as expected. Crafting is not always clear.

Still. Not bad and a good effort. I've certainly played worse.

#11 Posted by Drekly (176 posts) -

Played it, really boring.

I know it's not the most well written review, but holy shit I could barely play more than an hour. You come across these stupid books which RIP YOU OUT OF THE GAME and show you a stupid 'survival guide' video which seems completely out of place. That drove me mad.

#12 Edited by Village_Guy (2656 posts) -

@drekly said:

Played it, really boring.

I know it's not the most well written review, but holy shit I could barely play more than an hour. You come across these stupid books which RIP YOU OUT OF THE GAME and show you a stupid 'survival guide' video which seems completely out of place. That drove me mad.

Yep, it was boring and those books are some of the worst collectibles in a game ever.

#13 Posted by DoctaWAFFLES (1 posts) -

I've played this game for an hour or so it's a fun game you really need to explore and combine stuff like right now my best weapons are a wooden bow with a stabilizer and pulley and my second best weapon is a steel axe

#14 Posted by sixnahalf (50 posts) -

nah don't like the game for me its kinda boring try playing DOTA instead :D

#15 Posted by rickydlam (2 posts) -

Played it single player for about 3 hours, lots of exploring and collecting to combine and build better weapons/armor. So far there isn't much of a challenge, fought my first "boss" and it wasn't very difficult. Legolas, Legolas, Legolas, then he charges so you dash. Repeat. Overall I think it deserves a better metacritic review than 57... it's cheap and I'm sure co-op would be a bit more entertaining. I'd rate it a 7/10. There is no compelling story, and if you find it fulfilling to explore and find items to later combine and create a pre-set gear list, you'll probably enjoy the game. You'll learn to have to balance backpack space with 4 types of items you'll need to survive. Water, Food, Weapons, Special items. You need Water, food, and sleep to survive as well as weapons to defend yourself.