Is Hyrule Warriors worth it?

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been interested in the game for so long, but it has yet to have any kind of price drop. I wanted to pick up a new game at retail this month, and I'm deciding between that, Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Curse, or the DmC Definitive Edition. I've already played DmC and Vergil's Downfall on the 360 though, so I feel weird about dropping $40 on that since I won't be experiencing a lot of new content.

Hyrule Warriors seems like the best bet here, but it's $60, 65 new in Canada. I'll more than likely get it used, but it will still be at least $10 more than the other games plus any DLC I may want. I'm just now getting into DW (been playing Gundam 2 and having a good time) after feeling burned by the series for so long, and HW just looks like something I could play for hours.

What would YOU do?

kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By kzebski

Have you considered Bayonetta 2? It reviewed well and there's a free demo if you want to try it out. If you don't already own it, it's worth consideration.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean, if you're just looking for a new action game, definitely get Bayo2, as @kzebski said. If you're specifically looking for how much content is in it...I've played Hyrule Warriors for ~90 hours and I'm still far, far away from doing everything there is to do. BUT, you will have to play a lot of a Musou game to do that, which may or may not be your thing. The Zelda fanservice is strong, but that may or may not be enough for you.

I think you should play Bayo2 regardless, as it's a best-in-class character action game. Especially if you liked the new DmC. If you like/can tolerate Musou, Hyrule Warriors is a great value.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Out everything you've mentioned in your post, Hyrule Warriors would be what I pick. I thoroughly enjoyed Captain Toad but it's on the shorter side. I haven't played the new Kirby game yet but I've heard a wide range of opinions on it. If you've already played DMC, buying the definitive edition could probably wait if you really want to.

As for Hyrule Warriors, it's a fantastic Musou game if you're fine with that type of game. The DLC is an awesome value (Like much of Nintendo's DLC atm) and the wide range of characters (Not as much as a typical Musou game but it covers a lot of the Zelda universe). The little touches of Zelda thrown into the game are awesome. The main negative mark I have against the game is that the performance takes a bit of a hit when playing co-op.

However, if Bayonetta 2 was thrown into the mix, that would be my pick hands down.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AsKo25

Thanks for the help folks. I ended up grabbing Hyrule Warriors for only $47.99 used at a local game shop, so it amounted to only being a few dollars more than the other choices.

I used to hate Musou games because they didn't feel as tight or refined as something like Bayonetta (got Bayo2 day of release btw but thanks for suggesting that!), but Hyrule Warriors compensates for this by giving the characters these screen-filling, camera-panning giga attacks that happen every couple seconds, so it feels more like its own thing. I also am enjoying all the cute and gorgeous ladies the wonderful cast of characters, they all feel different but are equally world-shattering, and I like that you can customize all their loot. I'm sure other Musou games do a lot of this stuff, but even the Zelda mechanics (finding chests, using items, L-targeting) come through pretty strong. I'm actually playing with the "Zelda" control setup, feels surprisingly natural.

I may have finally had my first real bout of carpal tunnel after playing for a few hours though. Ouch.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@asko25: That is really good to hear.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@asko25: When I was playing at launch with a gamepad, I absolutely had the same kind of aching (and my pinkies hurt, for some reason). Going back with a Pro Controller though, I'm having none of those problems. I recommend it! Though apparently the default buttons are different, because I tried telling a friend how to play when we did co-op, and he felt confused and betrayed by my lies.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This thread is very interesting to me, despite not having a Wii U; cool stuff.