New Hyrule Warriors character trailer: Lana!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Lana is one of the all-new original characters appearing in Hyrule Warriors, and a trailer was just released highlighting some of her moves. Her special attacks focus on using magical barriers and blocks, and looks incredibly flashy. As the Warriors games in general go, her moveset is incredibly unique in that regard.

She's also cute and perky to boot!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I have to admit that her design didn't initially seem very "Zelda" to me. However the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the goddesses from the Capcom Zelda games (speaking of which they'd be neat characters). When I played Dynasty Warriors I always liked the more magical weapons, like the card guy, so I approve of this character.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Not sure how I feel about the character, but those are some sick looking moves.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like her, she looks fun to play and she looks like a really likeable character. That said, she doesn't really feel like she fits into the whole Zelda thing at all, but I guess that's okay since this is barely a Zelda game anyway. :P

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

this looks like some hatsune miku hack for a zelda game or something. hyrule warriors still looks like fun!

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

She looks like a character from a budget PS2 JRPG.

"Simple 2000: The Spellcasting" or something.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Boy, they are dangerously towing the line between Zelda and anime with this game, huh? I feel that 3D Zeldas have done a great job of being not quite anime in their character designs, and it'd be unfortunate if they ended up sacrificing that element of uniqueness.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this game looks lovely. The treehouse stuff I watched was great. Is this game only going to have the good guys playable? I'd be super excited if you could play as Ghirahim, he seems like a perfect fit for this type of game.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

She seems like a Kingdom Hearts character. Why doesn't she have pointy ears?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I find it strange why they're introducing new characters, given how there's still what appears to be so many fan-favourite Zelda characters unaccounted for.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna play this game and enjoy it!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her move-set looks dope, but I don't see the point in creating new characters for this game. I would prefer it if they stuck to the Zelda universe, add some more obscure characters.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of reminds me of Haku's Ice Style from Naruto. Cool.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gee I never knew hatsune miku was from Zelda series, you learn something new every day

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lana. Lana! LANA!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her move-set looks dope, but I don't see the point in creating new characters for this game. I would prefer it if they stuck to the Zelda universe, add some more obscure characters.

Because of the narrative that they've constructed for the game. When Omega Force made the Warriors Orochi series, which is a Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors crossover, they also included a number of characters from neither franchise as a means to expand the narrative. The inclusion of Lana also allows the creators of the game to put their own touch on the cast by including a character that aesthetically features more elements one would associate with Dynasty Warriors in terms of her costuming, but still has features that mark her as a Hylian or a figure of the Zelda universe in general.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Lana's in this game? I guess that means we're in the:

Danger Zone.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Really not a fan of the her design, but I suppose the fact she looks so fun to play makes up for that and then some.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

She looks fun to play but personally I really don't like her design. I get that in a sense this isn't a traditional Zelda game but nothing about her outside of some of her clothing fits into what I consider the well-established 'Zelda look', for lack of a better term. I'm all for expanding that look and diversifying it but I don't think her design is interesting enough to justify it in this case.

That's just me though.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@dark_lord_spam: A warriors game not hewing to the spirit of its source material? I can hardly imagine...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks fun to play but personally I really don't like her design. I get that in a sense this isn't a traditional Zelda game but nothing about her outside of some of her clothing fits into what I consider the well-established 'Zelda look', for lack of a better term. I'm all for expanding that look and diversifying it but I don't think her design is interesting enough to justify it in this case.

That's just me though.

I guess the question there is, what defines the traditional Zelda look? The styles of Zelda tend to shift from game to game, particularly in dramatic jumps like Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask to Wind Waker to Skyward Sword.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

That's just me though.

I guess the question there is, what defines the traditional Zelda look? The styles of Zelda tend to shift from game to game, particularly in dramatic jumps like Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask to Wind Waker to Skyward Sword.

You're absolutely right, there's been so many different takes on the series that I cant easily articulate what the Zelda look is. All I can do is tell you that to my eyes Lana doesn't fit into it.

Just one of those things that is too nebulous to define, really. I could say she looks too anime-y but even that isn't quite what I really mean.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cloudymusic

@euandewar said:

You're absolutely right, there's been so many different takes on the series that I cant easily articulate what the Zelda look is. All I can do is tell you that to my eyes Lana doesn't fit into it.

Just one of those things that is too nebulous to define, really. I could say she looks too anime-y but even that isn't quite what I really mean.

I'm no Zelda scholar, but my gut reaction was that neon green hair and side-ponytails don't seem to be kind of thing that the franchise normally sees a lot of. Her combat animations and attitude also seem pretty typical of an anime-inspired "pretty but tough" character to me, but that's a lot harder to really articulate.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

That's just me though.

I'd posit that it's because the series is generally all about drawing the same characters with new interpretations, so seeing an entirely new character (given prominence, at that) is a very un-Zelda-like phenomenon. But then, so is this whole game, heh.

I'm fine with it personally. This definitely is its own thing, so it follows that it should have some of its own characters -- though I am hoping they end up tying to her to an element of the established lore. Lana? Lanayru?

Of course, I want to see a lot more standard characters show up too. Make this game as fanservicey as you can, Tecmo-Koei!

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks dumb, but I'm glad to see a new character at least. I know some people may have preferred every character just be an already known Zelda character, but I dunno.

Also I think the TP pre-order DLC (at least, I assume that's what that is), is pretty cool. :P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks dumb, but I'm glad to see a new character at least. I know some people may have preferred every character just be an already known Zelda character, but I dunno.

Also I think the TP pre-order DLC (at least, I assume that's what that is), is pretty cool. :P

Yeah, they're offering preorder DLC (at least with the Japanese version, I'm not sure how they'll offer it in North America), and the two costumes revealed so far are Twlight Princess Link and Zelda. I'm interested to see what other styles and costumes they'll include, as the DLC costume offerings in Warriors games can get pretty hilarious.

@euandewar said:

@hailinel said:

@euandewar said:

That's just me though.

I'd posit that it's because the series is generally all about drawing the same characters with new interpretations, so seeing an entirely new character (given prominence, at that) is a very un-Zelda-like phenomenon. But then, so is this whole game, heh.

I'm fine with it personally. This definitely is its own thing, so it follows that it should have some of its own characters -- though I am hoping they end up tying to her to an element of the established lore. Lana? Lanayru?

Of course, I want to see a lot more standard characters show up too. Make this game as fanservicey as you can, Tecmo-Koei!

To be fair, a lot of the Zelda games do feature prominent NPCs, even if those NPCs don't necessarily see a new incarnation in later games. So we get characters like Midna, Fi, Saria, and so on that are all very different from one another.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Superkenon
@superkenon said:

@euandewar said:

To be fair, a lot of the Zelda games do feature prominent NPCs, even if those NPCs don't necessarily see a new incarnation in later games. So we get characters like Midna, Fi, Saria, and so on that are all very different from one another.

That's fair. I wasn't thinking too deep, there. I suppose the difference here is that this game is presented as a sort of 'Zelda All-Stars', so the new face sticks out. Whereas in other games, you expect to see new characters, and -- despite their new-style designs -- easily accept them as part of that world because... well, they are. That's true here too, but easier to forget.

Even though this is ostensibly a mish-mash series celebration, it's probably important to see this as yet another new Hyrule to explore. I was kind of getting at that with my "this is its own thing" remark, but "Lana is this game's Midna" is a better way to put it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could not clash any harder with the look of the Zelda games and this still looks like Dynasty Warriors.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zirilius
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superkenon said:

@euandewar said:

That's fair. I wasn't thinking too deep, there. I suppose the difference here is that this game is presented as a sort of 'Zelda All-Stars', so the new face sticks out. Whereas in other games, you expect to see new characters, and -- despite their new-style designs -- easily accept them as part of that world because... well, they are. That's true here too, but easier to forget.

Even though this is ostensibly a mish-mash series celebration, it's probably important to see this as yet another new Hyrule to explore. I was kind of getting at that with my "this is its own thing" remark, but "Lana is this game's Midna" is a better way to put it.

That does seem like a good way to put it. The game is definitely going for its own style, with its own Link and Zelda, so a new "Midna" makes sense, too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's not a zelda game if your not pushing block. I like her, she reminds me a bit of Nayru from the GBA games.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the moveset, character design is generic Koei stuff.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Snail

New characters aren't what I'm looking for out of a spin-off/crossover-game (especially since it wasn't even Nintendo who designed this character). I'd rather have her slot attributed to an obscure side-character who didn't make it in.