The best PS4 game I've played thus far.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I just finished the good plotline. While the combat and side quests can be repetitive, I enjoyed Second Son as a superhero simulator, probably the best kind I've played. While clearly better games will likely come out for this generation, at the time of writing this SS is the best game I've played so far.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

@boiglenoight said:

I enjoyed Second Son as a superhero simulator, probably the best kind I've played.

Clearly you have never played inFamous 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or even Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet. As a connoisseur of superhero video games I can objectively say those are all significantly better superhero games than Second Son.

I highly recommend you play inFamous 2. If you loved Second Son then inFamous 2 will seem like the second coming of Christ to you.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

I disagree with Infamous 2 being better. Have you gone back and played it after Second Son? I tried.

Second Son is the best Infamous game. Better characters, better powers, better story (the good side at least), better world. Now they just need to drop the shoe-horned in karma system for the next game. I'm looking forward to Last Light (err First Light I mean); hopefully that won't have any karma stuff in it.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By DarthOrange
@handlas said:

I disagree with Infamous 2 being better. Have you gone back and played it after Second Son? I tried.

Second Son is the best Infamous game. Better characters, better powers, better story (the good side at least), better world.

I could not disagree more with each of your points. In fact I refuted all those points and more already.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's kind of boring! Granted, I've only played the first 90 minutes, but that was a few weeks ago and haven't been compelled to go back. Does it pick up later on?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rejizzle

Look forward to playing Second Son. Recently went back and played the first infamous and by God it still holds up, from a gameplay perspective at least. Best super hero simulator might be The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction, although you mostly just ran over people instead of helping them...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi

It's certainly the prettiest PS4 game yet.

The Neon and Video particle effects are stunning
The Neon and Video particle effects are stunning

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree, even though the main character and story are a step down from 1 and 2. I couldn't even tell you the main characters name off the top of my head right now lol. But i had fun moving through the city and using all the powers (except the last one).

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really saying a whole lot, considering the current library available for the console. I agree, nonetheless. After the fairly luke-warm Infamous 2, I went into second son with a lot of reservations, but once I took control of Delsin, the next 6 hours just melted away. The controls are so tight, the movement feels so great, the characters were interesting enough to keep me going, and it's all wrapped up in a nice, tight 14 hour package. As soon as I started feeling like the game was going to start to drag soon, it ended. One of the problems I had with the second Infamous game, is that after 12 hours, I felt like I saw everything, and wanted it to just be over, which is when it started to drag. Sucker Punch knew exactly how long this game needed to be, without dragging it out.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I enjoyed my time with Second Son, but I can see it being one of those games that people go "Oh, that game came out didn't it." in a couple of years time. There's nothing particularly memorable about it other than its incredible facial stuff and I'm sure there's a lot more of that to come this generation.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just started to pick up my second playthrough again on Expert. I just finished WatchDogs and I thought that game was pretty good on the graphics department, but man! Playing I:SS again it feels almost like a generation of difference. The lighting and material shading is so good; a metal pipe really looks like a metal pipe and same goes for concrete and cloth.
Gameplay wise it can be good from time to time (really spectacular fights), but it's more of the same. I think overall I had more fun with WatchDogs, due to it's integrated multiplayer part, but this one is a close second (actually third, they both get asskicked by Transistor :)).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

Second Son is the best Infamous game. Better characters, better powers, better story (the good side at least), better world.

I could not disagree more with each of your points. In fact I refuted all those points and more already.

I'm just here to support that post.... again.

My expectations were too high, thinking it was going to be more than a launch title. Alas, that's the level of ambition that it hit. Nice graphics, stepped down everywhere else.

Saying this when Infamous was my favorite new Playstation series of last gen.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: yes. You become more and more powerful over time until you feel super fast and very strong. Its a fun progression.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I concur with @handlas. inFamous 2 was pretty annoying most of the time. The city kind of stunk, the enemies were more frustrating than enjoyable half the time I encountered them and the story was a whole bunch of nothing. All the characters were fairly lame.

Sucker Punch proved with Second Son the best they can do is some cookie cutter blockbuster characters that really don't make much sense as people with any close inspection, but they returned to the roots of the original inFamous with a highly addictive gameplay loop in a fairly straightforward city and some awesome power effects. They trimmed all the fat that inFamous 2 added and basically seemed to pretend it'd never happened, which was probably for the best.

The only thing inFamous 2 really had going for me was the improved melee combat.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed inFamous: SS but I think I preferred the PS3 ones.

Still, Sucker Punch did great considering it's a very early next gen game and they were likely under pressure to get it finished.

Just imagine what they could do with a sequel.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't believe the shit talking against Infamous 2 in this thread, especially compared to the first game. As someone that played Infamous and Infamous 2 back to back right before Second Son came out, I can safely say anyone that genuinely believes the first game is better than Infamous 2 hasn't taken a real comparative look at those two games side by side.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played and beaten inFamous to completion five times, including twice after inFamous 2. I really have no desire to play inFamous 2 again, I didn't even get the DLC for it.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its easily the most boring game I've played on the PS4 thus far. I don't know how they managed to take a game where you turn into dust and neon lights so boring, but by God they did it. I probably got halfway through the game before realizing it was mind numbingly repetitive, and I haven't picked it up since.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By conmulligan

@ll_exile_ll: I played the first and second games back-to-back about 18 months ago and I think the first is substantially better.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ll_exile_ll: I played the first and second games back-to-back about 18 months ago and I think the first is substantially better.

I'd be really interested to know why, because in my mind Infamous 2 does pretty much everything better than the first game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan said:

I'd be really interested to know why, because in my mind Infamous 2 does pretty much everything better than the first game.

My original opinion was like that, thinking the original was better. But after looking back, Infamous 2 just expanded on so many things. Better characters, more interesting combat, cool set piece battles... just fantastic.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By conmulligan

@ll_exile_ll: I thought Empire City was more interesting to navigate and found the story much more engaging. Granted, that's mostly because of the plot twist, without which the whole narrative would be utterly forgettable. A lot of the enemies in the sequel, like the corrupted, were really frustrating to fight. Plus, the whole sunken area in New Marais was tedious as hell to get around. In short, I thought InFamous 2 failed to iterate in any meaningful way on the first game and had a worse setting, more annoying enemies and a terrible story to boot. I think the only thing the second game did better than the first was look way nicer.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I thought Empire City was more interesting to navigate and found the story much more engaging. Granted, that's mostly because of the plot twist, without which the whole narrative would be utterly forgettable. A lot of the enemies in the sequel, like the corrupted, were really frustrating to fight. Plus, the whole sunken area in New Marais was tedious as hell to get around. In short, I thought InFamous 2 failed to iterate in any meaningful way on the first game and had a worse setting, more annoying enemies and a terrible story to boot. I think the only thing the second game did better than the first was look way nicer.

The Beast was also incredibly underwhelming after all the hype from 1. I disliked a lot of the character names (Nix, Kuo, Bertrand), and the addition of alien-bug sort of creatures (particularly that really dumb boss fight with the giant maggot) didn't seem appropriate. Getting around the city, especially that flooded are you mentioned, was a real chore compared to the first one where it felt like I could get from one end to the other in 2 or 3 minutes. And all the new conduit-charged enemies were incredibly frustrating and bullying, especially the ice enemies that would slide kick into a shotgun blast that immediately knocked you over.

I was initially a little disappointed for all the things they stepped back in with the combat they kept enemies that can launch themselves a hundred yards away and onto another vertical plane but it was a good excuse to look around the environment and there wasn't as much other stuff swarming you to make it nearly as annoying.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsnyder82: I agree its repetitive. Easily the weak point of the game. The sidequests are quite bad. I think the combat and the spectacle that comes with it, especially when attacking DUP strongholds make up for it.