Official matchup help and strategies

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I wanted to make this thread so people could throw in problems they've been having with the game against certain characters in general and/or specific matchups. Obviously most of us are new to the game so it'll be some time before the thread gets going but I'm sure there are already some kick ass players on here that can help.

Personally, I've been trying to play night wing but have been having trouble with green arrow. I really have no technique against him, he is just too quick for me to get any sort of combo off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

So apparently you can get away from unblockable thrown interactables with a backdash. I haven't tested it, but people are saying it with some authority.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Wow, I really need to try that. I'm convinced the reason I lose a lot of my matches is simply because I don't use background stuff enough and they take off a good chunk of health.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going at Arrow probably suggest sticking with the Escrima weapons, Bo's have range but if you're going at a guy you can't get anywhere near the Escrima seems much faster at executing combos. You also got ground spark as a range attack to keep the other player somewhat honest.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

Been playing nightwing and have been winning most of my matches with him. If anyone is interested I can share some combos I like and such. Also have been having a decent time with superman and batman.

LoveLikeWoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been doing the STAR labs missions, and I have no idea how to throw those annoying bombs at Solomon Grundy. Anybody know how?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Barrabas

This might be a dumb question, but can you jump aquaman's ground projectile? It seems like the sort of thing I should be able to simply jump to avoid when I see him do it, but I always seem to get caught by it anyway. I haven't really figured out a way to avoid it yet, and just have to downblock and take it.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I've just got the game, but by god does Shazam seem ridiculous. His power trait gives him ludicrous damage, he has a low and high throw (King, anyone?) that he can combo after after burning one meter, his jumping light and medium attacks are insane - both cross up ridiculously well (even his ass his a ridiculous hitbox on his medium attack), with his medium attack being great to combo after and his light attack, with only 2 frames of hit advantage, can make some mental mind-games with his grabs. His damage seems decent (though I haven't seen other characters damage), and his teleport will make zoning much easier. Main right here!

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My buddy has been playing Grundy a lot. My best advise. Run. Run like hell. He only has one ranged move (zombie grab), so don't stand still. But if you can keep your distance and chip him down with projectiles he gets pretty predictable.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So ran into a Black Adam player last night. Basically all he did was run away and grab every item in the environment and toss it at me. Being that those are hard to dodge and you take a good chunk if damage from it, it was infuriating. On top of that black Adam has some good specials to keep you at a distance while he does this

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know what Aquamans power move does, Water of Life?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke is a spam-happy, anti-air spammer, piece of shit.

Sinestro you have to dash in a lot to get past his projectile too.

Those are the only two characters that have pissed me off so far.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke is a spam-happy, anti-air spammer, piece of shit.

Couldn't agree more. Brought the game in to my school on Tuesday and one guy ended up just using Deathstroke and was a huge dick the whole time, spamming the hell out of the guns and stuff.

Someone else also got really good with Lex, basically trapping the screen and keeping people from getting anywhere near him.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Lex can get a mine down, his air taser that knocks you down and then air strike you are screwed. Takes over the vertical and horizontal parts of the screen, plus will knock your ass down if you try to escape. Way to avoid this is don't let him get that stuff off, his moves take a lot of time. His pull then throw move can be blocked, then lay into him.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@brodehouse: If you play against the Very Hard comp they'll pretty much avoid every environmental object, good way to figure out how best to dodge each one.

If Lex can get a mine down, his air taser that knocks you down and then air strike you are screwed. Takes over the vertical and horizontal parts of the screen, plus will knock your ass down if you try to escape. Way to avoid this is don't let him get that stuff off, his moves take a lot of time. His pull then throw move can be blocked, then lay into him.

Lex's charge has a 6 frame startup according to the game, any good Lex player will murder you inclose unless you're Bane or a pre-release combo champion. The vortex hit is a combo ender (and a damn good one) but only occasionally useful otherwise.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Does anyone know what Aquamans power move does, Water of Life?

When active he can drop out of some combos as long as it's not a juggle combo I believe.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thank you.

Anyone have gameplans for countering Deathstroke spammers?

gaftra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some videos I've seen have been using "state cancels" for characters like green lantern or Lex. When in the middle of a combo you hit your power button to begin the animation then use a special to cancel out of it. Seems like a really good piece of early tech.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyhackzack: To quote myself: "For deathstroke it depends how good the guy is really, have to get in close where you can mostly dominate but have to be wary of the spinny sword retarded shit, if he spams nonstop then duck low until he starts doing low shots; then jump and do an air charge and repeat as necessary until you're on top of him, trying not to get blocked. If the guy's great (unlikely) then you'll probably lose but the same could be said for every other character."

I'm about 12-5 against Deathstroke with Lex, could see it being difficult to get close if you have a character that can't move fast in the air.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I have a really basic question as someone who hasn't played a fighter since SC3. I'm just starting to test out the movesets for various characters, but I have a major problem with the analog stick being misinterpreted, especially for back-forward moves. I've tried to switch to the D-pad, but it feels so bad (at least on the 360). How do people normally control movement in these 2D fighters on a standard gamepad?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Barrabas

@veektarius said:

I have a really basic question as someone who hasn't played a fighter since SC3. I'm just starting to test out the movesets for various characters, but I have a major problem with the analog stick being misinterpreted, especially for back-forward moves. I've tried to switch to the D-pad, but it feels so bad (at least on the 360). How do people normally control movement in these 2D fighters on a standard gamepad?

I had the same problem, and I also use the analog stick instead of the d-pad for the reason you listed. I changed the control scheme to street fighter style inputs and have been fine since. Under controls it's the alternate controls option. I do play a lot of 2D fighters so it's the type of controls I'm more used to, but maybe it'll also help you. I dunno.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: My advice would be to not play on 360 personally, but as that's probably not an option I'll instead say that you just need to play a lot and get your thumb control down. Other options include buying a stick or third party pad.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having real issues with alot of projectile based enemies (arrow, death stroke, even superman) found the only way I can at least put up a fight against those is use someone like Flash whose dashes make it easy to get up and close.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having real issues with alot of projectile based enemies (arrow, death stroke, even superman) found the only way I can at least put up a fight against those is use someone like Flash whose dashes make it easy to get up and close.

What character do you mainly play? I can try to help you from there.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@sackmanjones:I was able to figure some things out with those characters, but Raven is seriously giving me fits. Wonder if anyone has any strategies when fighting her usually go with GL or Joker when fighting online.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

So easy 31% combo with Raven. Titan Trash -> EX Slam (Down,Back,Medium)then on rebound jumping Heavy. As long as titan trash fully hits its guaranteed damage and only uses one bar of meter. The only hard part would be timing the Slam from titan trash online due to input lag.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Barrabas

@demoskinos said:

So easy 31% combo with Raven. Titan Trash -> EX Slam (Down,Back,Medium)then on rebound jumping Heavy. As long as titan trash fully hits its guaranteed damage and only uses one bar of meter. The only hard part would be timing the Slam from titan trash online due to input lag.

It can also be continued into another TItan Trash -> Slam for 41%, but I'm having a hard time connecting the second Titan Trash with any amount of lag. If you want a slight amount more damage you can instead do Titan Trash -> EX slam -> jumping medium -> medium, medium -> slam for 35%. It's a lot more buttons to press for not much more damage but it's pretty reliable to do with a slight amount of lag. It's also a pretty easy combo for people new to fighting games to learn because it only uses the medium attack button.

slade_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By slade_Demon

i main deathstroke so i know what you mean when you say spam happy but he has one major flaw and that his start-up/recovery time. if he is spamming rifle then all you have to do is block his shots and dash in. and when you get about mid screen try to refrain from jumping in because if all he's doing is spamming then he might just use that spinning sword move to knock you away. if he's spamming pistols duck the high ones and jump over the low ones or you can crouch block when he shoots then dash in. and DO NOT let him use his trait because then you can't get in. non-spamming deathstrokes gameplan: against rushdown: chip on incoming with guns then do a 20%-25% that puts you at full screen than repeat. against zoning( except sinestro) punish opponents moves with pistols (that also eat through lex's armor) and make them fight close. against sinestro dash in to avoid shackle/meteor block fireballs and once you get in block the tentecle uppercut and axe then punish. against batgirl punish her from fullscreen to make her use teleport. block teleport and follow up with a combo or a grab. don't let her get in close because she has fast overheads and lows that she can combo off of. i hope this helped i don't spam at all and i hate deathstrokes that do i hope you use this info to put them in their place. :D