5th Annual GB100 GP Endurance Race - Jan. 1, 2014 8:00 PM EST

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Poll 5th Annual GB100 GP Endurance Race - Jan. 1, 2014 8:00 PM EST (50 votes)

Road Atlanta 26%
Montreal (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve) 14%
Laguna Seca 22%
Lime Rock 10%
Bathurst (Mount Panorama Circuit) 28%

This Wednesday, a Giant Bomb Forza tradition moves to a game more prepared for endurance craziness! iRacing is the new home for the 5th Annual GB100.

The 5th Annual GB100 Grand Prix Endurance Race

WHERE: iRacing.com

WHEN: January 1st, 2014, qualifying starts at 8:00 PM EST (check other time zones here). Lobby will open up around 6:00 PM EST for practice.

HOW TO JOIN:

1. Become a member of the Giant Bomb Racing League, if you aren't already. The directions to join are here.
  2. When it's time to join the race, you'll see a green driving icon in your league sessions tab. You should join the lobby.
  3. Prepare to endure.

Car selection will allow for either the Cadillac CTS-V or the RUF RT 12R Track, which will likely be the cars used in an upcoming GT series for the league. The CTS-V is a free car, so any iRacing subscribers can join the race.

THE RACE:

At the track voted on by you and the rest of the Giant Bomb community in the poll above:

• PRACTICE: 2 hours, optional (around 6:00 PM EST to 8:00 PM EST)
  • QUALIFYING: 20 minutes, open track (Note: You need to join before this is over to race, which will be about 8:20 PM EST)
  • RACE: 100 minutes. No set lap distance. Local cautions only. Unlimited fast repairs, because we're not savages.

THE POTENTIAL TRACKS:

• Road Atlanta: Premium track. Road Atlanta's a fast circuit with a long backstraight and a lot of sweeping elevation changes. It's where the best-attended and most competitive race of the first Formula Duder season took place.
  • Montreal: Premium track. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is where F1 races in Canada. It's a lot of fast straights separated by tricky chicanes, and has plenty of great passing opportunities, including an awesome hairpin at one end of the circuit.
  • Laguna Seca: Free track. Home of the the famous corkscrew, one of the trickiest turns in the world. It's also the track Drew raced on in the iRacing quick look.
  • Lime Rock: Free track. Often referred to as a short-track road course, Lime Rock is a very short series of esses and fast turns, with a steep run up and down a hill in the middle. Lap times are fast, but there's also barely any time to relax.
  • Bathurst: Premium track. Mount Panorama is home to the Bathurst 1000, the biggest race on the Australian V8 Supercar calendar. The track starts with a long and fast run up to a winding and often blind mountain road, followed by an even faster and more dangerous run down the mountain, including a frighteningly long straight back to start/finish.

PRIZES:

Since a race of this length is uncharted territory for us, and because I can't just give away in-game cars as easily as I could in Forza, I'm going to hold off announcing any prizes until I see our turnout and success rate. We do have a history of rewarding those who demonstrate heart and determination under pressure in the GB100.

...except those weirdos who ran 50 laps of Le Mans last year when they were specifically told not to do so after the actual GB100 festivities. They didn't get prizes for being INSANE.

• 
Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I need a Bath, so much it Hurst

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Oh man, I don't know which track I'd rather race at.

Bathurst seems the obvious choice, but I dunno.

Lime Rock is nice and small which means you should always be around someone else, whether they be traffic or someone you're racing. But like you said, no time to relax at all on that track. Free as well, which is good.

Montreal is a relatively simple track, which is appealing. Makes it more "endure" and less "try and stay on the track". Lots of downtime as well with the amount of straights. It's kinda like a mini Le Mans; straights and chicanes all day.

Road Atlanta is a nice mix of technical and flat out, and we know a good amount of folks that are normally around have the track.

Everyone knows Laguna Seca.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mouse

I feel like a longer track could make for a potentially boring race for many; unless we get 20 guys (which I don't see happening... but I'd love to be wrong about that).

My vote's going to Laguna Seca since it's size should ensure I won't be alone all the time, it's forgiving to mistakes (unlike Lime Rock and Montreal), and it's free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I ended up voting for Laguna Seca... if only because it's been a long time since I've raced there. I actually don't think I've ever actually raced there in a fast car, so that'd be something new.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Crap I voted for Bathurst even though that's probably a TERRIBLE idea but oh well FEED THE MOUNTAIN, THE MOUNTAIN IS HUNGRY.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Dark

@slowbird: Wasn't the whole 'Giant Bomb making its way into Iracing' kind of a terrible idea to begin with? :p

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark: good point. anyway I am always supportive of this type of madness!

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I voted for Road Atlanta, but thinking about it again, I'd probably rather run Laguna Seca if it doesn't win. Mostly because I know it, but also so we can be sure to keep cars together when the four of us actually show up :|

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By IroN1c

Probably won't be there :(

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

voted road atlanta. panorama will end up with everyone crashing. atlanta is a known quantity and has been proven to be racy in our hands since we had a barnstormer of a race there before.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

Probably won't be there :(

Du bist nur das Schlimmste.

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did road atlanta fuel testing testing. the GT3/Track car can go almost exactly 1 hour on a full tank of fuel, and its no sports car rules pit stops, they change fuel and tires at the same time. fuelling a full tank takes way longer than changing tires so i dont see a benefit for double stinting a set of tires.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412 said:

did road atlanta fuel testing testing. the GT3/Track car can go almost exactly 1 hour on a full tank of fuel, and its no sports car rules pit stops, they change fuel and tires at the same time. fuelling a full tank takes way longer than changing tires so i dont see a benefit for double stinting a set of tires.

I'd add about 5-10 minutes to that due to drafting, etc.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dew

Hmmm this seems like as good a time as any to rejoin league activities. Looks like I need to start practicing up!

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedew: Just practice during a race, like me!

midnight_cook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg will the venue be decided ahead of time at some point? Currently there are two clear front runners and though there is a generous practice window it might be nice to get familiar before then.

Also is the field multiclass? The Caddy isn't really on the same field as the RUF Track.... I know this has been discussed but in an enduro the differences will only be multiplied....

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnight_cook: It will be a multi-class field, yes. As for the track, it will be locked in about an hour or so before the event starts. It's part of the challenge of the GB100: The community is free to screw with the track selection at will.

In the event of a tie, a free track will win out over a premium track, and any remaining tie beyond that will be broken by random draw.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking like we're in for some mountain madness.

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bleh, not looking forward to not seeing anyone for 98 minutes after the first lap is done :s

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Road Atlanta and Bathurst are currently tied with 9 votes each, and Montreal and Laguna Seca both have 7 votes. This is where I note that you're free to rally votes however you see fit, and that I really don't want to have to randomly select a track due to a tie.

A notification was supposed to go out earlier today to everyone for the GB100, as well; if that didn't happen, then I'll be very disappointed (and it might mean that I have to set up notifications in the initial event setup).

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412 said:

bleh, not looking forward to not seeing anyone for 98 minutes after the first lap is done :s

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412 said:

feel free to bunch up together every so often ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg: I didn't get any notification :(

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IroN1c

Well, I found someone with a racing wheel and decent enough PC so I might be able to attend if we're driving on Road Atlanta or Laguna Seca. Just have to convince him to let me race for hours at like 2am (I'd say there's like a 40% chance of that happening)...if Bathurst wins I'm definitely out, got no money to buy that track right now. So I voted for Road Atlanta, we had our best race there.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who's voting on this? 38 people; can't be all league members. Just people who vote to vote (popular Bathurst over proven Road Atlanta would be unfortunate). I'm looking forward to the mountain race in FD, but not here.

Going to create some alt accounts to swing this (just kidding). Let's call upon friends to help out. I promise not to hit anyone in the chicane this time!

(oh, and I received no notification either).

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By trace

@mouse said:

Who's voting on this? 38 people; can't be all league members. Just people who vote to vote (popular Bathurst over proven Road Atlanta would be unfortunate).

Let's call upon friends to help out. I promise not to hit anyone in the chicane this time!

People not racing voting on the track is very much part of the tradition of the GB100, as is working to stack the vote in your favor. Go nuts!

(Don't create alt accounts, though, we don't take kindly to those.)

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg: I didn't know of the tradition. :) Of course I wouldn't make alt accounts, but I'm attempting to have my gaming friends swing it a bit.

Looking forward to this. I think if we can all chat during the race and have a good time that way, 100 minutes will pass by nicely and we'll all be endurance legends.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, the wheel I borrowed has a 200 degree lock range and plastic pedals. Also the USB just fails and reconnects sometimes.

The best lap time I've managed so far with that thing was a 01:23:100. And you guys are talking about 01:20s on Twitter.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started painting my car and the doorhandles are mapped weird along with the air scoops, so I gave up for now.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case anyone wants to run a livery today, a pretty big list of freebies can be found here.

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DavyC412

@slowbird: theyre not that bad once you get handle of it... handle... of it

anyway, the door handles dont require resizing or rotating usually. just make sure you get the orientation right and then nudge stuff around till it fits. on that goodsmile car it suprisingly took nothing to get it to fit almost seamlessly just flip and rotate to get it in the right orientation and slide it around till it fit. no resizing and no weird rotations.

as for the air scoops, yeah, i try not to paint anything too complex over it or in that general area. the entire area around the air scoop gets warped anyway (i think its a combination of the fender flare and scoop) so its best to try to keep it simple around there or put in stuff that still looks fine even if it gets a little bit warped.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412: Yeah it's probably not that bad but as soon as I saw it I was like "well maybe another day" because I'm not ready to spend a lot of time on it right now. I'll go back and finish it some other day when I have 5 hours to dump into it.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trace

Track is locked in as Road Atlanta. Practice starts in under an hour.

Hope to see many of you there!

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whoop whoop, we be racin' soon!

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fleabeard

Well since iRacing downloads are super slow for me, I don't think I'm going to make this race :(

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DavyC412

good race everyone. had a nice ebb and flow to it. there were parts where i was attacking parts where i was defending, parts where i was being chased down and chansing people down and parts where i was just lapping. was a little bit of everything, a proper endurance race!

dont know about you guys but this has gotten me stoked for the 2h45m of daytona later this month!! didnt take part last year but i have the two years prior and had a blast (and got two podiums out of it) lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that was a lot of fun.

Shame you had a bad one @slowbird , that was looking like it was going to develop into a pretty close race. Had a few close calls with traffic, a couple of "oh shit" moments due to loss of focus, and ended the race with way too much fuel... but other than that it went pretty smooth. Managed to settle into a mid-1:21 groove and stay there most of the race.

My hands are pretty dead. Hurt a bit and feel kinda numb. I'M TOO YOUNG FOR ARTHRITIS.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My shoulders hurt, but it's worth it; really fun! Definitely a few "holy shit" moments with traffic, and nearly spun in the chicane once, but I'm a bit proud of myself to have held concentration.. and P2 feels nice.

Does iRacing limit the duration of replays, or do I just have some setting doing that? I could only look back to lap 26, and I'd love to look at the beginning.

Congrats to everyone who ran the whole thing; virtual handshakes and high-fives for all!

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a goddamn blast. Had a "oh right, I'm terrible at this" spin at the start which put me a lap down, and ended up fourth after a couple pretty good battles. That was probably the first race I was actually moderately confident in, and ironically, my fastest lap was the second to last one of the race.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By trace

Here's the official results!

Final PositionCarDriverStarting PositionCar #OutIntervalLaps LedAverage Lap TimeFastest Lap TimeFast Lap #Laps Completed
1Ruf RT 12R TrackKhann1145Running07301:22.501:20.73873
2Ruf RT 12R TrackMouse538Running-42.384001:23.101:21.01873
3Ruf RT 12R TrackDavyC412254Running-56.107001:23.301:21.11173
4Ruf RT 12R TrackSkullcrusherMountain744Running-2 L001:24.501:21.07171
5Ruf RT 12R TrackIroN1c424Running-2 L001:24.901:21.0571
6Ruf RT 12R TrackPsEG845Running-2 L001:25.301:22.32171
7Ruf RT 12R TrackSlowbird389Running-3 L001:24.101:21.02470
8Ruf RT 12R Trackbroncosfan108Running-4 L001:27.701:23.64669
9Ruf RT 12R Trackmscott742611742Running-6 L001:29.201:23.21967
10Ruf RT 12R Trackmidnight_cook96Running-8 L001:31.101:23.41065
11Cadillac CTS-V RacecarSamuraiGarrin1257Running-9 L001:33.901:26.2264
12Ruf RT 12R TrackHayFourZee610Disconnected-59 L001:27.501:22.1414

Thanks to everyone who attended! Given the response, it sounds like we should do more of these races, especially if driver swaps and teams are implemented to allow for longer races.

Rocket_Mang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw the stream posted on reddit, wish I would have known about it sooner as I would have loved to join you guys! i'm not familiar with road atlanta or the ruf but I'm no stranger to endurance races, or iracing...whats next?

Spa is a realy nice track :-D

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw the stream posted on reddit, wish I would have known about it sooner as I would have loved to join you guys! i'm not familiar with road atlanta or the ruf but I'm no stranger to endurance races, or iracing...whats next?

Spa is a realy nice track :-D

Well, duder. Hop over here, register for the league, and be a part of our stupid club. We're always looking for more drivers!

Rocket_Mang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aight..im signed up! I work a fucked up schedule(shift work, swing shift) so my availability is kind of screwed but I'm always dtf..