Kentucky Route Zero Act IV 'close'

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Was a bit surprised no one else had brought this up but I had an email newsletter from Cardboard Computer end of November announcing they were nearly ready to release Act IV at last. IIRC the looooong delay was due to moving to the Source engine for this episode so hoping this will be amazing given the quality so far.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@frobitz: I'm as big a KRZ fan as anyone you'll ever meet, but there's no way I'm getting excited for act 4 until it's installed on my SSD. It's been over a year duder, those dudes work on their own time. 'Soon' could mean anything ha.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Only about 3 years away until I can purchase the whole thing and play it through.

Menibenes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Menibenes

@frobitz said:

Was a bit surprised no one else had brought this up but I had an email newsletter from Cardboard Computer end of November announcing they were nearly ready to release Act IV at last. IIRC the looooong delay was due to moving to the Source engine for this episode so hoping this will be amazing given the quality so far.

Hope the delaying worth the product. I`ve already prepared my steam account for this release) Recently I read the post where were said that David Lynch influenced this game, but is it true? Have anybody heard anything about it?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Source Engine, really? Why? Weren't they using Unity before? That seemed like the better option...especially if they wanted to port it anywhere else down the line.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need someone to sell me on this. I started playing it and KIND of liked it, but I wound up quitting when nothing really happened of note. I think I might have also gotten stuck, if that's a thing you can do. I had gotten to a point in the first episode where you are free to drive around to different locations, but there wasn't any obvious reason why or a plot of any kind.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: You're supposed to go to the farm or the mines depending on which bit you're talking about. I'm not gonna try and sell it to you, I'll just say give it another shot. If you can get through the first episode without it getting it's hooks into you then it just might not be for you.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: when I say "sell me on it" I just meant I still have no idea what it's supposed to be about. I just need someone to say, "it's about this" Not spoilers necessarily, but not so vague that it's pretentious either. I feel like maybe I've seen a lot of that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

@bananasfoster: I know you said don't be vague and pretentious but the honest answer is, as someone who has played all three episodes, I'm not even sure what it's really "about." The air of mystery around the story is a big part of what makes the game so good for me.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: It's about a man who's delivering a package. He's told that to get where he needs to go he needs to take the zero, but no one actually knows where the zero is. That's the set up at least, and most of the first episode revolves around that. It's a thing that doesn't try to explain itself well, and as such I have a hard time explaining it with out spoiling anything ha. A lot of the overall plot hasn't been fully explained yet though. There are theories, but explaining those would require spoilers.

There are supernatural elements to it, it has a lot of 'magical realism', i.e it's set in an analog of reality but when strange things happen the characters either don't react or are immediately accepting of it. It's a really weird thing, so I can't draw direct comparisons to any other games as a reference point, but it feels very Lynchian in places.

If you're into weird shit and point & click story games then it's worth sticking with.

Thats the best I can do.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hell I don't even mind how long it takes. I see them as individual game by now, and every each one of them has been special, including the three mini-episodes.

Kentucky Route Zero is my favourite thing going on in videogame right now. It could end up here and it would still be. I'm just happy I'll eventually get more.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bananasfoster: It's about a man who's delivering a package. He's told that to get where he needs to go he needs to take the zero, but no one actually knows where the zero is. That's the set up at least, and most of the first episode revolves around that. It's a thing that doesn't try to explain itself well, and as such I have a hard time explaining it with out spoiling anything ha. A lot of the overall plot hasn't been fully explained yet though. There are theories, but explaining those would require spoilers.

There are supernatural elements to it, it has a lot of 'magical realism', i.e it's set in an analog of reality but when strange things happen the characters either don't react or are immediately accepting of it. It's a really weird thing, so I can't draw direct comparisons to any other games as a reference point, but it feels very Lynchian in places.

If you're into weird shit and point & click story games then it's worth sticking with.

Thats the best I can do.

That's what makes it so hard for me. I love Lynch and I love "magical reality". I love stuff like Twin Peaks or Push Nevada or the game Harvester (or most 90s adventure games, really, since they were all inspired by Twin Peaks). I think I just was getting frustrated because I have a hard time with non-game adventure games that still expect you to do certain things. Like, I don't feel like the game or the world needs to make sense, but my avatar does. I need to know what they know or else I am not them, and they are not me. I'm suddenly a disembodied something-or-other that is observing this thing, but also kind of controlling it?

I'll give it another shot. Sometimes it takes me a few tries to get into something.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what makes it so hard for me. I love Lynch and I love "magical reality". I love stuff like Twin Peaks or Push Nevada or the game Harvester (or most 90s adventure games, really, since they were all inspired by Twin Peaks). I think I just was getting frustrated because I have a hard time with non-game adventure games that still expect you to do certain things. Like, I don't feel like the game or the world needs to make sense, but my avatar does. I need to know what they know or else I am not them, and they are not me. I'm suddenly a disembodied something-or-other that is observing this thing, but also kind of controlling it?

I'll give it another shot. Sometimes it takes me a few tries to get into something.

Yeah, I can see that. There are things in the game that Conway has experienced the are gradually revealed to the player, but it's implied that he's possibly repressing certain things, so to me it seems OK. Maybe you won't like that?

Glad to hear you're giving it another go though. It's a really cool game, but I can totally understand why people wouldn't be into it.