• 158 results
#1 Edited by falserelic (5468 posts) -

Ign gave it the same score aswell. I've also seen people give their thoughts about the game, and it seems like not alot of people like it so much. I was really hoping for this game to turnout aswome, but now I'm going to wait for a price drop.

#2 Edited by EXTomar (4846 posts) -

Not surprised at all. Highly stylized games like this dance on a line where it is easy to see why people would have wildly disparate opinions.

Don't worry about reviews...if you want to play it then go play it. Personally I will not be surprised if it is a big disappointment. :)

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Some of the stuff coming out of reviews sounds really shitty and gross. Too bad.

#4 Posted by Atom (211 posts) -

"Interesting concepts, mediocre gameplay" is pretty much Suda 51's signature at this point. Still, I enjoyed most of his games, so I'll give this one a go as well.

Pity it's not on PC, I haven't turned on my 360 in months.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (22064 posts) -

Ha, oh man, I'm sure there's probably going to be an ensuing shit storm once those gigilo mission things get more exposure.

Anywhoo while this game definitely wowed during its early trailers, the more I heard and saw of it as time went on forced me into cancelling my preorder. The combat, despite initial appearances, being overly-reliant on button-mashing as opposed to what I thought would play similar to something like Rising is one such aspect that's really disappointing to hear. It still looks fucking gorgeous, though, so I'll definitely want to give it a spin someday when it's dropped into the £10-£15 price-range, which probably won't take that long.

Just wish I had exhibited the same degree of patience with Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw...

#6 Edited by Pie (7109 posts) -

I just don't get grasshopper and suda 51

#7 Edited by RecSpec (3853 posts) -

See: Every Suda game. I'm still buying it today.

#8 Edited by Yummylee (22064 posts) -

Also, I guess those screen-tearing issues have carried over from its Japanese release, according to Walton's review.

#9 Edited by ProfessorEss (7451 posts) -
@atom said:

"Interesting concepts, mediocre gameplay" is pretty much Suda 51's signature at this point. Still, I enjoyed most of his games, so I'll give this one a go as well.

Love Suda, not a fan of Grasshopper. I really hope he gets a chance to work with a killer gameplay dev team someday (or Grasshopper gets better someday). I would love to see Suda make a game with someone like Avalanche Studios (Just Cause 2), Volition or Platinum.

#10 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

Is it true Suda didn't even direct this one? It's just got his name on it?

#11 Edited by Yummylee (22064 posts) -
@barrock said:

I wonder. Hell, he was barely involved with Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw at that, so I wouldn't be surprised. In fact isn't he supposed to be really lazy or something?

#12 Edited by audioBusting (1623 posts) -

I kinda wish Suda would start making more adventure games like Flower, Sun, and Rain, because I really suck at playing these clunky action games... I loved No More Heroes and Killer7, but I can't even finish them by myself.

#13 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

It seems like the story of every Suda 51 game... I loved No More Heroes, thought Shadows was okay, Killer 7 had some fun ideas, but I've been weary of this game since the jump. So... I dont know.

#14 Posted by oldenglishC (979 posts) -

I'll wait the month or so until Amazon has it for 15 bucks, play it, and feel like it was money well spent. Just like every other Suda game. His games are always dumb enough to make up for the half-ass gameplay, just not at full price.

#15 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

A few seconds into that video and..

#16 Posted by mrcraggle (1956 posts) -

I loved Killer7 and the most of No More Heroes but a lot of these newer titles just look really clunky gameplay wise but ooze style. This game seems no different.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I'd buy it, but I've already made more than enough game purchases this month and have more planned for next.

#18 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Ha, oh man, I'm sure there's probably going to be an ensuing shit storm once those gigilo mission things get more exposure.

Anywhoo while this game definitely wowed during its early trailers, the more I heard and saw of it as time went on forced me into cancelling my preorder. The combat, despite initial appearances, being overly-reliant on button-mashing as opposed to what I thought would play similar to something like Rising is one such aspect that's really disappointing to hear. It still looks fucking gorgeous, though, so I'll definitely want to give it a spin someday when it's dropped into the £10-£15 price-range, which probably won't take that long.

Just wish I had exhibited the same degree of patience with Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw...

I really enjoy to sit back and watch the twitter wars start. Does that make me a monster?

#19 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

Sounds perfect for what you want out of a Suda game, although I understand how a large number of people might not be looking for that.

#20 Edited by CaLe (4021 posts) -

I've been watching a playthrough of the Japanese version and the art-style is the only thing that makes it seem at all interesting. Not surprised by these scores.

#21 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

I was hoping but truly not surprised. Saw some of the play throughs for the first and second episode and the game looked pretty bad, mechanics looked Lollipop Chainsaw esque with a combination of Shadows of the Damned. I'll probably grab it on the cheap though cause the story still looks like a crazy Grasshopper Studios story.

#22 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

So basically its a Suda game then? Great can't wait to play. As for the gigolo missions I guess people need something to complain about now that Dragons Crown is old news. Never let the sexism flame die guys. Keep those pitchforks sharp and torches lit.

#23 Posted by OurSin_360 (937 posts) -

killer 7 was a bad game, never played any other ones after that overrated garbage.

#24 Posted by bybeach (4899 posts) -

It seems I am in a eternal spin of Killer 7 and for me Shadows of the Damned. It's true I found both annoying at times, and I do not even pretend to have won that horse race without help..wasn't going to waste my time. In Shadows of the Damned I stuck with it, but for some reason I didn't do the final. Still I thought SotD great in aspects, and tolorated bs.

Since then Suda has kind of drifted away for me. I could occasionally see what he was doing in the No more Heroes QL (I now have some version of that.) but at my age I would not touch Lollipop. So, this Killer is Dead just seems creepier and no replacement of Killer 7.

Hell, may eventually buy for that. But where is Suda?

#25 Edited by cmblasko (1283 posts) -

The visuals are really nice looking, but almost everything else about that game seems completely off-putting.

#26 Posted by MEATBALL (3334 posts) -

Yeah, it sounds like it's a real trainwreck, to the extent that I still really want to play it, just now it's for different reasons. :P

#27 Posted by MEATBALL (3334 posts) -

Yeah, it sounds like it's a real trainwreck, to the extent that I still really want to play it, just now it's for different reasons. :P

#28 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

Awwww, Suda, I wish you all the best. I want so badly for you to make another game with a story as weird and ambitious, as interesting and borderline incoherent (yet maybe brilliant) as Killer7.

I found the satirizing/embracing of fanservice to be clever in No More Heroes, but it feels like it's been nonstop comedy/sexy ladies since then, between No More Heroes 2, Shadows of the Damned, and Lollipop Chainsaw. Killer is Dead still seemed a little too focused on sexy ladies and silly amounts of over-the-top violence, but it seemed a little less hokey than the past couple weird comedy things you've done. Alas, I will keep waiting for you to make a game that can grab a hold of my very soul the way that Killer7 did.

Sincerely, BisonHero

#29 Edited by cmblasko (1283 posts) -

@bisonhero: The more Suda puts out, the less satirical No More Heroes seems.

#30 Posted by Veektarius (4922 posts) -

@atom said:

Pity it's not on PC, I haven't turned on my 360 in months.

What are the interesting concepts, again? The ones that weren't in his previous games?

#31 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

That sounded like my personal review of Bayonetta.

#32 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

:(

But Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly! And, and...aww, I don't even know anymore.

#33 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

:(

But Pure White Lover Bizarre Jelly! And, and...aww, I don't even know anymore.

#34 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

It sounds like this reviewer was trying desperately to be above the game.

I wasn't really interested but now I'm going to give it a chance after watching this better review that doesn't bash it out of the gate.

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@barrock said:

I wonder. Hell, he was barely involved with Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw at that, so I wouldn't be surprised. In fact isn't he supposed to be really lazy or something?

I'm pretty sure he's working on his Short Peace game right now (which he seemed pretty psyched about), so at least he's doing something.

#36 Edited by supamon (1333 posts) -

Yep sounds like every other Suda/Grasshopper game. Will still get it when it goes cheaper.

#37 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@barrock said:

I'm pretty sure he's working on his Short Peace game right now (which he seemed pretty psyched about), so at least he's doing something.

I believe he didn't direct those but like this game he either wrote the story himself or had some creative control of the games story.

#38 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@cloudenvy said:

@yummylee said:
@barrock said:

I believe he didn't direct those but like this game he either wrote the story himself or had some creative control of the games story.

Well, good news is that Yohei Kataoka is directing the Short Peace game with Suda writing. That's a decent combo.

#39 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@cloudenvy said:

@yummylee said:
@barrock said:

Well, good news is that Yohei Kataoka is directing the Short Peace game with Suda writing. That's a decent combo.

Not sure how I feel about it, not even sure if it'll get a release outside of the states / europe considering you'll probably have to have some knowledge of the Short Peace project.

#40 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -

The amount of butt hurt it those comments is hilarious. Those types of people decided they were getting the game and going to like it before they've even played it so I don't get why they need a review to validate it for them.

#41 Edited by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

Very reliable review sources man

#42 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

Here we go again! I'm backing out of this thread before it becomes a full blown debate about review scores.

#43 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

From reading the youtube comments...

It's ironic how some people had no interest in playing the game, but after watching the video review all the sudden they want to play it.

#44 Edited by DonutFever (3554 posts) -

I was interested after the first two trailers, but I feel they were only showing the Gigolo Mission stuff after that, so I had no idea what I was in for gameplay-wise.

#45 Posted by Krullban (1042 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:

Different reviewers. Why do people always think IGN is one entity with one person reviewing every game. Look at the review as the person who wrote it, not the website that published it.

#46 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@i_stay_puft said:

@cloudenvy said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@cloudenvy said:

@yummylee said:
@barrock said:

Not sure how I feel about it, not even sure if it'll get a release outside of the states / europe considering you'll probably have to have some knowledge of the Short Peace project.

Eh, I don't think you need any particular info about Short Peace considering that all of them are pretty much independent stories with some shared themes.

#47 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

@krullban said:

@jimmy_p said:

Different reviewers. Why do people always think IGN is one entity with one person reviewing every game. Look at the review as the person who wrote it, not the website that published it.

Also it's Gamespot, not IGN.

#48 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I wasn't really interested but now I'm going to give it a chance.

Also, here's a better review

How is it a better review? A better score, you mean?

#49 Edited by redelectric (161 posts) -

@jimmy_p: Just because a niche Wii game gets a good score doesn't mean anything. Also GodHand is trash. I LOVE THAT GAME TO DEATH, but it is actively on fire. Horribe hit boxes, controls,writing...the game is ass with a cult following.

#50 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@klei said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

I wasn't really interested but now I'm going to give it a chance.

Also, here's a better review

How is it a better review? A better score, you mean?

No, it doesn't sit there lambasting the entire game before discussing the mechanics at work. It also makes a good point about what the hell is going on with this game instead of condeming it as a horrible crime to women.

There's cleary something going on here if it's getting awful scores from sites that are focusing too hard on the optional and apparently played for laughs Gigolo mode.