Award for the most furiously boring intro nominee?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Klei

I played the game for an hour and completed the forest level. I loved it. When I get to play.

Seriously, what the f* is up with this intro? So, Guerrilla developped the PS4's flagship launch game, and told themselves, ''hey, let's have this shitty 20 minutes long intro'' instead of just dropping you in the gorgeous visuals and high-octane gameplay?

Look, I just set up my PS4 and all its updates. And instead of killing dudes, I must follow my protagonist's father, who needs to kneel down and talk to me like if I, his son, is a totally retarded child. Every three steps, you wait for a scripted event to trigger ( and your father kneels down to remind you of a lot of unimportant shits, considering the gravity of the situation). At one point, you even wait for 35 seconds, doing nothing, while you wait crouched behind a wall. And then you wait for two more minutes until your dad and his buddy stops talking. And then your dad kneels down and congratulates you for being so awesome at following you. And then he gets shot. NO SHIT? If only you'd have stopped talking to me like a fucking mouth-breather, you'd still be alive you jerk.

It reminds me of Far Cry 3's intro. A very shittier version of Far Cry 3's intro. Look, I don't mind overly-long intros, but not when your customer just bought himself a new console and wants to be wowed with next-gen right now. Especially since I had to replay the level ( it didn't save for some reason ), having me to replay the intro a second time. Good Lord.

Other than that, I'm disappointed that the framerate seems to be very unstable. It literally jumps between 25 and 45 FPS for the SP.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I just started into this. In the first 60 minutes it is more or less one of the worst games I've played (granted I avoid the really obvious stuff). Maybe on par with Duke Nukem Forever for fun factor.

Hopefully it gets better. So far the shooting seems kind of crap.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Crembaw

Anything which obstructs my deeply-rooted desire to shoot space fascists is a negative. Does this trend hold true throughout the game?

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by the trophies, I think I'm pretty close to the end, but I've ran into two sections that were, to say the least, very frustrating

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@crembaw said:

Anything which obstructs my deeply-rooted desire to shoot space fascists is a negative. Does this trend hold true throughout the game?

impressions from the last few levels have been less than positive

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

@crembaw said:

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tourgen

Yeah. The first playable area is THE WORST game intro level ever. I guess it makes the bad camera height feel alright for the next section since you basically play as a Roomba for the first level.

All the awesome cityscapes and skyboxes, but it's a crappy chase sequence that you get killed for standing and looking around. And the camera height puts railings and other obstructions right in the middle of the view. Dumbest intro level ever.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@tourgen said:

you basically play as a Roomba for the first level.

I would play the shit out of that

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Haven't played it yet. Expect to buy it once I can find a damned PS4 to buy. I like when shooters don't feel the need to just jump the fuck off the second you load up the game. If you expect me to give a shit about anything I'm doing I need some actual pacing and what not. Who knows possibly the beginning is paced awfully I don't know I haven't played it yet. I however applaud games who don't need to jump right into the pow pow bang bang.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Did the first chapter feel incredibly tacked on to anyone else? There's the long sequence then a flash forward, a flash forward, and then another flash forward. And then you're just dropped into the level.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By nicktorious_big

But damn does it look next gen!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to me every here is just super impatient and going into this game planning on hating it.

It's not the greatest intro I've played but it's not terrible. It's not long, it introduces the main characters and their relationship and it sets up the setting of the game. There's nothing offensive about it.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By biggiedubs

@mildmolasses said:

@tourgen said:

you basically play as a Roomba for the first level.

I would play the shit out of that

There's no guns in it, but.....

Loading Video...

Back on topic:

Can anyone give a super-vague description of the faults of the last couple of levels? Is it dumb story stuff, bad design or what?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't want boring, scripted shooters then don't play modern FPS.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't want boring, scripted shooters then don't play modern FPS.

Hey man I just want to shoot space nazis in the face. If there are things in the game ostensibly solely about shooting space nazis in the face which keep me from shooting space nazis in the face, that's a huge bummer.

In the face, I tell you.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to me every here is just super impatient and going into this game planning on hating it.

It's not the greatest intro I've played but it's not terrible. It's not long, it introduces the main characters and their relationship and it sets up the setting of the game. There's nothing offensive about it.

Why would people go in wanting to hate a game they just bought a 400 dollar console for? That is a really lame excuse for people not liking the introduction.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@klei: Are you Chaz Bono?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By crithon

Yikes, Yikes. Was watching the whole Forest mission which I'd imagine is like later like chapter 6 or something like that that looked good if you could skip all the intros.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bobbyr

@biggiedubs: It's mostly gameplay stuff for me (though I've heard of people complaining about the ending). The difficulty has a large spike (like from dying a handful of times on previous levels to where I can't even beat it with the difficulty turned down) at the end of chap 7. Theres a skydiving sequence where you have to dodge rotating platforms shortly before that. I died 27 times on that part. Or maybe I just suck haha

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

According to Digital Foundry's analysis, the game never dips below 30, instead hovering between 30-40 fps in single player.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobbyr: I think if anyone dies 27 times on any section, there's probably something wrong with it!

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm underwhelmed. All of the lengthy cutscenes with boring characters and dialogue had me shutting the game off after 2 hours with it. And yes, that intro was horrrrrrible. I played a couple more chapters today, 4 and 5 I think, but the weak writing and characters bored again. I don't know how to sum it all up without going into writing a full fledged review, but so far the only reason I see myself playing this game to the end is because I paid money for it in the launch bundle I got on Amazon.

PS: Multiplayer is borrring.