#1 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -
Urf

Riot's April Fools joke is pretty great as it's not really a joke. Urf the Manatee has been around for a while, being an April Fools 'new champion' in previous years but this year Urf stands for Ultra Rapid Fire. Riot claims in season 4 they'll remove all resource dependencies, give every champ an 80% cool down bonus and give Marksmen champs huge damage and crit bonuses, essentially turning the game into an ability spam fest. That's pretty obviously the joke but the great part is the 'preview' mode is real and it's as ridiculous as it sounds.

I know Giant Bomb is all about Dota (damn you Brad) but this is pretty great for people who play League.

#2 Edited by Bollard (5396 posts) -

This actually sounds better than normal LoL.

"We also removed Ryze."

Ahahahah.

#3 Posted by azrailx (276 posts) -

not ryze!

#4 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

This looks really dumb in a great way !

#5 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -

@bollard: yeah that and the Kassadin bit was pretty great. Also glad they thought to limit Teemo shrooms. That would have been a nightmare.

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -

@bollard: yeah that and the Kassadin bit was pretty great. Also glad they thought to limit Teemo shrooms. That would have been a nightmare.

Still a lot of brokenness. Nidalee can drop like 50 traps before minions spawn and her CD is lower than her animation time, so you can stutter step to get spears out faster. I also like Ez cause you're never not using your E and you have the ult up like all the time.

Tryndamere-Zilean lane is also dumb as hell.

#7 Posted by Shortbreadtom (736 posts) -

Sounds cool, but they sure picked vids that make it look not that different to people who don't know much about LoL

#8 Posted by MikeLemmer (546 posts) -

@dystopiax: Oh yeah. Soraka's a beast with her constant AoE spam & heals, Leona can keep up a constant 300+ armor/resistance and stunlock everyone, and Alistair is similarly nuts. It's a giant game of "find which champs break with 80% CDR and unlimited mana".

#9 Edited by BenderUnit22 (1477 posts) -

It's so much fun, I love it. I didn't bother to post about it, since this website is Dota 2 territory (nothing against the game, to each their own.)

#10 Edited by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -

@dystopiax: Oh yeah. Soraka's a beast with her constant AoE spam & heals, Leona can keep up a constant 300+ armor/resistance and stunlock everyone, and Alistair is similarly nuts. It's a giant game of "find which champs break with 80% CDR and unlimited mana".

And the silence.

#11 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -

@benderunit22: Don't let that stop you. We can't let Dota nerds have their way around here. Yeah I'm talkin to you BRAD

#12 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -

Sounds cool, but they sure picked vids that make it look not that different to people who don't know much about LoL

Yeah aside from the attack speed bit it's hard to tell if you don't know the game. They had the two top NA teams in the LCS play a for funsies game in Urf mode today and it's probably a little easier to see how broken the game is like this. It's pretty great. Skip to 10:30 if you wanna skip the casters being silly and get to the game.

#13 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

Well im glad i picked LOL back up very recently...this is just ridiculous

Im not one to watch matches but those mid game interviews were great.

#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: yeah super goofy I like what they did with that cast.

Also this mode is so super dumb I love it. Pick Ziggs, spam Q. Profit.

#15 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1477 posts) -

Also this mode is so super dumb I love it. Pick Ziggs, spam Q. Profit.

Pick Sona, get hand cramps from spamming QWEQWEQWE

#16 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

Leona is pretty damn good, root ->stun ->root ->stun...maybe an ult in there

A 1.5cd for a 1.25 stun

No one can escape the Sun

#17 Edited by Sumbog (483 posts) -

Heimerdinger can get two Ult turrets at once and constantly replace them.

#18 Posted by Vuud (1945 posts) -

I know nothing about LoL, but I want to say my favorite April Fools jokes are the ones that turn out true.

#19 Posted by Yesiamaduck (965 posts) -

I love how this mode made some of the least viable champions God-tier

Urgot is now God-tier after having the lowest winrate in the game :D

#20 Posted by slyspider (1185 posts) -

Wait what. There are other League players on GB????? Lies the only ones here are DOTA players and me. This is the real april fools.

But seriously add me on NA: Slyspider