LEGO Worlds now available on Steam Early Access

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Never been interested in Minecraft, Terraria or their like, but this look great. It's the only time I've looked at this type of game and thought, "I actually feel an urge to play that". I think it's because of the amount of life that's on display here. I think the Minecraft team will have to work to keep their spot at the top of the "build your own world" genre.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Are we finally getting the true Lego game everyone has always wanted?

Sure hope so.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked it up off early access after watching gameplay for like 5 mins. Just spent a chunk of time roaming the world.

Not much to do at the moment as far as I can tell. It doesn't have the beautifully simple sense of progression that Minecraft does of starting with nothing and slowly working towards bigger and bigger goals. It's just kinda a free roam and build/place whatever you want. Controls are a little weird. The terrain generator suffers from creating all tiny pieces of land and 90% ocean. It feels similar to Minecraft adding the Biomes and they were way too tiny. We'll see.

Wish you could turn off or turn down the sheen that all the legos have. IMO, the legos should have a more flat dull appearance which is more realistic but also realistic in the.. real world sense.. or something.. I dont know. Point is, castles in real life don't look like shiney plastic. And when I build a lego set at home, they don't look like shiney, lubed up plastic. A lot of newer games seem to use this lighting affect and I'm not much of a fan of it.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Batman expansion when?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I created a game page for Lego Worlds and moved this topic there. Also I adjusted the thread title since the game is already available and playable on Steam Early Access, so "coming to" didn't really seem accurate.

The wiki page for this game is a shell right now if anyone feels like fleshing it out a little.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man this thing came out of nowhere buying this thing now. Always being a Lego guy in my youth.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks really cool. I'll wait a few months until buying it just so it has a bit more substance to it but I'm definitely excited to try this out.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seikenfreak

Wanted to clarify the thing I was complaining about before on the visuals now that I fired it up again: Reflections I guess. All the pieces/terrain have a reflective surface.

There are certain special treasure chests that are scattered around the world. They contain items like a Fish, Telescope, Binoculars, Ice Cream cone which all seem to do nothing or I've now found a couple weapons like a Pistol, Blunderbuss, and Bow. Those are able to fire projectiles.

Vehicles need to be found in the world which then lists them in the menu which you can then purchase them to use whenever. I've only found some little boat/submarine type things, a dune buggy, and a plane. I did just come across a little Bulldozer which you can actually use to remove/level terrain which is pretty cool.

The game suffers from the really ugly world view/load distance thing just like Minecraft has. It really ruins the sense of the world and scale for me as when your flying around in a plane or boat, you just see the world loading in front of you where ever you go. The camera is also a bit rough. Can't zoom in or out. Keyboard + Mouse controls seem pretty awkward. UI is bad. Game handles better with a controller but it's still nothing to write home about. Settings seem like typical TellTale PC Lego games and needs more IMO. Borderless Window mode for example. Turning reflections off. Control customization. First Person view toggle would be good for interior areas.

Game does something when your wandering around then the camera will focus on something in some direction, play the dramatic music, and has like the save icon showing up. No idea what its doing. Camera just point out into the distance where you can't see anything. Perhaps it's trying to guide the player towards important things, maybe the item chests, but I have no idea.

It seems like a decent baseline. If certainly shows that they can generate a Lego looking world and it can be altered pretty well. It needs some gameplay elements though before I would consider this a playable game. Hopefully a mode similar to Minecraft's Survival where you collect resources from the environment and slowly build up with a crafting system. I don't necessarily want to build a castle with individual Lego pieces, as that would take forever and not look as good as one of the professionally designed sets (minecraft's simple block style lets you get away with stuff) but I also don't just want to be able to plop down premade sets whenever I want. I think a middle ground of having certain buildings or elements available, maybe finding recipes in the world (sort of how it works now), and then having to collect the Lego pieces required to create that object would be good.

Edit: Oh yea, there is no map/radar either. So you kinda just wander aimlessly and you'd get lost if you settled somewhere and flew off somewhere.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

This sounds really cool, nice price too. Will buy it when it's out of early access.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Anyone have any information about a possible multiplayer component for LEGO Worlds being in the works? Seems like this game may fall flat on it's face if it's only ever going to be Single Player.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I don't give a shit about Minecraft or similar...but this really looks fantastic. I bet they've been working on this for years.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'll wait to see it get a bit more fleshed out before I consider buying it. Multiplayer would be a pretty big selling point, if I can get some friends to get it too.

Also nice to see it's only $15.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Early Access?

“LEGO Worlds will be a fully open-world, creativity-driven game so we want to ensure that we provide it with the utmost care and attention as we expand on our ideas. So much of this game will be about building and sharing and by sharing our plans with the community, we hope to incorporate their feedback and build an experience together that fans of LEGO and this genre of video games can enjoy.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“The current plan for LEGO Worlds is to be in Early Access through 2015 at which point we hope to have our full list of features in place. We’ll evaluate a release candidate in early 2016, but we won’t consider the game complete and ready for release until we believe our community feels we have delivered a great game.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“We plan to add the following features through a series of regular updates:

 Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation

 Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks

 LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds

 Additional Biomes

 Painting Themes

 Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome

 Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters

 Red Brick Extras

 Full liquid behaviors

 Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures

 Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models

 Additional Weapons

 Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape

 Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)

 Character Customizer

 Online Multiplayer”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The Early Access build currently features:

 Procedurally Generated Worlds

 Terrforming and Building tools

 Discoveries and Unlocks

 Rideable Creatures and Vehicles

 Day/Night Cycle”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Yes, the game will be available at a reduced price during Early Access”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We’ll be actively monitoring the Community Hub here on STEAM and look forward to feedback and suggestions for the game. We'll also be offering people a chance to experience the Development of a LEGO title for the first time, and several members of the team will be providing some interesting dev diaries over the coming months.”

@mb From the Steam store page. "Online Multiplayer" is on the list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Anyone managed to sink a few hours? Interested in how it shapes up against Minecraft.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss

@seikenfreak: I love TTs Lego games, I mean I REALLY love TTs Lego games but yeah that high gloss reflection they put on everything always irks me.

I'll pick this up no doubt but I kinda want to wait until I've heard and/or seen more of it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know I probably didn't say much but it still feels odd having a post deleted for no reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

From the gameplay videos I've seen on youtube I've gone from not caring to 'this is just a multiplayer patch away from being one of the most fun things ever' seriously going to get it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This does seem very intriguing. I like the scale of Legos for building and the fact it consists of special shaped bits to make what you want is nice. Your jet, looks like a jet. You skyscraper looks like a skyscraper. I guess, that fidelity makes it less simplistic to build; but a bit more fun to look at.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what do you do exactly?

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, this game is far from complete, but kind of incredible. The system they use for rendering terrain gives you an environment entirely made of Lego bricks you can remove or add to, seemingly infinitely (except there does seem to be a 'floor' to the world; it's seriously deep, though. No ceiling, either, as far as I was willing to travel up.) The player building system doesn't let you use every imaginable Lego piece, but it covers basic bricks pretty comprehensively, and you can collect plants and other little decorations that litter the generated environment and replicate them. The worlds honestly seem -too- big; everything's a little spread out and repetitive as of this writing. There's some neat toys; rideable animals and vehicles, weapons and tools, and characters to punch; not much else, though. It's got enormous potential, and just the basic building engine seems like a massive technical feat.