Life Is Strange Episode 4: Dark Room - July 28th!!!!!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

Well this is good new! My mind was about to break with this incredibly long 8 week wait, but I shouldn't complain given the quality so far has been so high.

I have been going through the first three episodes [SPOILER] If you go back and look at everything on campus there are a few more clues about the Dark Room and the White Room..

Well the next Ep. cannot come soon enough in my opinion. This is without a doubt in GOTY contention on my list.

UPDATE: "....The fourth instalment 'Dark Room' will be hitting consoles and PC on Tuesday July 28! In this episode, Max’s investigation into Rachel Amber ramps up to a thrilling conclusion."

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Jeez. I meant to check on this the other day and I forgot. Shame it's still not out. Reminds me why I don't like episodic gaming. The wait just isn't worth it for me. I'd still appreciate the full release broken up in to chapters as a narrative device like Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

Jeez. I meant to check on this the other day and I forgot. Shame it's still not out. Reminds me why I don't like episodic gaming. The wait just isn't worth it for me. I'd still appreciate the full release broken up in to chapters as a narrative device like Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition.

Eh, Dontnod has actually been pretty good about keeping schedules, though. The break between episodes is only two months and the only time there was any risk of them not being on the mark was when Ep. 2 leaked out unfinished. They are miles ahead of Telltale, which just keeps getting worse with their fucked up schedules.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's fantastic. I've been feeling that itch for a new episode the past couple of days. Hopefully this means it'll be out either next Tuesday or the week after.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Booyah! Loved episode one. Though I really should play the other two. Shouldn't I?

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, now I'll go back and get the photo trophies that I missed in Episode 3 and brace myself for Episode 4 to stomp on my heart after Episode 3 ripped it out of my chest.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I understand the appeal of episodic gaming to devs but there are so many games that just feel like they'd have benefited by being a coherent piece rather than 5 episodes.

Anyway, was just thinking about Life is Strange today and wondering when we'd get news of the latest episode, so this is good news!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cool. I wonder who's life I am going to fuck up beyond repair this episode.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

Just caught up with Episode 3, boy that was one heck of an experience. I'm personally a massive supporter of episodic content when its done right, so its awesome to see Dontnod do their own thing.

I just love the style of Life is Strange, it captures an image of Americana that I've always been in love with (as an non-American), beautiful but flawed. Still think it would make an amazing TV show to.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man. I went through episode three when it came out (the day The Witcher 3 came out); I really liked it, but when I saw once I finished that there were some things I didn't do, nor did I know I could do, even considering how much I search the areas for everything, I've wanted to go back through it, but I haven't yet. So far, it's pretty great.

CosmoKramer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: Yes you absolutely should. The game really comes into its own with the following 2 episodes. They're both great in their own way. However at this point I would recommend waiting for episode 4 to come out. This way you'll have a nice good chunk to play and won't have the frustrating wait in between. Stay off Life is Strange discussions online though, there are some major spoilers you could stumble upon.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohhh that's very good news, I got into the series after EP3 came out so didn't need to suffer the wait until this episode. I hope it's out in time for the weekend, that would be ideal for me but so long as it's soon then it's all good.

I really love this game right now, all the discussions and theory videos and in depth talks about it are great, it reminds me of Lost, as in back when Lost was out, every episode was a blast to theorize about online or with friends, to the point where half the fun for me was to just have that talk afterwards, this game really brings back that feeling of asking who, what, where, when, why, how?
And man is it ever gorgeous! I have so many screenshots of it I just throw up as wallpaper here and there. Lovely game. Eagerly looking forward to 4.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

Somewhere on their webpage or on twitter one of the Dontnod people said they were looking at the possibility of making a "complete series" physical game release. That way anyoen who missed it or didn't follow up after the first game could do it all in one go with a physical game. I will DEFINITELY have my library buy a copy if that is teh case, that would be an awesome game to add to the collection.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I need this in my life! I've been debating whether or not to replay the first 3 episodes, but I dunno. Part of me feels its best to wait until after the whole thing is complete to replay it, but there were some things I did (I feel so incredibly fucking guilty for taking the money after the end of episode 3...) or didn't do that I want to change so I can get my "perfect" game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I need this in my life! I've been debating whether or not to replay the first 3 episodes, but I dunno. Part of me feels its best to wait until after the whole thing is complete to replay it, but there were some things I did (I feel so incredibly fucking guilty for taking the money after the end of episode 3...) or didn't do that I want to change so I can get my "perfect" game.

I was thinking I woudl replay 1-4 just before 5 came out. But then I restarted 1 with the experience I had with one play through of each I actully did a better job of chooseing what "I" wanted to do. I missed some content in #1 & #2 that I'm glad I went back to with more consideration & time. The game presents some implied artificial time limits that really are not there, so taking your time to explore is actually possible in some sections where teh game is pestering you to meet someone or do something.

Replaying for me didn't change some of my heart felt decisions that might not have been best. In fact some odd choices i made I am digging my heel in for, because I think they "make sense" and are more practical rather than feel good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got an update: Release date is now July 28th!!!!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As excited as I am for this (and I am excited beyond words) I really hope this episode opens with a musical number. Episode 3 was sorely lacking in the field of 'indie rock opening credits' and I would love to have that back.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you had told a young me that the thing I would most excited for in 2015 was not, in fact, a new Halo game, but instead the fourth chapter of an episodic game about a time-traveling teenage girl in highschool, I would have punched you in the dick.

But, here we are. I cannot fucking wait.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a trailer for the episode as well, I refuse to watch it as at this point it will be out so soon I look at it as a minute and half of spoilers. But here is an embed for those who want to see it.

Loading Video...

As for the announcement of it being out soon. EEEEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHEHEHYAAAAAAAAAAAAYSOEXCITEDEEEEEEEHEHEHUEHUISHIFHSDIYFGSDIYUF

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game so much that I am frightened what I will do after it is over. Also, I would assume Dontnod would/is making another game....but when...will it be a sequel...will it be totally different?

Argggggggg! As weird as it would be I think another story, another mechanic and a whole new set of characters is what I want. Yet, I could live with the solving of Rachel Amber's status leading into a bigger mystery with Max and Chloe on the case.

Either way I will be having kittens for weeks after Ep 4 is over!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BisonHero  Online

My hype could not be more real.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By petethepanda

So this is going to be a one-and-done story, right? Getting more and more excited that they might really follow through with the "shit getting real" factor. (Plus it'd be cool if they made it an "anthology" franchise like Fargo or True Detective where a second season would retain the name and some general themes but feature an entirely different story.)

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969:They are making a Vampire RPG, I don't know if it's started yet or if they are finishing this first but that seems to be next on their plate, color me excited. Also they talked about if they do a season two they would want to do a new cast (link below)

@petethepanda: Funny you should bring up True Detective as they have talked about base thoughts on a season two where they would move on to a new cast but keep the same name/themes in an interview they did for Polygon where they mention TD as well. Link.

I think I would enjoy a new cast over all, depending on how this season ends of course, but this makes me hopeful they have a strong ending in mind that ends the story instead of leaving it too vague and too open.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:

@monkeyking1969:They are making a Vampire RPG, I don't know if it's started yet or if they are finishing this first but that seems to be next on their plate, color me excited. Also they talked about if they do a season two they would want to do a new cast (link below)

After seeing the trailer I have to say that it looks intriguing, and yet it also appears they might be just helping out on this game since they don't have top developer billing. A 19th century London vampire...not sure maybe detective...vigilante hunting 'Ripper' serial killers? Definitely hinted to be story based which is a nice take on this concept. That sounds cool for being different, and I'm relived that they are not headed straight back into another Life Is Strange....althought I do want another five episodes.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No spoilers here....just a comment

I'm extremely impressed with Dontnod with this game. They have managed to ramp up the tension and enjoyment of the game right along: #1 was good, #2 was even better, #3 was amazing, and having just played about 2/5 of #4 - I think they might manage to top themselves.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No spoilers here....just a comment

I'm extremely impressed with Dontnod with this game. They have managed to ramp up the tension and enjoyment of the game right along: #1 was good, #2 was even better, #3 was amazing, and having just played about 2/5 of #4 - I think they might manage to top themselves.

Real talk: any publication that do GotY stuff and considered The Walking Dead in 2012 will be getting some significant side-eye if they don't discuss this at the end of the year. Even if they completely miss with the last episode, this has been such a strong middle that I think it's a GotY contender already.

It's pretty amazing how they've managed to solidify some weaker points (dialogue, lipsync) so they're at least less noticeable when they're below par (at some point someone has to tell these adventure game makers about Valve's Source engine and how HL2 did the facial muscles to allow fast and accurate lipsync stuff to be extracted from the audio files) and keep on stepping up the drama. And the game just looks so good with that painted style and some decent lighting.

I really hope that their million+ sales so far is enough to keep the lights on and get more of this sort of thing out of Dontnod. Someone at Sony should think about redirecting some of those French funds away from David Cage and towards a project from these guys to provide some prestige exclusives on the PS4 (I'm very happy to get this stuff on PC and for Dontnod to retain some independence, although it sounds like they have to fight every pitch to get a publisher to allow them to make the game they want to and maybe Sony would provide some hands-off money for a future project).

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beginning of episode 4 lingers a little too long for my taste, other than that great episode, probably the best yet. I have a love hate relationship with this game. I love the mystery, but there is too much teenage bullshit and immature irrationality going on.