Why Limbo didn't work for me (spoilers)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Limbo is a platforming puzzle game, much like Braid or Portal.  Braid was the first game that ever treated time rewind as an ability to do more than rewind your own death.  Allowing you to rewind and fast-forward at will and without limits is a gameplay mechanic that had never been seen before.  Likewise, Portal also brought something completely new to the table.  

Limbo brings almost nothing new to the table.  Some variation of nearly every puzzle has been seen before in other games.  Creeping along with the analog stick so someone doesn't notice you until you're right next to them, jumping over giant buzz saws, balancing on top of a large boulder as you roll it over a pit of spikes, flipping gravity so you can walk on the ceiling, boxes, switches, buttons, electrified sections of floors and walls, rotating rooms, and the list goes on.  Hell, this game even has a MINE CART sequence for crying out loud!  We've done this before.   

What begins promisingly as a series of completely organic environmental puzzles eventually degrades into convoluted puzzles concerning gravity manipulation.  While early on there seems to be other people who might have some answers, or at least a motive for their violent treatment of you, they're soon replaced by cold, lifeless machinery.  My hope for a deeper plot that explained more about the world itself--and the reason for the the events that take place in Limbo--was almost completely dashed.   And before you ask, yes, I did "get" the ending.

What Limbo does it does do well, but what it does has been done well before.  Personally, I feel that while it's a darn good game, it's also the most overrated game I've played in years.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By papercut

I liked this game a whole lot, but I'll give you that when it started getting all gravity manipulation stuff it put me a little off.  Spider and head worms were damn fun though. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CptBedlam

I disagree with all of this.

Also, saying that you did get the ending only shows that you didn't get the game at all - because there is nothing really "to get". Like the whole game, the ending is open for interpretation. The most common, of course, is that both the boy and his sister are dead, hence the name of the game.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BionicMonster
@CptBedlam:
thanks for the spoiler tag .......jerk.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ToadRunner

the game was not very good... taking out the color and music from a game does not make it "good" or "artful", its just a lazy move.

the game is not very good, it really doesnt do anything.

I havent seen anything so stupid pass for art since john cage's 4'33''. 

"Yo man, you have to look at the platforms hes not jumping!"

TomTheRealist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TomTheRealist

@SpaceInsomniac:
I partially agree with this. 
I'm finding the reviews circulating; especially the Eurogamer review are actually making me think negatively of this game. It's been hyped to the max, had it's 'philosophical interpretation' shoved around the internet (when I'm not entirely sure there was much of an intended one) and although it looks good, plays well, and sounds fantastic, it's no 'masterpiece' in my eyes. 
It slightly looses its way towards the later half of the game and goes from physics based tactile gameplay to, yeah, variations of things that we're somewhat familiar with. Also, it's mechanical machinery more than creepy forest more often than I would like. Ya dig?
I still really like this game, but I get the feeling it could have been a lot more. 

Hey 'it's no Braid'.  

@CptBedlam: I get the feeling that this is what he 'got'. That it was open for interpretation. But, I might be wrong and we may never know.  

Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadugarr
@CptBedlam said:

"I disagree with all of this.

Could you explain why? 
This is a pretty good argument for how disjointed the narrative of the story is in the first-half of the game to the second-half. 
It starts out about being one thing, and then tells you to forget all that--just go find your sister, bud.
Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Tsukiyomi
@Jadugarr said:
It starts out about being one thing, and then tells you to forget all that--just go find your sister, bud. "
It doesn't start out being anything, you're a kid that's woken up in the woods. It also never tells you to find your sister, you see a girl at the halfway point before she disappears. The fact that you're implying this game had any type of narrative is odd to me.

Oh and  @ToadRunner said:
" the game was not very good... taking out the color and music from a game does not make it "good" or "artful", its just a lazy move.
The graphic design is hardly lazy, there is a clever sense of depth that I've yet to see in most other 2D games. Same goes for the sound design, the ambient sound effects that play throughout the game were a nice break from the gunshots and explosions I'm used to hearing in the background in almost all other games on the system. Adding colour or music to this game would've just ruined part of the experience.
Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jadugarr

@Tsukiyomi, do you even know what a narrative is? 
Everything has one. Otherwise nothing would be happening at all. 

You are a child discovering a world, all you have is yourself, and you are always in control. That is the narrative. It’s the mechanics of how the story will be expressed as you work your way through the game.

Now, in the first half, as said, you are slowly uncovering the grounds of the place you had woken up in. The world is dangerous, you learn to trust nothing, and as you head on your way the environment slowly reveals a subtle backstory. Everything begins to develop around you. Technology is slowly becoming richer, you discover an aggressive race of people; later, you realize this race of people are not only out to get you, but, perhaps any outsiders. Meaning there are even more people in this world. A third party. 

Then finally you come across a girl…

Now the narrative changes. You are no longer discovering this world, in fact, you’re supposed to forget about all that. The developers were too lazy to further any historical development on the world. Now you have to go find that girl because, based on the mechanics of the game, you know you are drawn to her.

So then you play with gravity and gears till you do a slow-motion ragdoll and find her.

That doesn’t make sense. 
What happened to everything else in the narrative?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Sooperspy
@BionicMonster said:
" @CptBedlam: thanks for the spoiler tag .......jerk. "
The topic name says spoilers....... jerk.
Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tsukiyomi
@Jadugarr: I meant narrative in the way in which the story is told... my mistake.
"Now the narrative changes. You are no longer discovering this world, in fact, you’re supposed to forget about all that. The developers were too lazy to further any historical development on the world. Now you have to go find that girl because, based on the mechanics of the game, you know you are drawn to her."
Do you? When does the game ever really tell you that you're looking for this girl? You just catch a gilmpse of her early on and that's about it.
Oh and if you mention the description for the game, which mentions that you're looking for your sister, then technically you're doing that throughout the game and the "narrative" never changes.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jace
@Tsukiyomi: 

I think he mad cause jadugarr styled on him.
Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadugarr
@Tsukiyomi
Tell me, what was the second-half of the game about, then? 
It wasn't about the world. It wasn't about subtle environmental discovery. You cease everything you were uncovering post seeing that illusion of a girl in the forest, and nothing more has a narrative impact until you meet up with her at the very end. 

And don't imply the narrative is inexistant by placing your own sarcastic quotations around it. That'd be pretty damn insulting to the developers.
Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tsukiyomi
@Jadugarr said:
" @Tsukiyomi: And don't imply the narrative is inexistant by placing your own sarcastic quotations around it. That'd be pretty damn insulting to the developers. "
Not really, it was clearly a choice they made to avoid giving any clear direction to the person playing the game... and the game is better off for it.  I placed quotations around "narrative" not to be sarcastic, but because I was referring to the type of  narrative that you had mentioned as opposed to the type of narrative that I thought you originally meant. 

@Jadugarr said:
" @Tsukiyomi: Tell me, what was the second-half of the game about, then?
You're totally missing the point. It's not about anything really, you're simply progressing through a strange, almost alien-like environment - just like the rest of the game.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By neoepoch

I really don't get the appeal of this game. It seems to just be another platformer with some puzzle elements. All it has in it is just a different art style and "gory" moments. Now I really appreciate art style. If you know me personally, I will vouch for any new form of art style to the death. But the game wrapped around it has to have some type of substance. I'm not sure what substance there is here. Atmosphere maybe, and while I really enjoy very atmospheric pieces, I'm not sure what else is so special about this game that puts it on a Braid level.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@neoepoch: It's kind of the same appeal of Bioshock. It's about discovering the world you've been dropped into. 

But then you stop discovering and nothing is answered and you just feel a whole lot of resentment at the end.
Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jadugarr

@Tsukiyomi, 
 There's a narrative. There is a very clear narrative to the game. It's not confusing whatsoever. 
 It's just broken in two halves, with very little to keep common with each other.

You're progressing through that strange, almost alien-like environment till you see the girl. The game shows you there is something different about her. She's bathed in light and acts completely unaggressive. When the world prevents you from getting near her, you assume your new goal is to come in contact with her. From that point on, the environment loses its subtle tale and you only have the one driving force. 

You can't say the first half of the narrative wasn't leading up to something that never continued through.

You can't say that the second half of the game wasn't solely about finding that girl. That's all there was.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yinstarrunner
@SpaceInsomniac:   Add me to the number of people who don't "get" it.  Braid was good, but not because of its pretentious story.  Portal was excellent, but not because of GLaDOS.  This is going to be hailed as "this year's braid", even though it does nothing but present a fairly standard platforming game in a pretentious style with vague narrative.  If the developers of this game didn't go out of their way to make the game appear artsy, I don't think it would be getting nearly as much praise as it has been.

It just goes to show how far presentation goes in swaying both reviewers and the common gamer.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpaceInsomniac said:
 Braid was the first game that ever treated time rewind as an ability to do more than rewind your own death.  Allowing you to rewind and fast-forward at will and without limits is a gameplay mechanic that had never been seen before.
What about Timeshift?
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @SpaceInsomniac said:
 Braid was the first game that ever treated time rewind as an ability to do more than rewind your own death.  Allowing you to rewind and fast-forward at will and without limits is a gameplay mechanic that had never been seen before.
What about Timeshift? "
Timeshift allows you to play for 20 minutes and then rewind EVERYTHING you've done up until that point?
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpaceInsomniac said:
" @TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @SpaceInsomniac said:
What about Timeshift? "
Timeshift allows you to play for 20 minutes and then rewind EVERYTHING you've done up until that point? "
Sorry missed that part, although Timeshift did have some sweet time manipulation.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Ok, people are trying way too hard to see something that isn't there in Limbo.

I loved it, but I hated that pretentious garbage that was Braid.

Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jadugarr

That said, you can skip through any "pretentiousness" that Braid had to offer, and you could still play a brilliant and wonderfully designed puzzle game.
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By voodooterror
@BionicMonster said:
" @CptBedlam: thanks for the spoiler tag .......jerk. "
its in brackets...IN THE THREAD TITLE
LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By LegalBagel

Agree with the OP entirely.  The puzzle platforming elements were nothing groundbreaking, and the developers took a cool, creepy sense of style and did absolutely nothing with it.  In the end it made the game feel very well-done, but very shallow.

The ending for me is the only interesting thing up for interpretation.  The entire rest of the game just felt like a few creepy setpieces to start and then a bunch of disjointed elements entirely designed to serve the game mechanics.  I kept waiting for it to develop things more, but it never happened.  There's no meat there for you to interpret why this world is the way it is, what the other children are doing and why they're trying to kill you, why you're going through these environments specifically or what they signify, or what any of the other creatures are all about. 

I ended up with a lot of questions raised over the course of the game, and there wasn't even an attempt to answer any of them.  And worse, I don't think the developers had any intended interpretation for the vast majority of the game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Raven10

I thought the puzzles were pretty clever. I mean they weren't on Braid level, but they were still devious at times. I enjoyed solving them and the gravity stuff was fun and difficult. I think the whole game looked great. The industrial area at the end wasn't as impressive as the first 2/3 of the game, but I still liked it. As for the story, (SPOILER) I think that you are to believe they are dead and forever going through Limbo over and over. The whole game is about finding your sister, so I don't see how the story changes. Personally I think the game is great. Not as good as Braid but still great.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I loved the art, the depth of all those silhouettes. But I also ended up being disappointed in the value. In as complex and interesting as the games puzzles are, it also doesn't give you nearly enough to justify the price in my opinion. Whether we admit it or not value is a part of the games we buy. For my own money, I would have preferred seeing two movies at random in a theater and watch somebody else play this game on the internet. I still love how the game looks. You can take a picture from any part of the game and it looks like it belongs in a darn frame.

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ashby
@Godzilla_Sushi:  
Yeah, in a sense, I have to agree and say I probably would have been just as satisfied watching this played through on the internet - the puzzles weren't difficult enough that I felt that sense of accomplishment upon figuring them out - but I still don't regret the purchase. It really is a beautiful game, and it looks much nicer on a big HDTV than on a little computer screen : )
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By FireBurger
@SpaceInsomniac: I agree. Having played it myself and then watching my brother play through it, you really can see it devolve from a charming, haunting, intriguing world into a cold, heartless puzzle game. I understand they may be trying to make some artsy commentary with the industrial levels and what not, but the game really loses its charm and intrigue about halfway through.

The first half has a beautifully haunting forest environment, organic puzzles, interesting creatures, intriguing encounters with other children, and very sudden, shocking, often hilarious deaths. However, as the game wears on, this devolves into lifeless block puzzles and gravity switches that typical online flash games already have in spades. It just loses its magic.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andorski

Agreed on the dependence on gravity manipulation.  In general, I lean towards puzzles where you find a logical path through the rules that that the puzzle confines you to rather than obstacles that require good reflexes.  That being said though, what the game does with gravity manipulation is pretty decent in my book.

Also, I think the OP's complaint that the whole game consist of "been there, done that" ideas is unecessary.  You can take apart any particular puzzle piece and trace it back to another game.  But does that take away from how well it was executed in this game?  Despite these puzzle mechanics being seen in games made prior, I think the general consensus is that the Limbo is sufficiently difficult.  Not to mention that when you look at Limbo as a whole, the game is quickly identifiable next the flood of downloadable titles.