PC performance issues.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Just bought it the other day and I am having really bad performance issues. Even on Medium settings with all other options turned off the game struggles to hit 60 and on some fights it dips below 30. I know the game Nvidia has all over it but Shadows of Mordor also has Nvidia behind it and the game runs smoothly on my machine. Is this a case where the developers just optimized it on Nvidia and gave AMD users the middle finger?

System Specs:

Intel i5 2500k

Windows 8.1 w/8gb ram

AMD Radeon R9 280x

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah I've seen all over that this game runs terrible on AMD.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: That's a damn shame. I was looking forward to playing this game. Looks like I'll have to put this game on the digital shelf until the developer gets its shit together.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@mordukai: This seems like it happens a lot with niche PC releases where there are issues at launch with either Nvidia or AMD cards. Thankfully both are pretty good about addressing stuff like this in driver updates, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long to play it.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

This is most likely an AMD driver issue. Like MB mentioned, sometimes games are whitheld from AMD/Nvidia (look at Tomb Raider last year) until release, this slows the driver releases down and is total bullshit.

From my experience, this game uses the CPU more than games in the past (A growing trend now that home consoles have 8-core CPU's). I can get a good 10fps from overclocking my 3770k. Your 2500k is a highly overclockable CPU and could be running at 4.3Ghz per core or faster; I suggest you go read up on OC'ing your CPU.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monetarydread: I have OC'ed it in the past but never really seen any major improvement gaming wise which is really the only thing I use this PC for. I topped it at 4.1Ghz. The thing that I really should upgrade my motherboard as it's not very well suited to overclocking to that degree. However, is I change motherboard might as well upgrade my cpu and so forth. I'll just wait until they release a better optimized driver.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a 2500k and R9 290 and it runs 60, silky smooth, PROVIDED that I do not have any video open in the background (like a GB HD video). I think it may be the directx hooks or something that this game has, or crappy drivers issues typical of AMD, but having a video just open (paused) causes my frames to dive to 30 in Lords of the Fallen.

It could just be that the 290 is just barely enough to keep 60 if nothing else is accessing vram, and the 280 isn't enough? All my settings are maxed.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By edgaras1103

In the .ini file somewhere there is a setting for physx that uses gpu or cpu, even on nvidia gpu's performance is bad. With the new patch or upcoming one they will let you disable psysx turbulence. Also the game uses new EXEcryptor protection system on this game and it eats performance because of the aditional cpu instruction cycles or something. Devs and nvidia said they are looking for performance fix new nvidia drivers Don't know about amd though

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

@screwdan said:

@edgaras1103 said:

In the .ini file somewhere there is a setting for physx that uses gpu or cpu, even on nvidia gpu's performance is bad. With the new patch or upcoming one they will let you disable psysx turbulence. Also the game uses new EXEcryptor protection system on this game and it eats performance because of the aditional cpu instruction cycles or something. Devs and nvidia said they are looking for performance fix new nvidia drivers Don't know about amd though

EXEcryptor doesn't cause performance issues. From the main site,

"In addition you do not have to worry about the size or speed of your program because you don't need to transform its entire code. You have to protect only critical parts of your code, responsible for serial number verification, trial expiration date, and other evaluation restrictions. The rest of application code remains intact and software execution speed remains the same."

StarFORCE mentioned the same thing about its service. Turns out they installed a program (unkown to anybody who did not read the fine print in the EULA) that scanned your computer for pirated games. I am not saying that EXEcryptor does the same, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Also, read up on the Sony BMG drm scanal of 2005, where the DRM would monitor your listening habbits and upload the data to Sony, the program was literally a rootkit installed at the OS level.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Yep I'm also having severe performance issues, at least the more beefy amd cards can kinda brute force through the poor optimization a bit, me I am running a variable 30-40 fps that constantly dips down into 20s in some areas, which completely screws with timing of attacks and blocks. And this is with most of the peripheral graphical options turned off including the physics bs.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It runs fine for me from a frames per second standpoint. My 980 may be brute forcing it though, and any poor performance just isn't readily apparent.

My issue is the crashing. Oh god, the crashing. I've beaten the first three bosses like three or four times each because the game crashes exactly as they're defeated, almost every time. It has also crashed several times outside of boss fights as well. And you can't relaunch the game immediately after the crash either. You either have to wait an unknown amount of time (I walked away and came back later), or reboot your computer first. That tells me there's a process that needs to be killed before the game will launch again, and it's not the executable itself, so what is it?

The combination of a checkpoint save system and the instability means I play in fear of the crash that could happen at any moment, taking any progress since the last checkpoint with it.

Other than that it's pretty awesome. Once they patch the crashing it will be well worth your time to check out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: I am glad people are enjoying it but personally I think the game is mid-tier at best. While the graphics are cool and very colorful, the levels themselves feel very bland and rather uninspiring.

NPC's have no real personality and just feel like a cardboard/personality type check mark.

I can't get into much details for spoiler reasons but the game just lacks the sense of self with trying to establish a fully realized world. I get that it's developers first time crack at this but then again I feel like they could have done better.

Don't get me wrong. Just because I think the game is mild at best doesn't mean that I don't want to see it sell well. I actually want it to sell good enough to warrant a second game and give the developers another shot at this.