#1 Posted by Benmo316 (556 posts) -

I'm just curious what you all are using in Mario Kart 8, the joystick or the d-pad? My first instinct was to use the d-pad (currently on the GamePad) but then I tried a race with the joystick and it just didn't feel right.

#2 Edited by brettchalupa (21 posts) -

I have been switching between both subconsciously as I play on the gamepad. Both feel okay!

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5482 posts) -

The stick didn't feel right to me so I was using the D-pad.

#4 Posted by noboners (110 posts) -

It had never even crossed my mind to use the dpad but now I'll give it a try when I get home.

#5 Edited by SweetCrys (32 posts) -

Joystick. you can also use the right joystick to 'go' and 'back' and also 'drift' I think.

#6 Posted by Quantris (350 posts) -

Why aren't you pansies using the wheel?

#7 Posted by wemibelec90 (1839 posts) -

My hands tend to gravitate towards the control option closest to exact opposite of the face buttons (when given an option), so I keep using the d-pad.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

STEEK.

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

My hands tend to gravitate towards the control option closest to exact opposite of the face buttons (when given an option), so I keep using the d-pad.

This is also the reason why I eventually started using the right stick as my acceleration button, because it was just more comfortable when I was using the left stick to steer.

#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (4984 posts) -

The stick. I usually use the stick for anything that is in 3D and reserve the D-pad for 2D movement. It just feels more natural to me, even if it's not the "pro" option.

#11 Posted by MEATBALL (3505 posts) -

The stick, I can't imagine using the d-pad. Ew.

#12 Posted by Benjo (80 posts) -

I still use the Wheel.

#13 Posted by SoupNBread (8 posts) -

Dpad all the way. Using the stick feels extremely unnatural to me, but that might be all the MKDS I played

#14 Edited by Benmo316 (556 posts) -

@quantris: The wheel is only welcome when you have multiple people sitting next to each other so you can over-exaggerate your turns and hit them.

#15 Posted by Spoonman671 (4777 posts) -

I didn't know using the d-pad in racing games was even a thing until one day when my brother happened to mention that he does it and apparently a lot of people like it.

I no longer consider him my brother.

#16 Posted by RioStarwind (578 posts) -

I've been switching between the dpad and the stick. I played through Super Mario Kart recently so that could be why I switch over to the dpad sometimes.