This game didn't age well

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By kaos_cracker

So while watching the latest Demo Derby, there was a trailer for Medal of Honor Frontline. This reminded me that I had a copy of the HD release they did that was on PS3, which came with the Medal of Honor reboot they did. Well, because of that, I decided to try it out, and I wish I didn't. I remember these games being pretty cool back in the day, seeing as how I only played through Airborne and European Assault, and most recently Warfighter.

But I don't recommend trying to go back to this game. It runs fine and all, but practically everything else seems bad. They hand animated everything so EVERYTHING looks super janky. It is kind of hard to tell when you kill someone because their animations just look weird, sometimes that look like they are dead then they just start shooting you. There is also the poor mission structure, where you must do all objectives, but you must find them yourself, and if you miss one you must back track through the whole level in order to finish. Granted, however, each mission is pretty short.

Anyone else play this when it came out and enjoyed it? I feel like it is way too late to go back to this game. I feel at the time it would've been great.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Pretty much all war shooters pre Call of Duty feel dated in the same way. Plus it's an earlier console shooter, which tend to be pretty basic and lifeless nowadays. Lots of enemies just standing there in the open waiting to be shot. Made more sense at the time.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I think the main reason I fondly remember that game is for the music

Still one of the top gaming soundtracks of all time, imho

davidmerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By davidmerrick

I had Frontline for the GameCube, probably the first war game I ever played. I remember being super psyched for it because Omaha Beach and Saving Private Ryan and all that, but that sense of scale was completely dropped following the first mission, effectively turning it into WWII-era GoldenEye. I disliked the later British missions in the first Call of Duty for the same reason. It would probably be nigh-unplayable if I ever came back to it.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hassun

I loved Frontline when it came out. And I think it is still a good game. I have no problem going back to it. Same for MoH1 and Underground.

Sure console fps controls have changed drastically but what they lack in that regard they make up for in atmosphere. The music in particular. Michael Giacchino is a great composer.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah so spoiled by modern shooters. I don't remember objective markers being a big deal back then.

I remember the game fondly for the awesome D-Day opening mission.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I played through it again last year and it's as great as it ever was.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Patchcoat

Yeah, if nothing else the soundtrack is timeless. The main theme alone is spectacular; it makes me want to start watching Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, and that's also a good thing.

Loading Video...

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I was really surprised that EA chose to remaster this instead of European Assault or even Rising Sun. Because it has never clicked with me back then.

slowhanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had Frontline for the GameCube, probably the first war game I ever played. I remember being super psyched for it because Omaha Beach and Saving Private Ryan and all that, but that sense of scale was completely dropped following the first mission, effectively turning it into WWII-era GoldenEye. I disliked the later British missions in the first Call of Duty for the same reason. It would probably be nigh-unplayable if I ever came back to it.

You nailed it. The game has an epic opening sequence, but that feeling of massive size is never reached again in the proceeding levels.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looking back at this game has made me wonder if it's time to visit World War 2 again.

Imagine that D-Day mission with today's hardware. Fuck.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I dunno I played it 1~2 years ago and had a lot of fun.

Still love Arnhem Knights to death.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I was really surprised that EA chose to remaster this instead of European Assault or even Rising Sun. Because it has never clicked with me back then.

I remember buying a three pack of Medal of Honor shooters for the PS2. Frontline was one of them and I thought it was downright bad, I don't remember what the second one was, but I do remember playing European Assault and I do remember thinking that it was a fairly good WWII shooter back then. This would have been in 2007 or 2008.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember loving Frontline when it came out. I'd never had a gaming PC, so the Medal of Honour games were really the first shooters I grew up with. Also, totally didn't know until now that Michael Giacchino did the score, would explain why is so good.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I remember getting it because it came out around my birthday. But here are some thoughts.

• It was in development around the same time as Halo but released half a year later. I dont think the things that Halo did for FPS on consoles would have come over.
  • Shooting guys was weird because there was no blood as I recall so it was hard to tell if you hit them.
  • i loved watching the making of videos they used to include in games. This one had them go over the research into the operations and the orchestral music.
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD 2 is probably the only WWII game I remember liking a lot

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patchcoat: Holy nostalgia bomb.

Yeah, I love this game when it came out. I'd probably still have fun with it today purely for nostalgic reasons. I can see why someone coming in fresh might be underwhelmed, but at the time I had a ton of fun with it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I had a much harder time going back to "Call of Duty Classic", which was re-released on PS3 about the same time as that Medal of Honor 2010 bundle. That said, I wasn't too fond of this either. The PS1 era MOH games are probably the ones that are still impressive for their time, I don't recall really having been wow'd by any of the PS2 era ones.

At that point I was more into Commandos, Hidden & Dangerous and that kind of stealth focused WWII games, and for my multiplayer fun I went to the Quake II mod D-Day: Normandy.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel old... I remember when it was new :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have good memories of that game and the first person D-Day landing. Urban combat in that French city. Some mission where I had to blow up a U-boat or I stowed away on a U-boat? I didn't finish it because games used to be hard. And shooters used to control terribly on consoles as a rule.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think anything pre-Halo is pretty rough to go back to.

I played some Republic Commando recently. Totally fine, control wise. It lacks the oomph you want these days, but it works just fine.

I want to say the 360 port of Perfect Dark 64 handles pretty okay, too. Far better than it should. I THINK I recall PD64 playing okay with the two controller scheme...

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#23 Ben_H  Online

I recently played MOH: Allied Assault, and it still mostly holds up, but it's a different beast than Frontline or any of the console WW2 shooters. It's bigger scale. It also happens to feel almost identical to Call of Duty, which makes sense given some 2015 folks went on to found Infinity Ward.

I played MOH: European Assault on Gamecube a couple years back and it was pretty rough. I remember having a ton of fun with the multiplayer back in the day though. I only ever rented Frontline and Pacific Assault. I remember Pacific Assault being ok, but with fun multiplayer. Frontline though, I remember not liking at all, especially after playing Allied Assault.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That doesn't surprise me at all. I can't imagine any old console shooters holding up these days after what Halo and COD did for the genre.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

A lot of console games age poorly...at least ones that require precision. I can play Final Fantasy games from the PS1 era for example. Also, this thread is 4 years old....