#1 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

So, I have received the game last week for review purpose, and I must say, if there's one thing that bothers me about this game is the weapon selection. Early in the game, you'll acquire the pole-arm. So, it basically replaces your ''heavy'' attack modifier with new attacks and all. It's great.

Problem is, when you get the Sai, there's literally only one move with it, which is basically a ''yanking'' move that allows you to reach your opponent quicker. Sure, it stuns your opponent, but that's it. I scratched my head, a bit confused, and kept on playing. I then unlocked the dual blades that combines into one giant scissor. And guess what? Three moves with it. None of them link with your light attacks like the pole-arm did.

So, really, none of these weapons, except the pole-arm, are even worth touching. Sure, you can upgrade their damage ( even the Sai ), but that's it. You can learn a new modifier or two, but no combos or anything.

#2 Edited by Demoskinos (15148 posts) -

@klei: Is there at least mid-combo weapon switching like a Devil May Cry? If so I could see being able to yank yourself to your enemy very useful in that context if you actually have to manually equip stuff then wow that seems really lame.

#3 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

Sounds like a real bummer.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I'm far more interested in where you got the Batman statue...

#5 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@klei: Is there at least mid-combo weapon switching like a Devil May Cry? If so I could see being able to yank yourself to your enemy very useful in that context if you actually have to manually equip stuff then wow that seems really lame.

Well, yeah, you can. The heavy attack is a modifier to diversify your combo, like, say, god of war. But you do have to manually equip your weapons in a menu like in the original MGS titles.

#6 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm far more interested in where you got the Batman statue...

I know, right? Dark Knight Returns edition!

#7 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I'm far more interested in learning how to get review copies...

#8 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

Become a reviewer? I review games for a french-canadian website.

#9 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@klei said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

Become a reviewer? I review games for a french-canadian website.

I already review games on the side for my friends website, I guess it's time I had a chat with him about requesting review copies.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

So you review for a French-Canadian site but they sent you a US copy? Does Canada have a game ratings board?

#11 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: The ESRB rating system serves both the US and Canada and as far as I know there's never been a difference between game copies released in the two countries other than probably a lot more games in Canada having both French and English text on the boxes.

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

So you review for a French-Canadian site but they sent you a US copy? Does Canada have a game ratings board?

Canada is part of North America which uses the ESRB.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I...I realize Canada is part of NA... Thanks. I just thought the ESRB was US-only.

#14 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

actually, with the Sai you can also use it to stun enemies and robots... its probally the best alt weapon in the game...

#15 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

From what you're describing it sounds like those extra weapons aren't meant to replace your primary weapon, but rather to give you more options for extending your combos; similar to how the guns in Bayonetta/DMC or the hook shots in the new DmC work?

#16 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

From what you're describing it sounds like those extra weapons aren't meant to replace your primary weapon, but rather to give you more options for extending your combos; similar to how the guns in Bayonetta/DMC or the hook shots in the new DmC work?

yeah, each of the extra weapons you get from beating bosses you can upgrade and at certain points choose which one to use, but you only use them (and the moves that you can do with them, which you unlock through the game) during heavy attack strings.

#17 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Exactly. But to be honest, why make the pole-arm a nearly-viable weapon if the others are just there to swap the effect of your heavy attack? Character action games usually give you new weapons to vary the gameplay, not just one-button modifiers. Oh well.

#18 Posted by baldgye (757 posts) -

I hope that if you're reviewing this game, that your aware of the move upgrades you buy, and that allows you to do more with those new weapons...

#19 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@baldgye said:

I hope that if you're reviewing this game, that your aware of the move upgrades you buy, and that allows you to do more with those new weapons...

There isn't a lot of moves for those weapons. The Sai has none to unlock. Sundown's swords only have two or three modifiers to unlock.

#20 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

Fun fact, but the weapon you unlock for beating Sundowner isn't technically the same as his High Frequency Machete, which you unlock by collecting enough items throughout the stages. There happen to be a decent number of unlockable weapons that it isn't immediately apparent how to get, but the ones you receive in the story mode definitely aren't all of them.

Edit: As it turned out, the High Frequency Machete you unlock isn't Sundonwer's, rather, it's the same as the ones many of the generic enemies are using. It's fun to mess with but nothing special. Upgrading Sundowner's pincer blade and buying the skills for it turns it into a weapon of mass destruction, however, so it kinda balances out. That thing is anything but a disappointment.

#21 Posted by cannonballBAM (609 posts) -

@klei: I love the batman black and white standee you have.

I think the game is a disappointment.

#22 Posted by DonutFever (3537 posts) -

I love the Pole-Arm and the Pincers. Once I learned how much damage the latter does when you hold down the Heavy Attack button, I never swapped it out. You can easily get the No Damage on Hard achievements for Mistral, Sundowner, and Sam with it. Totally overwhelms them.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

Across my Hard and Very Hard playthroughs I always stuck to Raiden's sword anywhoo. Always been curious to try them out, but I kept dumping my points in other aspects that I felt took priority so I haven't even purchased the ability to use any of them yet.

#24 Posted by rolanthas (256 posts) -

A little off-topic beforehand :: HOLY SHIT GIMME THAT B&W BATMAN! We only have the anime "special edition" one in the comic shops where I live.

Back to topic:

I find the pole-arm to be insanely OP against large groups, even on VH where 1 sec of Rippah! mode and a polearm AOE swing can block break and daze a dozen enemies at once. I try to avoid using it.

Sai is purely utility, but I agree that it should have way more in the way of an actual combat tool. Real Time Weapon Change (oh hai genji 2) would go a long way to encouraging its current use.

Pincer Blades are purely for dodge offsetting imho. Still I became so comfortable with my moves that I barely think of using it.