#1 Posted by theodacourt (535 posts) -

I remembered the other day some talk about the Codec sound being used as ringtone for a phone. I don't remember if it was in forums or a video or something but I decided I want it. I've been looking around and all the links I've found are to mega upload which has been shut down since. Does anyone have any of these files or know where I might find it? I could always make my own if you know of a short clean sample too!

#2 Edited by Kscorps (55 posts) -

I have a folder containing those files, let me get it uploaded for you.

This file has some other MGS2 sounds in it as well, enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?dj6f6bqb4k2184u

Does anyone know where I can find the lower-pitched codec call sound for when you get the important calls in MGS2? I want that one for my phone as well.

#3 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

Codec ringtone has got to be the most clichéd "herp derp im a gamur" identifier of all time.

#4 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

If you have a smartphone you can download the Zedge app, and you can probably get it from there. I don't have it on my hard drive or on my phone but I definitely do recall seeing it available via Zedge. The app is free and you can get a lot of different things from it for free as well. It's also completely legal but I only know it's on Android devices for sure. I'm pretty confident it's on iOS as well, at the absolute minimum. If nothing else worked couldn't you use one of those YouTube to MP3 sites and find the snippet? You could get it straight off YouTube that way I imagine, and it would be easier than hunting it down through Zedge since some people mistag their stuff on it. Zedge would make a good second possibility, though.

#5 Posted by Sweep (8859 posts) -

Not to be an elitist cunt or anything but, if you combine the codec ringtone with the "Brmp!?" noise that the guards make when they spot you, you are officially every hipster douchbag who doesn't play videogames.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

I wouldn't worry about what some randoms think about your ringtone choice. Use those tones if you like them :D

#7 Posted by korkesh (133 posts) -

I usually just set my ringtone to whatever is already on the phone since I don't get called much, but I did set my text message ringtone to the sonic ring noise which I find works really well.

#8 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1052 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Not to be an elitist cunt or anything but, if you combine the codec ringtone with the "Brmp!?" noise that the guards make when they spot you, you are officially every hipster douchbag who doesn't play videogames.

I hate it when people use the "!" sound. not because the hipster thing, but because the few seconds when i immediately freak out, and then imminently remember im not playing MGS.

#9 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

@Sweep said:

You read it here first guys: Sweep is an elitist cunt.

#10 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
#11 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Don't listen to these haters I use gaming cliches as my ringtone and end up buried in nerd gamer grrrrl trim everywhere I go.

lol jk I set my phone to vibrate in public because I'm not a nuisance.

#12 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Sweep said:

You were anyway as you have mod under your name. And insulting people and using the C word come on dude.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14829 posts) -

I'm still rocking the saints row 3 ringtone and wallpaper. Honestly need to find something new.

#14 Posted by Trace (3555 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

I wouldn't worry about what some randoms think about your ringtone choice. Use those tones if you like them :D

As someone who uses the codec sound for his ringtone and the Persona 4 rank up sound for texts/alerts, I approve of this answer.

Use what you like, and bonus points for sticking to a ringing sound for your ringtone rather than using music.

#15 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Why does anyone think they are above someone else because they choose not to use a cool ringtone? Seems a bit hypocritical. Anyhow, I just set my text Deckare Cain saying "Stay a while, and listen." Does that make me a hipster now, to?

#16 Posted by csl316 (8669 posts) -

Been using it for years, but not uploaded anywhere. I don't see what the deal is. Most people don't give it a second thought and my friends don't care. It's mostly on vibrate, anyway. It's a nice, unobtrusive ringtone that's far less annoying than obnoxious musical cues.

#17 Posted by theodacourt (535 posts) -

@Kscorps: Thanks for the files! and thanks everyone for other suggestions too.

To people deciding whether it is cool or uncool for someone else to have a specific ringtone, grow up. Cool is such a terrible concept anyway when you think about it, deciding whether all minor, trivial things are socially acceptable by a subset group of westernised civilisation. To simplify it down "oh look, John is wearing a red shirt, lets socially chide him for his choice which we have arbitrarily decided is a poor one." Sounds stupid, right?

Also, I've never known anyone to use the codec thing as a ringtone personally so it isn't overplayed in my social circles. Maybe you just hang out with these 'hipsters' too much. I'm not someone who gets called all the time anyway and when you look at the sound objectively, it's a damned fine ringtone. Also, the ringtone is for me, not for others.

#18 Posted by BoG (5190 posts) -

I support this decision, in spite of what the haters say. I used the codec beep on my first cell phone in high school, and it was so cool.

I'm almost certain that Mario sound effects are more common, too.

#19 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (353 posts) -

The "Toasty" sound effect from Mortal Kombat makes a really good text message sound, just sayin'.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Ingot the MGS codec. I got the beginning to the Snake Man theme. I got Barry Burton saying "oh my COD!"

My mother's text tone is Sinistar screaming RUN RUN RUN

#21 Posted by coaxmetal (1619 posts) -

every nerd and his brother has these sound effects, use something originaler for your ringtone, or just use a default noise.

#22 Posted by CannonGoose (373 posts) -

I'm using the one from MGS3 as my message tone because it's a short sound clip that I enjoy hearing. I've also got Guile's Theme as my ring tone because I like hearing it.

Wow, I sure am a giant hipster. Yup.

#23 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

I've been using the codec as my ring tone for so long and on so many phones I no longer even associate it with MGS. It's just the sound my phone makes when someone calls me.

#24 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Okay. : (

#25 Posted by ProfessorK (824 posts) -

Ya know, I wish I lived where you guys that say certain video game ringtones are over heard. In all the years since cellphone ringtones have been around, I have never heard anyone other than close friends with video game ringtones in NYC. And just about everyone here all the time has their phones blaring so you can heard their bad pop/rap ringtone.

#26 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I hear the everywhere and it give me a heart attack every time. However, I have an even better one: The gunshot noise from the menu. That gives EVERYBODY a heart attack every time.

#27 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Don't be like my brother.

#28 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I actually have that ringtone, I just found a mp3 file with it and changed the format in iTunes. I don't really consider myself a hipster douche bag, not even really sure what a "hipster" is, I just like Metal Gear Solid and wanted to change the standard ringtone.

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

Codec ringtone has got to be the most clichéd "herp derp im a gamur" identifier of all time.

Those are Zelda noises, actually.