• 76 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Favorite Metal Gear Game? (179 votes)

Metal Gear 1%
Metal Gear 2 3%
Metal Gear Solid 17%
Metal Gear Solid 2 13%
Metal Gear Solid 3 45%
Portable Ops 0%
Metal Gear Solid 4 13%
Peace Walker 3%
Metal Gear Rising 6%

Since there's often more than one version of many Metal Gear interation, please specify which one, if necessary.

• 
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Seppli

Peace Walker. It marks a new beginning for me. The franchise is growing on me again thanks to it. I once held it dear. MGS1 was a great experience in its time, unforgetable really. I've since soured on the franchise. MGS2 was an utter disappointment - talk about bait and switch. Vanilla MGS3 was too obtuse and clumsy for its time. By the time MGS4 came around, I hated Metal Gear's guts.

I think things are looking up for the relationship between me and Metal Gear. For the first time in a long while I'm looking forward to a Metal Gear game again. I think I can get on with MGS5. I'm down with its brand of stupid. I'm really enjoying Peace Walker on my Vita. I guess I'll soon have to pick up Metal Gear Rising too, since I dug the demo a lot.

P.S. Sorry for not including the Metal Gear Acid games.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pr1mus

Uhhhhh, 3?

Probably 3.

Yeah 3, followed by MGS 1 and MGS 2. Or maybe 2 and 1?

Really didn't care for MGS 4 at all and didn't play much of Peace Walker so i can't judge that one. Never played the first 2 or portable ops.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I really, really liked 3. It felt way more open and the camouflage system made the game feel more sneaky. Or something. The story was just the right amount of crazy, too.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohhhh jeeze this is difficult. 2 is my least favorite for sure. Urgh, this is hard. My gut says Peace Walker because it has the best GAME part of the series, but...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence if we're getting into specifics. Though I was only able to play that version via the HD collection years after the original, the added camera control was still a noticeable improvement.

Anywhoo, MGS3... best setting, best boss battles, best story, best Snake, best set of systems -- What a Thrill!

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 is faaaantastic, but I think 4 has really good gameplay as well. I think more games need the option to shoot from the ground, especially when you get knocked down.

ARGH I CANT DECIDE

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Tough call. The only ones I've played through for any real length are MGS1-4. I enjoyed MGS3, but the esoteric nature of The End battle wore on me after a while. (I seriously couldn't beat him without just waiting the clock out.) MGS4 is an amazing experience, but also tries to close off way too many plotholes with nanomachines. Though the entire return to Shadow Moses was spectacular and an amazing callback to MGS. Also, you get to pilot REX. Fuck yes.

I actually liked MGS2 when I played it (well after the surprises were revealed), but I my experience with the original MGS is through Twin Snakes, which I also really liked a lot. So...uh...

We'll call it a draw.
We'll call it a draw.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artelinarose
STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By STUVNING

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation), because it was my first foray into the series. Wouldn't say it's the best though.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pezen

I'm picking the original Metal Gear Solid. It brought a new world of innovative ideas to games in a way I never saw before. And and while some of them were breaking the fourth wall and a bit gimmicky, it was still interesting to realize games could do more than just be played. The memory card read for Konami games, the switching of controllers, the "don't use turbo or I'll know" stuff. On top of that, you had a game with a story that, at the time, I really connected with. Some of the things Snake said resonated with me pretty deeply, and it was one of the first games to make me really emotionally bond with it's characters.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2 or 4. I played through 2 about a billion times and the last time I played it in its entirety was a week or so before 4 came out and it was still a really satisfying experience with some of my favourite moments in the series like the introduction of Solidus and the Russians taking over the tanker at the beginning. It also has some of the most memorable music in the entire series.

4 felt complete. I punched the air when I beat Ocelot at the end, and the Ray vs Rex/ Shadow Moses sequence was probably the best fanservicey moment I have ever encountered in any game. I thought it started weak, but just escalated into this utterly insane stream of nonsense and nanomachines...

That Meryl gunfight...and the microwave... and that insanely long cutscene with the boats... and a smoking monkey...

fuck it, MGS4 is the best one.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 & 3

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 & 3

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, definitely Snake Eater (3). I think it epitomized the way that series tells stories and really did it the best of all the ones I have played. Such a great game and so many really cool design choices.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Sons of Liberty, because Ocelot's actually pretty cool in this one.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

2 is my least favorite for sure.

That is the opposite of the correct opinion

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

2 is my least favorite for sure.

That is the opposite of the correct opinion

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By BoOzak

The lack of love for 2 is saddening. Yes Raiden is kind of a crappy character born of Hideo Kojima's anime infused fever dreams, but the leap between 1&2 was far greater than any of the other games. And the stealth still felt like Metal Gear. MGS3&4 both felt more like Splinter Cell games. Granted you couldnt run and gun in the earlier SC games and get away with it. But the emphasis on (camo/light) meters and creeping around changed the flow a lot. I'm not saying it's worse, I actually love Splinter Cell (old & new) but Metal Gear used to be a lot more about evading patrol routes and misdirecting your enemy, than stalking and eliminating them.

As for the story I know i'm in the minority (around here anyway) but I actually enjoy Kojima's lunacy. It kind of reminds me of JJ Abrams' TV shows, where it just throws in a bunch of interesting and crazy story elements and adds some cool (sometimes annoying) characters. But when it comes to explaining the story everything falls flat. Which sucks, but as long as the ride's enjoyable it's hard to criticise. MGS3, to me, just didnt feel crazy enough. It had it's moments, the Cobra Unit definitely helped, but it just felt like it was going through the motions. Thankfully MGS5 looks like the best of both worlds. Despite the fact that it's continuing to imitate Splinter Cell. (from a gameplay perspective)

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By jasonefmonk

I've played MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4. I really like them all, the kind of crazy this franchise is about works for me. MGS3 has the best story, MGS4 the best mechanics. What I played of Peace Walker really bothered me; if I can't go prone what the hell am I doing.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I love how Metal Gear Solid 2 is just a giant, upraised middle finger in the form of a game, but I come from the perspective of having played it years later. I can see why someone who played it in 2001 would hate it, given its constant, gleeful misdirection of the player that starts as soon as you realize that Raiden is the main character. And also that one underwater sequence. That part is quite bad.

MGS3 is sane by comparison, and the main villain of that game is a gay russian colonel who shoots out lightning for no real reason and at one point you can win a boss fight by moving your system clock up a few days. That's how batshit insane Metal Gear Solid 2 is.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS will always have a special place in my heart, but I think overall nothing has ever beaten MGS3 as my favourite... yet.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS will always have a special place in my heart, but I think overall nothing has ever beaten MGS3 as my favourite... yet.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Also, what the Shit, where's the love for Metal Gear Solid Special Missions?!.. OK, I'm only half-joking as I really liked Special Missions, and it can still be a lot of fun to this day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably the only person that will have this opinion but I LOVE PEACE WALKER.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably the only person that will have this opinion but I LOVE PEACE WALKER.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought 2 was the best. Sure, it was ridiculous, but in such an endearing way (IMO). One of my favorite gaming moments of all time is when the colonel calls you and tells you to turn the ps2 off. It was the realest shit ever to my 10 year old brain

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While MGS1 and MGS3 are the best in the series, MGS 2 is my favorite because of how wonderfully that game tricked its players and how it used that trick to tell its story and comment on the very people playing it. It is a level of insanity that Kojima has yet to top.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Vextroid

Metal Gear Solid will always be my favourite Metal Gear game ever.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MGS1 still has yet to be topped for me.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By moonwalksa

Every game from MGS 1 through 3 was excellent, and I think that 3 is probably the best in the series, but my personal favorite will probably always be 2. It's just too endearing in its wholehearted fuckery.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MGS1

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MGS1

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 is the best MG. It introduced many concepts that are now standard in MG, such as food, camo, CQC, blah blah. It is the first in the series so it is the only game that really does sort of stand alone, chronologically nothing happened before it so if you know none of the history you aren't missing anything. Lastly it had the best boss fights... fighting The End is still one of the most memorable boss encounters for me of any game... forget about that awesome climactic fight against the Boss or any number of other great fights. Also I love Snake but there is something about Big Boss that makes him a little more interesting... I guess it is the idea that Snake was created to be what he was but Big Boss was just a guy who turned into this hardened soldier from his own choices and experience. He wasn't born to be a bad ass, he just was.

MGS3 is just that one game that encapsulates everything MGS is supposed to be about and packages it better than every other game in the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I got the HD remakes. 3 had an awesome intro. The camera was in the right spot and then as soon as you get over to the enemies it starts changing to awkward angles. The camera angles are so bad it is basically unplayable for me personally (obviously not for everyone). I liked Peacewalker though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I got the HD remakes. 3 had an awesome intro. The camera was in the right spot and then as soon as you get over to the enemies it starts changing to awkward angles. The camera angles are so bad it is basically unplayable for me personally (obviously not for everyone). I liked Peacewalker though.

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 without a doubt, and it only got better when subsistence added a better camera. Though I have to give an honorable mention to 1 (got me back into gaming after dropping it post SMB3) and Peacewalker (MH + MGS = Incredible).

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Silver-Streak

1 and 4 are pretty close in my book. Although I think 4 beats out the others only because of the crazy radiation crawl scene and the awesome Ocelot fisticuffs at the end.

2 and 3 are both great in their own ways, but I still enjoy 1 and 4 more.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snake's Revenge for the NES.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to choose between MGS1 and MGS3, but I think MGS1 takes the #1 spot.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I voted for Metal Gear Rising because it is an amazing action game with GREAT boss fights. The metal gear parts of it are alright, but it would have been fine as a non-metal gear game. It really helps that the story is not mainline metal gear. Still super dumb though.

I always liked Peace Walker. They took some hardware limitations and made a fantastic portable stealth & tactics game with just a metric ton of other cool mini-gameplay features: base building, upgrading, "recruiting", decent co-op

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS1, but specifically Twin Snakes. That was my first MG game IIRC.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Quarters

MGS4, easily. Has the best story, and the best character stuff in it. Plus, it looks great, has some of the best(if not the best) action scenes of the entire series, has great acting/music...it's just the best, all around.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS4, easily. Has the best story, and the best character stuff in it. Plus, it looks great, has some of the best(if not the best) action scenes of the entire series, has great acting/music...it's just the best, all around.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna stick with MGS1. I feel that most people will pick the others because they did not play MGS1 when it came out and that detail right there makes a huge difference on how you look at that game. Sure, the others have better tuned mechanics, crazier cut scenes and story and flat out a whole lot more impressive but it was MGS1 that made all that shit possible. This game was fucking INSANE and unheard of when it first came out.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2. It had the most meaningful story and some really interesting and complex themes on a level that few, if any, video games have been able to address since.

It was a hard choice though, because I love Peace Walker and 3 almost as much. All three are the best games IMO. MGS1 is very good, and MGS4 stinks.