• 76 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Seppli

Poll Favorite Metal Gear Game? (179 votes)

Metal Gear 1%
Metal Gear 2 3%
Metal Gear Solid 17%
Metal Gear Solid 2 13%
Metal Gear Solid 3 45%
Portable Ops 0%
Metal Gear Solid 4 13%
Peace Walker 3%
Metal Gear Rising 6%

Since there's often more than one version of many Metal Gear interation, please specify which one, if necessary.

• 
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Baillie

@grixxel said:

I'm gonna stick with MGS1. I feel that most people will pick the others because they did not play MGS1 when it came out and that detail right there makes a huge difference on how you look at that game. Sure, the others have better tuned mechanics, crazier cut scenes and story and flat out a whole lot more impressive but it was MGS1 that made all that shit possible. This game was fucking INSANE and unheard of when it first came out.

I agree completely with what you said but I still think MGS3 is by far the best game in the series, it's actually my favourite game of all time.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a fight between snake eater and 4 but MGS4 wins in the end.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS2, for me. It packed a lot of surprisingly emotional stuff. But then I've only actually completed 1 (the PSX original and Twin Snakes) and 2, so my opinion doesn't really count for much.

I skipped out on Snake Eater when it first came out. I've tried to play it a few times in recent years, but it's incredibly hard for me to get into. Just the way classic MGS games play doesn't click with me in the way it used to.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By emfromthesea

I think Snake Eater has the best story, but 4's amount of nostalgic fanservice meant that I enjoyed it just a little bit more.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Snake Eater has the best story, but 4's amount of nostalgic fanservice meant that I enjoyed it just a little bit more.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS1.

donfonzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS1.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've only played through Metal Gear (NES) and Metal Gear Solid (PS) and I have to go with MGS; it truly changed the gaming landscape. The NES game was revolutionary in some ways and completely broken in others (Jungle maze, anyone?).

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 2 is my favourite. I think it was in a perverse way the most focused of the games, it had a defined, concrete story (however batshit insane it was) it wanted to tell and definite themes it wanted to explore. The characterisation of the Patriots (which I really enjoyed) is a standout for me, and was much better than in 4. It also moved the story along at a reasonably good clip, and is probably the best paced game. At the end of the day did its very best to be its own game, considering it had to be a MGS game. In many ways it is the anti-MGS4; which is basically tying up loose ends the game and I still can't get my head around that god-awful zero analogy at the end. I don't think it had as much of a unique voice as the other games.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All 4 Solids are the best for their own different reasons. 3 is probably the best overall package. 2 is the most fuckin ridiculous. 4 is the best film. And 1 is the best nostalgia.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By AlexW00d

All 4 Solids are the best for their own different reasons. 3 is probably the best overall package. 2 is the most fuckin ridiculous. 4 is the best film. And 1 is the best nostalgia.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Can't decide between 2 and 3.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

MGS1 is my favourite for having the full package, while each MGS has different positives, MGS1 had what they all had.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#66  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Boy, that's rough. I liked the first Metal Gear Solid for its characters and overall story (before things got so damned convoluted in 2 & 3). Playing through 2 with a college friend was definitely the best time I had with a MGS game, though now, I think I'd say MGS 3 is my favorite due to the awesome gameplay and the neat boss battles. I wish some of the elements from the handheld games saw some kind of modernization, particularly the soldier recruitment and base building. But yeah, overall, I'd say MGS3.

seveword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 is top of the line. Funnily enough, after doing a mental inventory I've realized that the only Metal Gear Solid game I've never played is...Metal Gear Solid.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS2.

I actively dislike 3 for cluttering up the game with too many systems (food, camo, surgery, CQC) that diverted way too far from the original hide-and-seek basics of MGS1 and the original game. I respect 4 for being a glorious trainwreck as Kojima frantically tries to finish up all the loose ends in the serie's convoluted plot. I prefer MGS2 to 1 because I felt Kojima had grown just enough as a designer to take better advantages of the PS2 than with the PS1 and as a writer hadn't yet into the madness that was MGS3 and 4.

And: MGS2 should have been the end of the entire series.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By Sooty

Metal Gear Solid or Twin Snakes were the best for me. I liked MGS3 but didn't think the camo system was very good, and I thought 4 was a massive disappointment.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MSG; Twin Snakes, the GC remake and Rising are my favs.

MGS3 is rg best though.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, That game came in as a big surprise and it took a lot out of me. At first I wasn't sure about the controls, it was one those "CRAP! I got spotted, I'm gonna retry and load up another save." Until a point where everything clicked around the point before the end, where I understood how to sneak behind guards with the D Pad, interrogate, find a cool code on the codec to cancel the patrol and then just make everything easier on me. It was a lot like Dark Souls, and I felt all the more greater for experiencing it..... like seriously the Boss fight, having to feel the rumble at the exact moment, that was brutal.

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#72  Edited By Jagged85

Metal Gear Solid 2. While a divisive game, it still remains one of the best video games I've ever played.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Sons of Liberty, because Ocelot's actually pretty cool in this one.

Having played Guns of the Patriots, I can still stand by this opinion.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I played through MGS2 so many times, and I can't forget how much time I spent on the VR missions in the Substance version. Those were really great and seems like they didn't grab a lot of fans.

MGS3 arguably had the best story though.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like MGS2 *a lot*

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only ones I've actually played to completion are 4 & Rising. I picked 4. 1, 2 & 3 I just watched the "movie" versions of, by that I mean all of the cutscenes strung together into one big long video file I torrented a long time ago. I actually want to go back and play them all but now that I know the story I don't see much point, maybe I should just get Peace Walker, haven't spoiled that one yet, but I think it's more of a side story?

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By clutch414

The original MGS. It's the game that brought gaming back as a regular hobby for me after not really paying attention to games during my late teenage years (mid-to-late 90s).

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#78  Edited By Sin4profit

Damn right, 3.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta go with 3. It's closely followed by 1.

They're the most grounded in reality, and believable. Well i mean you could accept it for the most part. sexy sniper lady who likes dogs, thats actually completely believable. Big crazy shaman dude with a minigun? Sure! why not. a gunslinger? sure!. i mean yeah in three it got a bit wacky....i mean there was a guy who's super power was BEEEEEEEEEEEES. but the story and characters felt so much better. It was fantastic.

2 and 4....ugh, so convoluted and stupid. Just complexity for the sake of being complex. you got a fat guy on roller blades, school girls, a vampire guy who's apparently allergic to wearing shirts, NANOMACHINESSSSS. it's just so silly and dumb. I totally understand why people might like these ones more, but boy...the dumbness to me just wasn't the right flavor, and i can appreciate dumb. It's just so god damn hard to take an extremely self serious story seriously when it's making you fight a fat dude on roller blades...Also, raiden sucks.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SpaceRunaway

3 Subsistence. I really do love all the games though. Portable Ops was the only one I never really got super excited about, and even then I didn't mind playing it, at least once I remapped the controls.

Edit: Oh wait Rising is on that list. Probably not Rising.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I think I had the most fun with Metal Gear Rising to be honest. My second pick would have to be Metal Gear Solid 3 or 4. Hard choice.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Rising is by far the best. Got the profound stupidity and nanomachines, son! moments you expect from a kojipro game but it actually plays like how a good video game plays because Platinum stepped in and saved the project when it became clear Kojima's team couldn't do action gameplay.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

4>2>1>3