Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What boss fight in the mainline Metal Gear Solid series is your favorite? (137 votes)

Revolver Ocelot (MGS1) 1%
Revolver Ocelot (MGS3) 1%
Liquid Ocelot (MGS4) 17%
Sniper Wolf 4%
Psycho Mantis 22%
Vulcan Raven 1%
Cyborg Ninja 3%
Metal Gear Rex 1%
Liquid Snake 0%
The End 22%
The Fury 1%
The Fear 1%
The Pain 0%
The Sorrow 3%
The Boss 9%
Volgin 0%
Vamp (MGS2) 0%
Vamp (MGS4) 1%
Metal Gear Ray 2%
Solidus Snake 0%
Fatman 1%
Olga 1%
Laughing Octopus 1%
Raging Raven 1%
Crying Wolf 1%
Screaming Mantis 0%
Rex vs Ray (MGS4) 6%

So as a few of you know I've dubbed march Metal Gear March and I've been playing through all the games in the series in order one by one. So I was just wondering what was everyone's favorite fights? Hopefully I've included all of the choices people would want. For me I think it still has to be Psycho mantis. Just a great fight overall. I mean who didn't love him reading your memory card or having to use the 2nd control port? Its a wonderful fight and the best of the series in my mind. The End is pretty good too though. Just beat him a few minutes ago in my run through MGS3 here and man that was great. Stalking him through the forest was a ton of fun. Especially sneaking up on him and holding him up!

The most emotional fight by far is the Liquid Ocelot fight in MGS4. The way the HUD changes from Metal Gear Solid - MGS 4 the way Liquid and Snake cling to each other really throwing everything in to every punch. That was a fantastic spectacle. So what is yours?

#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Psycho Mantis was so creative for the time. It remains one of the high point of the series for me.

Runners-up: The Sorrow, The End, Liquid Ocelot and finally Rex vs Ray for the pure fan service it provides.

#2 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Psycho Mantis for its sheer memorability. I know it's probably far from being even a good boss fight but it's so damn memorable.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Psycho Mantis and The Sorrow are both great.

#4 Edited by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Looking at that list brings back memories. With the exception of Psycho Mantis, MGS3 as by far the best designed boss encounters in the whole series. MSG2 is the weakest for me, MSG1 was solid (see what i did there?) and MGS4 just felt boring by that point. Rex vs Ray and Liquid Ocelot are extremely memorable but not because of the gameplay. Every other fights i barely remember anything about them.

#5 Posted by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

liquid ocelot fight in mgs 4, and the boss vs naked snake in mgs 3 were the 2 biggest ones for me.

that liquid ocelot fight was straight up poetic, and then that the boss vs naked snake fight was just tragic due to story reasons.

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -
@mrfluke said:

liquid ocelot fight in mgs 4, and the boss vs naked snake in mgs 3 were the 2 biggest ones for me.

that liquid ocelot fight was straight up poetic, and then that the boss vs naked snake fight was just tragic due to story reasons.

The way the fight between Naked Snake and the Boss ends and them forcing you to pull the trigger remains to this day the first and last time i was truly shaken by a game.

#7 Posted by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
@mrfluke said:

The way the fight between Naked Snake and the Boss ends and them forcing you to pull the trigger remains to this day the first and last time i was truly shaken by a game.

just that whole character story between the 2 of them in that game from beginning to end, sooo fucked up

#8 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The Boss in MGS3 has no equal.

#9 Edited by AkihikoSenpai (32 posts) -

Cyborg Ninja, took me about an hour initially, and then I was killed when he exploded. By the time I beat him I was so in the zone that I have beat it first time on every subsequent playthrough.

The Rays in MGS2 were a similar experience.

#10 Posted by mrfluke (5046 posts) -

fucking hell, say what you will about mgs4 but this was an incredible fight,

i think this is one of the best boss battles this gen,i thought the gameplay was interactive enough to where it was satisfying enough

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (4994 posts) -

There's so many standouts I really can't choose. But if there was a single fight that summed up everything dumb/incredible about the bosses in Metal Gear it would have to be Liquid Ocelot... No, Rex vs Ray... No... Psycho Mantis... Fuck this question.

#12 Posted by audioBusting (1460 posts) -

The End and The Boss are my most favorite (voted for The End), but I haven't fought any bosses in MGS4 yet.

#13 Posted by wwfundertaker (1395 posts) -

Hind D was one of the best boss fights in MGS, the dialogue leading up to the battle and after was brilliant.

#14 Edited by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

While the idea of Psycho Mantis reading your mind is pretty awesome, for a boss battle I'd have to go with The End. I love that it wasn't a simple aim at boss and shoot. It had a real cat and mouse dynamic going on and then tension was just so high. Nothing stands up to it.

#15 Posted by yippykayay (13 posts) -

Psycho Mantis for me. I like the concept that they made so that I could defeat him and I remember hearing him scream "why can't I read your mind?".

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
#17 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

You can't beat that final fist fight on top of Outer Haven.

#18 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

Surprised that The Boss isn't higher.

#19 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The ladder:

#20 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1829 posts) -

This is a bullshit question that nobody can answer with certainty and you know it.

#21 Posted by Quarters (1623 posts) -

The Liquid Ocelot fight is my one of my favorite boss battles, period. Easily the best of the group. It's the perfect example of how to an intimate, intense, final fight.

#22 Edited by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Lots of great ones but the Liquid Ocelot fight was so emotional and a perfect combination of watching and playing a game it can't be beat.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (35797 posts) -

The End and The Fury are some of the best I can recall, mainly because they play so well into the game's stealthy strengths.

#24 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Metal Gear Ray on Extreme difficulty

Also, you forgot the Hind D and Harrier

#25 Posted by Hailinel (23674 posts) -

The Rex vs. Ray fight in MGS4. Holy shit.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (4862 posts) -

Rex vs Ray was fucking amazing moment, probably my favorite.

It would have been Psycho Mantis but that was ruined by playing the game 12 years later so it just wasn't the same experience

#27 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Voted Sniper Wolf.

#28 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

I'm sorry I tried to pick but I just couldn't. Should have been a check box poll. List reminds me oh just how much more memorable this series is than so, so many games I've played.

#29 Posted by paulwade1984 (477 posts) -

Im the guy who voted raging raven. I thought that fight was epic.

#30 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (255 posts) -

@paulwade1984 said:

Im the guy who voted raging raven. I thought that fight was epic.

Most of the B&B fights themselves were pretty fun in general, it's the way they treated the actual characters that I didn't care for.

#31 Posted by Rokkaku (221 posts) -

This just proves how great MGS is and how much Kojima has done for the industry by making games, and not anime. So many great memories, to many to choose from, is a sign of a quality series, and the MGS naysayers can be damned, the world would be the poorer without the franchise. I voted for Psycho before I remembered Big Boss vs The Boss, and then I changed my mind again to MGS4 Snake vs Liquid. And you forgot to include Fortune from MGS2, how could you?!

#32 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

vamp! so dumb! my god the cut scenes .. so anime.

#33 Posted by FLStyle (4511 posts) -

@ravenlight: Hilarious!

I voted for Psycho Mantis, it was the moment when I was on-board for any future MGS releases.

#34 Posted by UltimAXE (365 posts) -

I'm weird and think that The Fury from MGS3 might be my favorite fight and I don't know why. There's nothing particularly interesting about it. It's probably the music.

Crying Wolf is a similar situation. Boss mechanics aren't super interesting and are actually pretty goddamn annoying, but the music is rad.

#35 Edited by Azteck (7450 posts) -

From a gameplay perspective, probably Psycho Mantis, but The End is by far the coolest boss fight in the series to me.

#36 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (529 posts) -

That's tough. The Boss and Liquid Ocelot were good. I'll have to go with The End though.

#37 Edited by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

The End because you could set your PS2's system date and time forward and find him dead from old age.

Reading this thread reminds me, holy shit, MGS3 is so fucking amazing.

#38 Posted by handlas (2636 posts) -

Always liked the Fury. Spaceman rocketing into a fireball of death. MGS3 is so great. Trying to go back and play it, though, is hard. The camo stuff is far more annoying than I remembered.

#39 Posted by RazielCuts (2906 posts) -
#40 Edited by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

@ultimaxe: I dunno having recently played MGS 4 I think that fight is neat. Having a sniper battle in the middle of a blizzard where you can't even see? Pretty cool.

#41 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

Psycho Mantis not even a question

#42 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2944 posts) -

Thought the sniper battle in MGS3 was probably my favorite even after finding out about all the easter eggs on how to fight the guy. But that last confrontation with Liquid Ocelot at the end where you had to remember the different hand to hand combat from the previous games was pretty f'in awesome.