Is MGS V: Ground Zeros worth $18?

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I see PlayStation Plus has it on sale as part of their E3 sale.

I know it got knocked because of its length compared to its initial price, but how is actual game-play?

I would really want to get 4 - 5 hours out of it, by doing the main mission line and a couple of optional missions, is that an reasonable expectation? I don't care to ever 100% games or chase achievements.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The PS4 version is. 4-5 hours is maybe stretching it if you only do the side missions once, they're not as long as the main one.

The part where it's a game is fantastic. Mechanically, I'd say it's my favorite stealth game...It's just hella short.

You might be better off waiting until closer to Phantom Pain, it'll probably go more on sale by then.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally worth it; after you beat the main game you get a rocket launcher which is fun to fuck around with.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you want to complete all the missions the "correct" way (actually stealthy), you will definitely get more than 4-5 hours out of it. If you just run and gun you could complete the entire game in 2 hours, but you would get a terrible rank.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BurBan_Snake

yes

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it is worth $70 if it also comes with Phantom Pain.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yes it is!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it is worth $70 if it also comes with Phantom Pain.

Spoilers: it doesn't.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I think it is worth it just from what I hear, but I don't really want to get excited for PP by playing it then realizing I hope a year plus before I even get to play the "real" game. So I'm waiting only to play it closer to PP's actual release.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

Definitely at $20. Keep in mind it isn't very long but is supposed to be replayed a lot.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it. It's just one level that a normal person would beat in 30 to 45 mins. I know there are MGS fanboys that have played it for hours, but doing the boring side quests and walking every inch of the level isn't fun or normal. Its value does not surpass Limbo, Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, etc. It's one level from a game. The gameplay wasn't bad, but Splinter Cell: Blacklist is miles ahead of it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I paid $30 for it and got about 12 hours out of the game if length is an issue for you.

As a Metal Gear fan, get it. It's excellent.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By RawknRo11a

The value of this game is heavily dependent on your interest and fan-level of the Metal Gear Solid series. If you are way into MGS, then $18 is not a bad price at all.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it, but I can say that it's easily one of the best MGS games since the last one, and maybe even the best one released in 2014. Some extremists would say it's one of the two best MGS games on the PS4, but that's a bit generous.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was on sale, I've been waiting for that.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in this game for the stealth that can go wrong and turn into a gunfight kind of experience, but I have never played through a metal gear game. I have peace walker on my 360 but I haven't played it. So I guess my question is, should I read up on some metal gear history or give peace walker a shot before delving into Ground Zeros?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have been struggling with this question as well, but the thing I keep coming back to is the fact that the price can only go down from here, and by the end of the year I think it will be available for less than $10.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't be surprised if it appears on PS+ later on down the road for free before Phantom Pain comes out, so I'm holding out until then.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corvak

It's going to be one of the games launching with the Playstation Now service, so you will probably be able to rent it over a weekend for a few bucks.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@corvak said:

It's going to be one of the games launching with the Playstation Now service, so you will probably be able to rent it over a weekend for a few bucks.

That will be the PS3 version though.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#22 riostarwind  Moderator

Out of all the different MGS games this one is the best one gameplay wise. I found it much more enjoyable to stealth through the area too. But I'm not quite sure you would get enough value out of this by just playing the main mission and a few of the extra missions. After all it's built to be replayed and if playing a mission once is all your planning on doing I would say just wait for a cheaper price.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

I just beat it for the first time literally a couple of hours ago since having it day one. After having heard about how short the game is since it came out. And yet I still feel burned... I felt like I was just grasping the controls and then I beat it. Okay. This almost makes me less interested in MGS5. Maybe I've grown out of Metal Gear though. The overwrought cutscene at the end left me empty and bored. No clue what was happening. Plus I didn't think it looked very good either.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bwheeeler

So ya know, the game is on sale on PSN this week. $15/$13.49 for Plus members on PS4. Still can't decide if it's worth pulling the trigger, but Metal Gear Scanlon has me hankering.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I regret getting it for 15 and I'm a huge metal gear fan. Its short and the weird darkness to the story just made it to weird to play through again

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Legion_

The way MGS now mixes gruesome torture and surgery scenes with goofy kidnapping balloons makes me think this game is worth zero dollars. I find it kinda disgusting. Especially the part where Skullface shoves a bomb into the vagina of a female character. I mean, who felt MGS needed that? It's not dark or edgy or provocative, it's just stupid and sick and shows that Kojima is a bad storyteller.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's absolutely diabolical of them to have charged $30 for Ground Zeroes when its existence is something that seems clearly inspired by Dead Rising 2 Case Zero, which was $5. Take what I say with more than a few grains of salt because I think Metal Gear is lame, but I think even a superfan who pays more than $10 for Ground Zeroes is getting rooked.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Short answer: yes.

I bought it full price and got got enough out of it at that price to feel like it was justified.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

For $18 bucks? Go for it!

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly didn't have an issue buying the game for thirty. It's fun, and if you love Metal Gear, you'll have no problem squeezing that game for every last second.