About to pick up MGS V but I don't know the story

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Raspharus

Aaaaand I don't have a console in order to get the older ones. Can someone summarize the story for me or mb link some site with the story? For all I know Raiden is some kind of cyborg ninja, he was mutilated by the patriots(some weird organization), and that Solid snake is the main char and has some weird eye. Also he seems to be both old and young(wtf).

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Petiew

That's metal Gear Solid 4 you're thinking of.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Youtube

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Boss is sad. They played him like a damn fiddle.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You could get a month of premium and watch Metal Gear Scanlon. Or like Grixxel said, watch the Movie series but you'll be missing out on back ground codec calls.

Remember to watch them in release order, not in chronological order.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I recommend just spending $5 so you can watch Dan and Drew play through the whole series

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: I made a timeline! It's pretty neat. It doesn't explain every character and if you are absolutely starting at ground zero(s) you may want to consider reading a wiki, but be warned that just about anything Metal Gear related that is easy to edit is probably filled with MGSV spoilers.

Also, to round off the shameless self promotion, you should join BSF! We'll help keep your goats safe at night. Keep in mind that the Forward Operating Base multiplayer is totally optional and you can opt-out at any time, so don't be afraid to dip your toes in the water.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

The story is basically Beverly Hills Cop III.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By bceagles128

I feel like you will really only NEED to know about what happened in MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes to understand MGSV on a basic level. I suspect that MGS 2 and 4 are going to be pretty insignificant.

Obviously, it would be best to go through it all but that would be a ton of material to try to get caught up on in a week

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read a summary(heh summary) and hooooooooly shitthe story is complex. I'll try to catch up with it tho.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

yeah since mgsV happens years before mgs1, you probably only need to know what happened in mgs3 and peace walker and ground zeroes to be caught up to the events of mgsV. there's also pc versions of mgs1 and mgs2 if you wanted to play them but probably hard to find.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There is a Hind D. Snake (the main character) is very confused by this unsettling turn of events.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fr0br0 said:

There is a Hind D. Snake (the main character) is very confused by this unsettling turn of events.

Also a surveillance camera

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I was going to say just watch Metal Gear Scanlon but I see you aren't a premium member. Next best option is just YouTube the movie super-cuts of everything if you can't play it.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story is basically Beverly Hills Cop III.

I would pay good money for an Annihilator 2000 DLC.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#18  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

All you really need to know going into MGSV is the stories for MGS3: Snake Eater and MGS: Peace Walker. (Plus Ground Zeroes obviously) People would recommend knowing the entire story of the franchise since they were meant to be experienced in release order, but if you're just interested in V they aren't necessary.

If you have some time to spare I'd recommend ChipCheezum's LPs of MGS3 and Peace Walker. If not then KefkaProduction's "movie" versions of MGS3 and Peace Walker are your best bet, but even those are gonna run you about nine hours combined. If you aren't interested in spending multiple hours catching up and just want the broader story points, Ground Zeroes has a pretty barebones story recap in its main menu.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You don't need to know. You'll never know.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend not visiting the wiki. Chances are, there's already people who've updated it with a bunch of MGSV info/spoilers. Your best bet is Youtube, there's quite a few montages of all cutscenes for the different games. There's also some good summaries.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 is pretty much the best so far, and sets up most of the story. Just go and play that. I'm sure it'll be more than enough preparation. It's available on like 4 different platforms at this point. The 3DS version sucks though, don't go for that one.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Do you have 11 minutes and 50 seconds to spare?

Can you understand fast talking Irish accents?

If so, Eurogamer posted this video a couple of days ago:

Loading Video...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diz: I watched it at 0.5 speed. alot easier to understand...

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what Metal Gear Scanlon was for man!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OurSin_360

You can play the first 3 with an emulator if your pc is decent, then watch MGScanlon or a movie version of the cutscenes on youtube for 4.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say play all 4 first, but that's asking a lot in the last week. Instead just watch MGScanlon.

But seriously, play all of them. Even MGS1. Don't be one of those babies that can't handle old games. Transplant your mind into 1998 and play it.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the same boat as you. I'd never touched any of the metal gear games but people started freaking out about 5 so I decided I'd try to get into it. I watched all of metal gear Scanlon over the past month and a half and feel confident that I understand the basic plot points. Marathoning those might not be the best idea though if you're like me and get frustrated easily. Mgs3 was particularly tough for me to watch because from what I recall it took a really long time for them to start caring about camo. That series is definitely a great way to get caught up though.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: are ya kidding me, I was 2 years old at that time haha. I'll try to play em though

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Frybird

Ground Zeroes is super essential to play, but other than that, this game will give you the very short and basic gist of what is need to know for GZ and presumably PP (both in form of a "Backstory" Text and Audio Files that fill you in on a bunch of stuff).

You'll miss of course tons of references and closures and stuff, but given that MGS V is supposedly much lighter on story it's unlikely that you'd be as lost as in 4 or 2

That said, yeah, they are all pretty good and worthwhile, and MGS1 remains thankfully playable despite coming in the tail end of the 3D Dark Ages thanks to smart visual design and very two-dimensional gameplay.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

500 years ago, the Lumen Sages were at war with the Umbra Witches. The war ended when Fame Douglas founded the pan-dimensional fighting tournament known as Mortal Kombat.

The tournament was won by billionaire industrialist Heihachi Mishima, who threw his son into a volcano and put a bear in charge of his company, the Umbrella Corporation.

This led to the zombie outbreak in Steelport, which was quelled by Burt Reynolds and the super soldier known as Naked Snake. As a reward Snake had the title "Big Boss" bestowed upon him, which he thought was kinda shitty since he would have preferred money. The disillusioned Big Boss went off and founded his own PMC (the La-De-Dah-De-Doo-Dum) and then Skeletor blew up his helicopter.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fr0br0: i mean, a question mark AND a shoutmark? Christ on a bike... [/spoilers]

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok ok ok. So i found a video series on youtube that contained the actual cutscenes AND explanation on top of that, and i have much of the story down. More or less. The story is confusing cause there's more snakes, and the story itself is told from the past and the present. Nevertheless while i understood like 90% of it, i dont get how the Big Boss aka naked snake was considered a villain. In the end he was mostly misunderstood. Is it because he built a military nation with the biggest nuke in order to control everyone? Is it cause he built the patriots which in the end betrayed even him and his legacy and almost destroyed the world?

And another question would be, what's the place of mgs V and ground zeroes. I mean i know that they take place(chronologically)after peace walker, but are they here to explain how naked snake turned evil/monopolistic? Or are they just here to uncover more backstory about him and potentially end any loose ends on his part?

I'm asking this cause for all i've seen the story itself pretty much ended with mgs 4. I mean the present story and also naked snake's story. And as far as i guess Kojima isnt the tipe to make some quick cashgrabs on the games that he supports.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's considered a villain because you face off against him in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. In those games he has his own military nation with nuclear weapons. It's some wrong side of history stuff but how he deals with the IEAA in Ground Zeroes is more telling. They hide the nuclear weapon to show how upstanding they are and destroy any documents that could incriminate them. That's some last days of the Third Reich stuff.

Plus he's been kidnapping soldiers for like, the past three games in the timeline. Some of them children. Ground Zeroes is mainly a setup to land Big Boss on the path of revenge after their base is torched.