Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain PS4 Demo

• 58 results
IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Kojima just did a long nearly 2 hour stream talking about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. He talks about the collectors edition and what not, but the best part is an extended look at the game (Skip to 50:35 to go right to gameplay).

Summary? You can fulton recover everything.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

yep

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dussck

The Mother Base is an interesting thing. As they said you can upgrade it and design the layout of it and all the stuff you fulton in the world map you can use on the mother base. At the end of the demo it was getting 'attacked'. That made me wonder; what if you could infiltrate another player's Mother Base? That would be a nice multiplayer addition.

Also; game looks awesome!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

The gameplay segment looks to be the one all of the games press got to see, so all of the information is kinda old at this point. Still fun to actually witness it all in action, though. That's some fine horse-poop tech they've got going on.

Also, I wonder if the entire game takes place in Afghanistan, or if there'll be different environments you'll travel (and can return) to as the game progresses.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's great they put in all these systems from peace walker and put more ressources behind them. Hopefully this will mean more replayability and cool end game content like awesome weapons and extra hard bosses.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Kojima continues to innovate the series in meaningful ways which is always nice to see.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl

@yummylee said:

The gameplay segment looks to be the one all of the games press got to see, so all of the information is kinda old at this point. Still fun to actually witness it all in action, though. That's some fine horse-poop tech they've got going on.

Also, I wonder if the entire game takes place in Afghanistan, or if there'll be different environments you'll travel (and can return) to as the game progresses.

Looking at the trailers I expect to see other environments like that hospital in Germany (?) and some unnamed African country.

sup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanks! Looks interesting.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i cant wait for this game to come out.absolutely amazing what they have shown here.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Goddamn this all just looks so bloody cool. I think it's ironic how you can no longer fulton people through ceilings anymore like in Peace Walker, given how extra silly they've expanded that feature otherwise. I do hope that you don't have infinite fultons though, as that seems like too convenient of an approach to fultoning all enemy guards out of the environment, when part of the challenge in previous games was figuring out where to hide downed guards before another locates him. It at least looks like it'll cost GMP to use, which I imagine governs how often you can fulton stuff, but it looks like the asking price is pretty cheap.

Overall I would have to say it all looks a little too easy from what they've been showing thus far. The improved mobility and additional options at hand are certainly welcome all the same, but I hope they'll then introduce some new obstacles that can put your new abilities to the test. Vehicles I'm sure will at the very least quickly become a factor to consider.

Really curious to see what extent you can customise your Mother Base, too. Will you be able to literally decide where to place a new facility within the water? How about interior? With like themes and such, like giving it something of a pirate aesthetic to it or something equally stupid for example.

Base invasions seem interesting, too, though hopefully it won't be something that occurs often enough to get tedious, as you're constantly having to return to defend your base. Then again I imagine that it's up to you if you want to directly assist in defending it or could simply leave up to your base's defences that you've set up. The concept that it could even in fact be related to the multiplayer sounds pretty neat, too.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fulton that sheep

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very important that @artelinarose, leader of Diamond Goats, sees this.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Poonz

Didn't get to watch all the stream but, damn the game looks nice. I'm sure it will be super confusing and hard to follow. But it will be beautiful to look at and at least fun to play.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Corevi

@yummylee: The very first prerelease stuff was in the jungle, and there's Mother Base, which from the E3 trailer I bet there will be missions there.

I love the idea of Mother Base being a rad clubhouse for soldiers to play soccer, go fishing and just shoot the shit.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#15 riostarwind  Moderator

Defending the base seems like a neat way to use the different things that can be sent to the base. I do hope we can also go on the offensive as well with a group of soldiers and vehicles.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh okay, so it's basically third-person Crysis 1 (or Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs or whatever other game has you tagging enemies and infiltrating areas in an open world/big area). Dunno why I didn't make that connection with Ground Zeroes. Yeah that'll be fun; really into that sort of stealth gameplay.

Suddenly I'm way more interested in this, and I guess Ground Zeroes as well. Wonder if they'll put em on PC at some point. Doubt it, even if Kojima's expressed some interest there.

And the whole box thing got old a while ago, but that box escape move looks genuinely awesome and useful.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Looks cool! I skipped through some parts of the video and didn't play Ground Zeroes so I might've missed this, but does anyone know what happens with (Peace Walker spoilers?) Metal Gear ZEKE? I would be pretty excited if it still has that part of PW and it's physically on the Mother Base or something.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee
wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool, hope it comes out before the end of 2015.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huh, so there's a cost to fulton recovery on people/objects. It makes sense, but I guess 300 GMP is kinda cheap when you can get 30000 GMP from picking up three raw diamonds lying around. I was also hoping they show off getting away by using fulton recover on the vehicle at the end but nope. Man, feel like playing Ground Zeroes again.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's looking pretty gosh darn incredible!

I do think that having infinite Fulton balloons is really OP, though. I hope that was only for the demo. Well, I guess it was costing 300 GMP every time, but even then, that's basically infinite.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

At least some of the game is in Africa. It was mentioned by name in one of the trailers, and all those child soldiers are black, so probably not in Afghanistan. Yes, racist, I know.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

Also, look at the box mechanics (only in a Kojima game would I refer to that) in the game. That part where he dives out the front of the box is just fantastic.

No Caption Provided

Also this:

No Caption Provided

Simply fantastic.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: @audiobusting: Sticking with it being Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes spoilers:

While you do "defeat" ZEKE at the end of Peace Walker, the tapes in Ground Zeroes (which takes place a year later) mention and make ZEKE a fairly large plot point in Ground Zeroes - even though it does not appear directly.

Basically, ZEKE is repaired after the Peace Walker incident and continues to act as MSF's secret ace. They talk about how they have to hide ZEKE - and it's nuclear payload - during an inspection of Mother Base in Ground Zeroes.

Anyway, keep getting more and more excited for The Phantom Pain. Delayed playing Ground Zeroes because of the response it had gotten - only got around to it last week, and now I'm all a-buzz for more Metal Gear :)

Thinking I'll go back and play some more Ground Zeroes this weekend...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@yummylee: That is what I've been theorizing. Remember when MGS2 was being covered? The only thing shown was the tanker. I've GOT to think that there is other areas that Kojima has tucked away in his pocket. My policy is to not entirely trust anything until I've actually finished the game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mnemoidian: They dig out ZEKE from the ocean during Ground Zeroes while you are off saving Paz and Chico.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smooth buttery 1080p 60fps yummy yummy.

Also i agree do not trust Kojima.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By laserguy

What is Fulton Recovery? will i be able to recover Snake and his horse in a box?

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserguy: Here is the wiki. In the game, it is the mechanic of attaching a balloon to soldiers, animals, vehicles, etc to lift them up and be picked up by a helicopter to your base.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched this. And holy fuck does this look cool. Motherbase is, basically, big shell. YOU ARE BUILDING BIG SHELL AND PEOPLE WILL INFILTRATE IT. That sounds fucking cool. It's like you're on the other side of an mgs game. Also, thinking of the multiplayer possibilities for this... Not sure if the game has MP, but thinking of a dark souls type mp mode where you can infiltrate other peoples bases and get stuff from them... I hope something like that exists.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iigrayfoxii: I attach a balloon to Snake and a horse in a box and lift them to safety? Fantastic, ill buy it.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mnemoidian

@corruptedevil: Err, no, sorry, you've got it backwards.

They very clearly talk about ZEKE being "complete" in the briefing tapes of Ground Zeroes. About waterproofing ZEKE and the nuke, about an underwater test and about a 300 foot seabed test. Because they need to hide their nuke and Metal Gear for the IAEA inspection, should be the first couple of minutes in this video:

Loading Video...

And in Peace Walker, they show Paz falling out of ZEKE, falling into the water - there's no implication that ZEKE also ended up in the water.

http://youtu.be/NCqmtIRhEFg?t=29m35s

Starting at 29:35, running 'till the credits start, or so.

Anyway. As I remember from Peace Walker (where Fulton recovery featured), Fulton "ammo" was limited, but capacity could be upgraded through research, up to 13, I believe. In PW there was a special item to analyze soldiers before you Fulton recovered them - something like that might appear here as well.

edit: Meh, video embedding seems to be a bit funky today. I'll settle for links.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get hype everyone. Get hype

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By GunstarRed

Hopefully at some point in the game I can Fulton a Metal Gear.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Corevi

@mnemoidian: Ah sorry, got mixed up. I have played PW though.

@rongalaxy: In PW you could send people items and trade soldiers, so I imagine there will at least be something similar to that.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holographic cigar smoke.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

I don't care about Hideo Kojima. I don't care about Keifer Sutherland or David Hayter. I don't care about Metal Gear's story, lore or characters. I don't care about the cardboard box. I don't care what decade the game is set in, or which character I'm controlling.

All I want is the opportunity to be a rad commando guy meticulously infiltrating a rad fortress. Pretty please, Metal Gear games? Can you please be the thing that I liked about you again?

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more vagina bombs I hope...Please.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched this. And holy fuck does this look cool. Motherbase is, basically, big shell. YOU ARE BUILDING BIG SHELL AND PEOPLE WILL INFILTRATE IT. That sounds fucking cool. It's like you're on the other side of an mgs game. Also, thinking of the multiplayer possibilities for this... Not sure if the game has MP, but thinking of a dark souls type mp mode where you can infiltrate other peoples bases and get stuff from them... I hope something like that exists.

I think this is an excellent point and a point I haven't heard yet. Multiplayer exists, but that would be a neat feature, to be able to infiltrate and steal from other players Mother Base.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about Hideo Kojima. I don't care about Keifer Sutherland or David Hayter. I don't care about Metal Gear's story, lore or characters. I don't care about the cardboard box. I don't care what decade the game is set in, or which character I'm controlling.

All I want is the opportunity to be a rad commando guy meticulously infiltrating a rad fortress. Pretty please, Metal Gear games? Can you please be the thing that I liked about you again?

But...its always been that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy said:

I think this is an excellent point and a point I haven't heard yet. Multiplayer exists, but that would be a neat feature, to be able to infiltrate and steal from other players Mother Base.

I agree, but I also hope they'd let you turn off invasions (to steal a Dark Souls term). I just don't want to deal with that, at least not until after I've finished the story and am messing around Fultoning sheep and other critters all day.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@thehumandove said:

@kevin_cogneto said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 certainly wasn't. Neither is MGS5, by all indications.

MGS1 gave you the singular goal of infiltrating Shadow Moses, and then guess what, you went and you did it. That's the whole game. To a lesser degree, this is true of MGS3 as well. The feeling of spending the length of an entire game sneaking into a single impenetrable fortress, doing a thing, and then escaping, that's so enormously satisfying to me. That's literally all I want from Metal Gear.

What I don't want is to be bounced around from mission to mission MGS4-style, doing things I don't care about alongside characters I don't care about in between hour-long cutscenes. Metal Gear games used to be so satisfyingly focused. Now we're building oil derricks or whatever. Who is clamoring for base building in a Metal Gear game? I genuinely don't understand it.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By artelinarose

oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man

i am shaking from the hype

@thehumandove said:

@kevin_cogneto said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 certainly wasn't. Neither is MGS5, by all indications.

MGS1 gave you the singular goal of infiltrating Shadow Moses, and then guess what, you went and you did it. That's the whole game. To a lesser degree, this is true of MGS3 as well. The feeling of spending the length of an entire game sneaking into a single impenetrable fortress, doing a thing, and then escaping, that's so enormously satisfying to me. That's literally all I want from Metal Gear.

What I don't want is to be bounced around from mission to mission MGS4-style, doing things I don't care about alongside characters I don't care about in between hour-long cutscenes. Metal Gear games used to be so satisfyingly focused. Now we're building oil derricks or whatever. Who is clamoring for base building in a Metal Gear game? I genuinely don't understand it.

The words of someone that clearly did not play Peace Walker.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I should really give Ground Zeroes another shot.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Nodima

@kevin_cogneto agreed, MGS was a much less ambitious series in prior generations in terms of its settings. MGS1 started in the dry dock of a building and ended in the basement. MGS2 (for all intents and purposes) started getting on an oil rig and ended getting off a boat. MGS3 started on one end of a jungle and ended on the other. Then suddenly MGS4 is loaded with "hey remember the stuff you liked about the other games? we're referencing it!", egg prep, cutscenes that are just unmanageably long (I appreciate the hubris but you just can't hide a television episode full of useless auteuristic shots in a video game over and over again; it's hard to schedule five hours for a video game ahead of time) and the odd stuff felt way more...oddly odd.

MGSV seems like it's decided being odd is what the series is about now. But the game looks so ridiculous and cartoonish that maybe I'll be able to buy the setting(s) this time. If I can just rocket parachute a guy into a jet every 30 seconds while no one in the base notices and drop boxes on a guy's head that take 20 seconds to drop and would probably be noticed by plenty of people...I don't know, Ground Zeroes was a lot of fun. I think it's just becoming important to forget that MGS used to have an interesting narrative and a lot of that had to do with learning the character of a given place, sneaking all around it and absorbing its secrets. I'm not sure MGSV will offer that, but it seems to've doubled down on being a fun game to make up for it.

My real question is what happens when you finish 4 hours of open world fucking around because the game turns out to be super fun and then get on with a story mission only to end up trapped in a cutscene for 70 minutes? If they're going for looser gameplay I have to imagine Kojima realizes he needs to truncate himself a little bit.

I also think they've created a unique challenge for themselves as a narrative-driven franchise, in that time lapse in open world games is a very real thing. My adventure with Aiden Pierce has no sense of urgency to it at all but the plot is obviously taking place over a couple of days. Meanwhile I'm spending weeks of game time murdering gang members with security cameras in between missions. Considering the high tension levels of every MGS story (even 4), it's going to be interesting to see if they can capture that feel with the gameplay being presented the way it is.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By BoOzak

@iigrayfoxii said:

@rongalaxy said:

I agree, but I also hope they'd let you turn off invasions (to steal a Dark Souls term). I just don't want to deal with that, at least not until after I've finished the story and am messing around Fultoning sheep and other critters all day.

Yeah that type of stuff sounds cool in concept but after playing through Watch Dogs it really got in the way and hurt the pace. As someone who obsessed over gettting all the Dog Tags in MGS2 infinite fultons sounds great. I hated not being able to collect all the soldiers and POWs in PW. MGS has always been kind of easy, it took some time to adapt to the lack of the Soliton Radar (which I hope returns in TPP) in 3&4 but once you learn how to ultilize all the gadgets at your disposal those games were easily exploitable too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when is Fulton Recovery system not fun?

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Snake (is it Snake? Never played any of the games.) mute? It felt sort of weird with that other guy having a whole monologue.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Nah man, the game's way better without radar.