alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Update: Now with an official trailer!

According to this neogaf post Target leaked the sequel to everyone's favourite orc slaughter sim Shadow of Mordor.

No Caption Provided

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

Experience an epic open-world brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Forge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army in Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™.

Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth.

In Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™, nothing will be forgotten.

I guess they thought the 'Shadow' part of the title would give them the most brand recognition? I'm more interested in how they make the world feel fresh.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm excited because nobody else decided to incorporate aspects of the "nemesis" tech in other games.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoOzak

The Nemisis system was great but revisiting Mordor seems like a waste. Also the way this is worded makes it seem like an expansion pack not a sequel. (not saying you're wrong)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

Great, Mordor had the best Assassin's Creed-type gameplay of any game I've played. Everything just felt smooth and right.

They need to add some environmental variety, but by the time I did this sort of stuff I felt really fucking cool in that game. Been long enough that I'm ready for more.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just finished replaying this game today, that's a crazy coincidence. It's about time they announced a sequel.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alistercat

I can't edit my post, so here is a larger image of the boxart.

No Caption Provided

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trust monolith to make a good game.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to the game, but hope Nemesis system won't be tied only to player deaths this time. Otherwise I'll end up going through the game again without being able to properly enjoy the system.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the game is harder than the original. I want to experience more of the Award-winning nemesis system

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love this game hyped its coming back!

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ezekiel

I found it too repetitive. There wasn't enough meat to it. If the sequel is just you killing orcs with Batman's combat system again, I'll wait for several price drops.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rethla

Great, lets hope its not a cashgrab. I wanna see fleshed out enviroments and story this time around. The only thing the first game leaned on was a new nemesis concept and deacent combat but only that wont be enogh for a sequel with everything else being so bland.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, I've been meaning to replay the original game for a while now. Environmental variety is definitely the first thing that comes to my mind as well, so hope that'll be a thing.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

The Nemisis system was great but revisiting Mordor seems like a waste. Also the way this is worded makes it seem like an expansion pack not a sequel. (not saying you're wrong)

The expansion stuff is refering to the 'gold edition' mentioned in the neogaf post that includes this game's season pass. Being announced with the season pass details is the hip thing.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited because nobody else decided to incorporate aspects of the "nemesis" tech in other games.

Apparently Warframe did but I haven't played that game in a very long time now so I can't absolutely confirm.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm hopeful that this game will flesh out the systems-level nonsense that made Shadow of Mordor so interesting. They've certainly taken their time, if nothing else.

Also looking forward to the story being the worst kind of insane fan-fiction that will make Tolkien roll in his grave.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pretty much murdered the entirety of Mordor, I need a new location to make extinct.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By paulmako

Huh. Is it unusual for a leak to start with straight up box art? I guess that's what happens when it's from a retailer. Silly Target.

I still never played the first one. Was thinking about it recently but am saving my sword-and-bow enthusiasm for Zelda. This is turning into a pretty busy year for big sequels. Destiny 2, Red Dead 2, Battlefront 2 etc.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did i just see gear set? if they added loot mechanics i would be so damn excited.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it normal to release all that info to fucking target before you even announce it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Hopefully they hired some environmental artists this time around.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that name is a placeholder, it's terrible.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I just hope they find some way to make the nemesis system work without tying it to player death. I finished the entire first map/area without dying and that's where I stopped playing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@personandstuff: maybe there was some weird exclusivity deal.

i suck at games so i feel i experienced quite a bit of the nemesis system, but it would be cool to increase its effect for winning situations. maybe the orc is beaten but not down for the count, runs away and trains or something then comes back stronger than before. though i guess the ones you beat sometimes do come back in the original if i recall correctly, just don't think they were any stronger. nemesis system was still rad, just more i think about it it seemed to punish bad players in a way.

first one was a ton of fun even if reoetitive, kinda addictive actually. looking forward to how they change it up.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

That cover sucks but I'm still really looking forward to this game.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I'm not really interested in going back to Mordor. I never finished the first game, as I too felt it was pretty repetitive. And Mordor is not a very visually interesting location within the world of Middle-Earth.

I want to go elsewhere!

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big fan of Tolkien, I'm glad there are still people out there trying to crack the LOTR video game code, but I didn't think that Shadow of Mordor was an entirely successful attempt. XP bars and combo multipliers don't really fit the setting that well, which made all the Lord of the Rings stuff feel incidental. But, thinking about it, I don't really know what template would make for a good Lord of the Rings game. I really hope someone figures it out though. That would be swell.

Anyways, I'm interested to see what changes they've made for the sequel.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Not interested. The first game was pretty awful. I don't trust them at all to create a better game. They would probably double down on all the things that made it shit.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It's about time. I still can't believe anyone has come up with an evolution of the nemesis system, or even just stolen it outright. I absolutely loved the first game, so I can't wait for more info on this one.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Also looking forward to the story being the worst kind of insane fan-fiction that will make Tolkien roll in his grave.

Unfortunately, Arbitrary speaks the truth. Someday, someone might write something related to Lord of the Rings that doesn't suck, but man, I cannot play LOTR-themed games and not get a little depressed about the crappy writing. That said though, I am definitely down for stabbing more orcs.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But, thinking about it, I don't really know what template would make for a good Lord of the Rings game. I really hope someone figures it out though. That would be swell.

A linear traveling game with a companion system. Action-adventure.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pyrodactyl

Ehhhh, they'll have to sell me on this game before I get excited. Liked the first one but the nemesis system was super limited from a gameplay perspective. They'll have to expand the concepts in a really big way before I care. Hopefully they took the time since the last one to think of ways to make taking over the orc higher archy more meaningful and rewarding.

If it's the same game with minor improvments it'll be a hard pass for me

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@zevvion: I didn't really like the first game either. What didn't you like about it?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#34  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

You know what would be rad is a spiritual successor to that LOTR RPG, but set apart from the typical "we have to relate this to the main books!" bullshit.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By Castiel

The nemesis system was really cool in concept but thought the game itself became way to repetitive in the long run. The game was a one trick pony with a, granted, promising but shallow trick. I hope Monolith have expanded and deepened the Nemesis system.

Also I still find it crazy that no other game tried to copy the system. I thought it would become the next Batman combat in video games.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psst.. Monolith.. Do you ever think about Shogo? Me too!

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue is that the game was all about gameplay -- the pure fun of murdering orcs and watching the Nemesis system unfold uniquely -- and Tolkien is all about rich storytelling. There is a basic clashing of ideas there, and that's the only thing I think needs addressing outside of more variety.

The game is really good, I can't even attempt say it isn't with a straight face, but it's merely a satisfying template of something much more they've yet to tap into. I very much like the sound of forging your own ring, though; that's weird, but we wants it don't we precious? Oh god...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I didn't really like the first game either. What didn't you like about it?

• Way too easy
  • Looks very bland
  • No variety in things to do
  • It's only unique quality: Nemesis system. It working revolved entirely around you dying frequently. See above, just never happens, might as well not be in there.

It's just a bad 'one of those'. There are much better games like that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Hopefully they hired some environmental artists this time around.

Yeah, I always wondered if the first game seemed so barren and empty because it originally started off as a different game.

A lot of WB leaks happening recently.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WheresDerrick

I am pretty upset that the first thing I read about this game is about a fucking expansion for it. Game's can't even be leaked anymore without already hearing about DLC

Also the fact there's a gold edition before all the DLC is released, meaning you still have to download all the extra content instead of it installing off the disc. Fun

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mordor again?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ripelivejam

@snowypliskin: they should set it in the shire and nothing happens. or you just go to town on hobbits.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Even though you are joking, yes I agree.

Theres so many places to go in the Tolkien universe. The freaking woods!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be game to try this. I hope the pc version doesn't turn out to be the best version to play. Having part of the key charm of a game locked to one version doesn't sit well with me, even though I understand they surely had their reasons. But maybe...just maybe....this will be the run.

@ripelivejam I'd actually play a game where you just live your life out in a shire. Like the most boring harvest moon/story of seasons ever. Hahahaah Hobbit dew valley.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin: yeah i think they could have gone places with the franchise. maybe even a new main character but i guess they need a through line. my tolkien is a bit rusty so im not sure that much went on outside of mordor between the hobbit and lotr, but i guess they could find a way to invent new fiction that allowed for a wider selection of locales. sadly mordor doesn't lend itself to much variety.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naoiko: just a calm farming sim until the scouring happens. and then talion comes in and collects heads. any head, doesn't matter whose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Monolith would make a new FPS or a new F.E.A.R. game that isn't shit like 2 and 3.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@zevvion: I agree. I wasn't able to get the Nemesis System to "work" because I wasn't dying a lot. I remember a lot of people saying the combat was just as good as Batman's. It's not even close to how smooth Batman's combat is. The story sucked, the environments were bland and there are just flat out better games of this similar type out there.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Shadow of Wardor joke yet?

Shame.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need cities and other non-combat areas if I am to play this.

Also, Shadow of War is a poop name.