patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
No Caption Provided

If this was coming from anywhere but a place like The Wall Street Journal, I probably would have blinked and moved on, but here we are. The publication is reporting Microsoft may finalize a deal to buy Mojang, creators of Minecraft, in a $2 billion deal this week.

Yeah. $2 billion.

The WSJ described the talks as "serious discussions." This would mean they've gone far past the flirtation stage of negotiations.

A deal like this suggests Microsoft views Minecraft as the new Lego, a product with mindshare among children for generations. It might also suggest Mojang realizes it will never make another game like Minecraft, and it's better to cash in now. It's also possible all of this could fall apart in the next few days.

This would also be slightly surprising to hear from creator Markus Persson, who has actively railed against the sale of other companies, such as Oculus. In the past, he's said he wanted to remain independent.

It's not uncommon for big companies to acquire studios after a surprise hit, though it's probably not fair to describe Minecraft that way anymore. If we're to entertain the idea of a sale, it raises some big questions about the future. Minecraft just launched on PlayStation 4, and a Vita version is on the way. The mobile versions of Minecraft have been some of the most consistent sellers on every platform. Would Microsoft really consider pulling the plug on those versions? That's hard to imagine--it'd be throwing away money.

What, then, is Microsoft's longterm plan for Minecraft? Perhaps ongoing development is stopped on the other versions, and the Xbox and Windows Mobile versions become the "superior" editions of Minecraft? A huge part of Minecraft's appeal is its modability, and its availability on platforms like the PC and Mac.

Or maybe Microsoft just leaves it alone? Hmm. It's possible. But companies love to meddle.

Avatar image for captaininvictus
CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By CaptainInvictus

I'd throw my stances out the window for two billion, too. I could buy, like, A HUNDRED Giant Bombs with that sorta skrilla!

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems out of character for Notch. I guess $2bn can sway most people though.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By august

I think my main worry about Microsoft buying Mojang is the increased barrier of entry to low-income families.

A lot of cheap laptops can run Minecraft with an older version of Windows or a free copy of Ubuntu. If you can only get it through the Windows 8.1 app store or on an expensive console that would be a real shame. I guess 360s will only be getting cheaper though.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

And a few months later Notch leaves and starts his own indie studio

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this feels like it kind of came out of nowhere. Interesting to see what ends up happening.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Luck702

Well, Mojang already has bajillions of dollars, why not a few bajillion more. Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but Notch has always been a hugely pretentious hypocrite. I hope he buys a private island and goes away for a while.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@august: It would be a real bummer if they do that. I see them more likely doing special things for Microsoft versions or not selling the game on any new platforms.

Or maybe they just want to make part of the profits.

This does worry me, but it seems stranger than scary to me. Minecraft was a miracle and it doesn't look like Mojang is going to put out another mega-hit like that any time soon. Surely the Minecraft market must be close to saturation by now.

slot9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the big question here (if this is true) is what Notch decides to do. Minecraft is already pretty much a separate entity or company from Notch himself. As long as he keeps doing his thing, I'm ok with it.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

$2 Billion.

Mojang is worth more than ALL OF TWITCH.TV. This feels like I live in crazy land where people just throw money out on the street for no reason. Can anyone explain this to me?

libb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By libb

I imagine Notch's indie ambitions probably can be swayed by $2 billion. He can leave and start about a hundred separate studios to make whatever he can possibly dream of. Rich Uncle Notch-bags will be the indie game community's equivalent of Robin Hood, robbing from greedy Microsoft and giving it out to the indies - I can't wait to see him donate a million to a Humble Bundle or something similarly ridiculous.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By hassun

2 billion for meinkraft alone seems ridiculous.

But if it's not just for the game, I don't know what else it's for.

I seem to recall Notch talking about how Mojang would exist for a while and try some stuff, then if it didn't work out he would just close the studio.

This seems like the perfect opportunity for a ridiculously huge "payout and get out".

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Take the money. Don't be an idiot.

For real, just take the money.

eggshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft will see Minecraft more like a service than a game, like releasing Office and Skype on Apple and Android products

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if Notch has ultimate veto power for this type of decision? Has he remained in control of Mojang over the last few years?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

I just find this hard to believe.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

2 Billion? Doesn't Minecraft make that in a blink of an eye?

SolidOcelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It would be out of character for Notch if this sale goes through.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

You know what would make Notch REALLY be able to be independent? 2 Billion dollars. Unless he's contractually obligated to stay with the company or something.

What wouldn't you sell for 2 billion dollars?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This only really bothers me in light of the big stink he made over Facebook and Oculus.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Only if part of that 2 billion goes towards Notch funding Psychonauts 2.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RE_Player1

Who was the outlet who rumoured that Google was buying Twitch and than it ended up being Amazon. Perhaps there are discussions of Mojang being bought but Microsoft isn't the company or the only one.

Wereroku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seemah: Last I saw he was still the majority shareholder but he has to think about everyone with him in a deal like this. He is not the only one that would profit from it. If they are offering that much money it would be very difficult to just say no but at the same time he is quite wealthy and their game is still making money.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Money talks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

"I'd like to remain indepen...2 billion, you say?"

I can only hope that Microsoft allows them to continue supporting it on other platforms.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Like that matters in the face of two billion fucking dollars.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Luck702

@rayeth said:

$2 Billion.

Mojang is worth more than ALL OF TWITCH.TV. This feels like I live in crazy land where people just throw money out on the street for no reason. Can anyone explain this to me?

It's baffling to me as well. Minecraft was lightning in a bottle that's most likely already run its course. I doubt a sequel would achieve anywhere the same success as the first. Meanwhile, Twitch is a service that is used everyday by millions and only has potential to grow its userbase. We now officially live in bizzaro-world.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@fobwashed said:

You know what would make Notch REALLY be able to be independent? 2 Billion dollars. Unless he's contractually obligated to stay with the company or something.

I see your point, but don't you think notch has more money than he could ever spend already? ... I would seem very out of character for him to sell mojang.

vucubcaquix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, it'd be nice if Microsoft gives the PC Minecraft official gamepad support and Xbox UI already..

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

My guess is that if the deal goes through, Microsoft still publishes Minecraft on the non-Microsoft platforms, where it already exists, but probably slows that train down as far as new gaming devices go. Macs are outside of this bubble, I think, and can't imagine Microsoft pulling support for Minecraft on Apple machines. I mean, they publish Office over there, why not Minecraft too; they're equally pervasive.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@kanerobot said:

@solidocelot said:

At this point, with this amount of money, it'd be fucking irresponsible not to take the deal. I don't presume to know Notch's personal life, but if it's anything like mine then he's got bills, he's got dependents, and he's got to make sure their futures are secure should anything bad happen to him. The peace of mind alone one could get from such a deal is worth it.

I mean, Holy Wayne, how is this is even a debate?

Hardtarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

holy shit, I hope this is true just because it's so insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's out of the question for Microsoft to get a share of the Playstation sales as well as other platforms, and havin future installments as exclusives. This could benefit both XBox, and Windows if the game is only available through their Windows marketplace (or whatever it's called).

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@fobwashed said:

I see your point, but don't you think notch has more money than he could ever spend already? ... I would seem very out of character for him to sell mojang.

Yes. He prolly has way more money than he would really be able to spend without going balls crazy. Still... that's still so much money. It'd give him the ability to go beyond spending money into the realm of doing crazy shit like funding large projects out of pocket. Or maybe, larger projects than he currently can.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, why not, I mean it worked great for Nokia.

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one good thing that might come from this is that Notch would have enough to Fund Psychonauts 2.

OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

But, it's on so many competing platforms. And is made in Java for the main version. wowowow

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft 360 has been The BestSeller (or just about) nearly everywhere it's out physically or digitally since it got released, so it's not that bad of an idea.

It's just that it's a one-hit-company and Notch could go, letting whoever wants leave with him, and head out to build another team.

And that it's would be another unexplainable piece of desperate insanity from Microsoft if they were to do this.

And causing the Ferguson of gamers if they along with the acquisition demanded that all non-Microsoft platforms versions of Minecraft were to be recalled.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot said:

@solidocelot said:

At this point, with this amount of money, it'd be fucking irresponsible not to take the deal. I don't presume to know Notch's personal life, but if it's anything like mine then he's got bills, he's got dependents, and he's got to make sure their futures are secure should anything bad happen to him. The peace of mind alone one could get from such a deal is worth it.

And you don't think he already has close to a billion dollars if not more at this point? Think about how rich this guy already is considering every copy of Minecraft ever sold in the last 4 years. He's already set for life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez. It didn't take long for Twitter to fill up with Notch bashing.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me, or does that seem like the kind of thing Notch would never do?

I mean, this is the guy who throws giant parties for their own sake and cancels deals with Oculus over twitter?

shatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in a store that sells Minecraft merchandise - books, kits, figures, apparel, bobbleheads, etc. - if this deal includes all that stuff, then two billion dollars isn't a ludicrous number. To a generation of kids, Minecraft is a lot more than just a video game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Minecraft still make enough money to justify spending $2 billion on a studio that's done fuck all else for five years?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Show me a game developer who wouldn't sell out for $2 billion and I'll show you a god damn liar.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews

WTB Money Hat joke.

Also I keep meaning to try Scrolls. Sounds like late autumn for a demo.

dozeworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dozeworthy
No Caption Provided

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luck702 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@kanerobot said:

@solidocelot said:

And you don't think he already has close to a billion dollars if not more at this point? Think about how rich this guy already is considering every copy of Minecraft ever sold in the last 4 years. He's already set for life.

Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea what the profit sharing amongst the developers of Mojang is like. I personally have no interest in Mojang, Notch, or Minecraft, but when I see that much money sitting on the table, I know better than to walk away without picking up every last dollar.

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft is worth 2/5ths of Star Wars.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

*insert Million Dollar Man laugh here*

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a bit more complicated than a complete buyout if it happens. Perhaps Microsoft would get the rights to any future Minecraft games or to Minecraft as a 'franchise' but wouldn't be allowed to have control over the original Minecraft.