• 68 results
#1 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Apparently, the new game is not a sequel as we expected it's reboot. I haven't seen any comments on this. Destructoid, updated their news and it says now that it's a reboot.

[Update: This new Mirror's Edge will not be sequel, but a reboot. It'll re-tell Faith's origin and ... sigh. It's also coming to the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.]

#2 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

I think they're confusing prequel with reboot. It's not like ME1 was focused on her past or anything.

#3 Posted by bigjeffrey (4817 posts) -

Origin

#4 Edited by Zeik (2266 posts) -

The press release calls it a "reboot", but I think that's just poor wording. Unless the story completely changes the setting of the game by the end there's really no reason to "reboot" it over just making a prequel.

#5 Posted by mikey87144 (1673 posts) -

Does reboot mean no guns?

#6 Edited by ahgunsillyo (445 posts) -

I only have a very vague memory of the story of the first Mirror's Edge, but did they really give Faith a full origin story? If they tell an origin story where there wasn't really one before, couldn't it just be a prequel than a complete reboot?

EDIT: @dallas_raines @zeik I'm glad we're all on the same page here.

#7 Edited by Hailinel (23979 posts) -

I think they're confusing prequel with reboot. It's not like ME1 was focused on her past or anything.

It's a reboot. Rhianna Pratchett was on Twitter earlier stating that she's not involved with writing the new game and that it seems to be ignoring canon established in the original game and its accompanying material.

#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Whatever it is, it's Mirror's Edge so it's going to be cool. Hoping more for a prequel than a reboot.

#9 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

What are you talking about, it's got 2 right there in the title.

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

Aw, shit! That's why she looks sorta weird..

#11 Posted by gike987 (1751 posts) -

Don't care if it is, as long as the world looks the same (it does) and Faith is the main character (she is). I don't even remember the story and I have played the game multiple times.

Anyway, that sounds more like a prequel than a reboot. The last game wasn't an origin story.

#12 Posted by Zeik (2266 posts) -

@landon said:

You're right. Putting a 2 in the title while also rebooting the story would be really really weird. If it was a reboot I would expect them to go with "Mirror's Edge: Subtitle"

#13 Edited by Andorski (5204 posts) -

Does reboot mean no guns?

I think one of the henchmen she sees after busting someone's face is pointing a gun at her.

#14 Posted by ahgunsillyo (445 posts) -

@zeik said:

@landon said:

You're right. Putting a 2 in the title while also rebooting the story would be really really weird. If it was a reboot I would expect them to go with "Mirror's Edge: Subtitle"

The Mirror's Edge would be a case where that naming convention isn't all that bad.

#15 Edited by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

The story of 1 was pretty weak, I think they can reboot it and no one will care at the end of 2. ME1 was too short to take the story seriously.

#16 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

Why is there a 2 in the title then? Or isn't there? I'm confused.

#17 Posted by Nictel (2389 posts) -

The original Mirror's Edge was in 2008? I feel old now. I just want Faith and running. The story I care less about.

#18 Edited by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

Origin

Ugh, this just reminded me that I'll probably have to buy it on Origin if I want to play it. Fuck Origin.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23979 posts) -

@landon said:

Where in official materials was a 2 put in the title? Look at the logo at the top of this thread. I don't see a 2 there. Do you?

#20 Posted by gike987 (1751 posts) -
@brendan said:

Why is there a 2 in the title then? Or isn't there? I'm confused.

There isn't actually. EA are just calling it the new Mirrors Edge.

#21 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Guys, I think we automatically put a two in the title, because we already had the one. Maybe they'll name this Mirror's Edge: (insert subtitle here). I don't think they have an official title yet.

#22 Posted by Zeik (2266 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@landon said:

Where in official materials was a 2 put in the title? Look at the logo at the top of this thread. I don't see a 2 there. Do you?

Wait, you're right. I looked over the press release again and there's no mention of a "2" anywhere.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=770366

It also makes me realize how fucking stupid Xbox One®, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft is to see all written out like that.

#23 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Whatever. I've got no attachment to the fiction of the first game - or even Faith herself, though I suppose she stays, as she managed to stumble her way into being the franchise face. Just make a game where I'm a pair of pumping hands that runs away from dudes.

#24 Edited by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Calling it: Mirror's Edge: A New Faith

#25 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

Calling it: Mirror's Edge: A New Faith

Niiiiice.

#26 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

My guess is that it'll be like the end of Bioshock Infinite, in which there's always a Shard, and white buildings, and a person who runs, and bad 2d animated cutscenes. You'll travel through the multiverse and discover an incarnation of Faith whose runner vision highlights things in blue and she loves guns.

#27 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

I didn't care the slightest about Mirror's Edge story while I played it (and don't remember anything about it now) so in my eyes this can only be good, get a fresh start.

Bring back first person hugs.

#28 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@dallas_raines said:

It's a reboot. Rhianna Pratchett was on Twitter earlier stating that she's not involved with writing the new game and that it seems to be ignoring canon established in the original game and its accompanying material.

That's good news. The original's plot is forgettable and Pratchett's work is mediocre. I'm fine with that.

#29 Posted by oldenglishC (923 posts) -

I'm just relieved that the rumors of it being a Kinect exclusive weren't true.

Just make a game where I'm a pair of pumping hands that runs away from dudes.

Yuup. I loved the hell out of the first game, but couldn't tell you one thing about the story.

#30 Posted by Nictel (2389 posts) -

@coafi said:

Guys, I think we automatically put a two in the title, because we already had the one. Maybe they'll name this Mirror's Edge: (insert subtitle here). I don't think they have an official title yet.

Think you're right: http://www.mirrorsedge.com/ Not a 2 to be found.

#31 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I'm not engaged in any type of rich fiction for the game so I don't care if it's a sequel, prequel, or a reboot I just want to play it.

#32 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

I don't care what it is, as long as the gameplay and setting is there. That's what made the game unique in the first place, not the story.

#33 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

God knows the Mirror's Edge franchise was being crushed under its own continuity.

#34 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

I am glad that there looks to be cgi cut scenes, the story in the first one wasn't amazing or anything but what they did in the first one really took me out of it anyway. Felt lazy and I don't like that art style. Either way I am happy that there is a new game coming and it looks like it will be good.

#35 Posted by BeachThunder (11725 posts) -

@brendan said:

Why is there a 2 in the title then?

It's actually Mirror's Edge Too.

#36 Posted by BaconGames (3315 posts) -

I was thinking about this earlier, how I really don't care at all for the fiction or Faith as a character, but if they can keep the look and the style but actually make me give a shit about this character, I'm all for it! Even the idea that it's not a direct sequel has gotten me way more excited for this than before. We'll see if the "2" appended to the end stays or not.

#37 Posted by Xolare (1274 posts) -

Why on Earth did I think you were abbreviating Mass Effect?

#38 Edited by TheBluthCompany (370 posts) -

@grixxel: Or Mirror's Edge: Faith No More

#39 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@xolare said:

@dallas_raines said:

Why on Earth did I think you were abbreviating Mass Effect?

because Mass Effect was the better game.

#40 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who enjoys the fiction of Mirror's Edge and wants more. I'll be highly disappointed if it doesn't keep the first game as canon.

#41 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

This announcement is the highlight of E3 for me so far. Mirror's Edge holds a very special place in my heart.

#43 Posted by julianreyes12382923 (1 posts) -

this is not a sequel, not a reboot, it's a prequel. in the frist game mercury says to faith, "welcome back" and the trailer shows faith getting her tattoos.

#44 Posted by ModernAlkemie (358 posts) -

I thought the story of the original was completely forgettable, so I guess I don't really care. I'm much more interested in whether they will be able to more fully deliver on the interesting gameplay ideas of the original. I associate that gameplay and the visual aesthetic as the hallmarks of the series and not the characters/plot.

#45 Edited by NTM (7288 posts) -

Yeah, I thought it was a prequel. I don't see why they'd reboot it, but OK.

#46 Edited by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

I want Mirrors Edge to keep getting games in the franchise and every single time its a fucking reboot or re imagining of the story that would be so fantastic.

#47 Posted by Hamst3r (4462 posts) -

@zeik said:

@landon said:

"Mirror's Edge: 2"

Because the story revolves around two main characters.

#48 Posted by OurSin_360 (840 posts) -

Well that's stupid, i hope they mean prequel. Even if it's a prequel why call it mirrors edge 2? Just take out guns and make it longer

#49 Posted by TheHT (10933 posts) -

I don't care, I just want more awesome first-person parkour!!

#50 Posted by RonGalaxy (2919 posts) -

Pretty sure it's a prequel.