So did anyone else get this yesterday?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So I was looking at the new releases and in between the like six versions of WatchDogs on PSN I saw that Monster Monpiece had finally released. It seemed like a horrible waste of my money so of course I bought it.

I'm just wondering if anyone has played it yet by the time It finished downloading I was too damn tired to play anything and headed straight to bed. I also really really wish this would get a quick look. Not going to happen but I can sure dream.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By baka_shinji17

I have a confession: sometimes I buy games just because they are obscure and Japanese and I can say I'm into them. That being said, I might get this. The idea of owning a Vita is becoming more and more tempting with each mediocre yet kawaii game that comes out.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Of course you bought this.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, is it good? I need to know cause I'm just about down with my other weird japanese game Conception 2

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: Heh I buy this stuff under much of the same motivation. I've got a ton of NISA , Compile Heart and Idea Factory games sitting on my shelf un-opened simply because I like supporting all the weird dumb shit that these companies are bringing out even if they aren't the highest of quality games.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I remember reading a little about this game when it was released. I'd be interested to hear from some duders that picked it up as to how it is. I've been wanting to play a card game recently just not sure this is the right one.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#7 riostarwind  Moderator

I've never been one to enjoy card based games much although I tend to buy them every now and then. I'm more likely to pick up the other obscure Vita game this week Mind=0.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only reason I know of this game

I have no idea what the game is about other than the above video. The screenshots on the PSN store page made it look like a card battle game and I'm not into that.

Yeah, like @riostarwind said, I'd be more likely to pick up MIND=0, but I just finished Demon Gaze and I don't really want more first person dungeon crawling right now.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure a description for a game could put me off any more than this.

An online card game for the Vita, featuring fantasy monsters anthropomorphized as anime girls.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EthanielRain

I want to, but I...I'm embarrassed. Rubbing and pinching anime tits is a core mechanic.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to, but I...I'm embarrassed. Rubbing and pinching anime tits is a core mechanic.

Hahahaha! I love obscure Japanese shit, but even THIS might be a bit much for me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

Isn't this the game where you meet monster girls and then you have to rub them using the Vita screen until their clothes pop off and they level up?

Classy.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:
@ethanielrain said:

Hahahaha! I love obscure Japanese shit, but even THIS might be a bit much for me.

Doing so gives you "P. Rub" points, which you use to level up your characters. When they level, their outfits get skimpier. Of course, as they undress - er, level up - you'll have to "P Rub" more and more times to continue.

Far be it from me to look down on someone for "P Rubbing" when need be, but I think that's a bit much for me too.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By MetalBaofu

I play my fair share of weird Japanese anime stuff, but I could not be less interested in this game. Just doesn't seem fun at all to me.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been itching for a trading card game to play on the Vita, but I'd rather not make masturbatory motions on my Vita, so I'll give this one a pass.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hearthstone ain't got shit on this!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Of course you bought this.

That's what I was going to say.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee
@ethanielrain said:

lol of course it is. I continue to be frustrated (yet not all that surprised) that rubbish like this continues to import over, and yet Yakuza 5 & Ishin are still being held hostage over there.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@ethanielrain said:

lol of course it is. I continue to be frustrated (yet not all that surprised) that rubbish like this continues to import over, and yet Yakuza 5 & Ishin are still being held hostage over there.

It actually looks kinda fun, like a cross between CCG and tactics games. But I just can't :) Make a hell of a Jeff QL though. Creeper cam 2!

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@ethanielrain said:

Man I hope that word play was intentional because it's pretty great.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

@heyguys said:

@yummylee said:
@ethanielrain said:

Man I hope that word play was intentional because it's pretty great.

I'd wanna play it cool and masquerade as if whatever I've done was completely, 100% intentional... but nah :P. I still can't quite see what my wordplay was tbh! Is it ''rubbish'' having the same first three letters as ''rubbing''? If so, that's just the UK term for garbage/trash (by which I mean rubbish, not rubbing! O_O) and there wasn't much thought behind me typing it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

ahahahah this is an online trading card game with anime catgirls? well not for me but cool to see the vita getting a wide range of weird stuff.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HeyGuys

@yummylee: Yeah it's mostly "rubbish" being a clever, intentional or not, way of describing a bad game who's central mechanic is rubbing the screen.

"Frustrating" was also a funny choice of words given the sexual nature of the game.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This game is at like 4.9/5 on PSN with 128 reviews after only a day. That seems way high for a niche Japanese game, especially one so far down the rabbit hole.

I love supporting weird stuff, and have next to no shame, so this is intriguing me.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ike7779: Oh that's just classic selection bias, people buying and rating the game are people who already know they like these sorts of games. No matter what the game it is pretty rare to find ratings lower than three stars on something like the PSN. My guess is if you graphed them all out they would skew heavily towards four and five stars.

Still I looked at a few reviews and they said, other than the creepy rubbing stuff, the game was pretty good.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not gonna be judgmental in any way, but I just watched a video of a lady rubbing an anime ladies boob and then sparkles came out and she moaned.

This game looks like shit.

NinjaBlast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it yesterday and played it for about an hour and a half. So far the rubbing mechanic hasn't come to play, but the battle mechanics are really good. If you look up reviews. I found two that gave it a 7/10 and both said it is a great game brought down by the required rubbing mechanic. If you can get past the ridiculous rubbing mechanic than you'll enjoy this game.

I was arguing between this and Mind Zero, but after hearing some early impressions of the game it seems like the lessor game (quality wise).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, finally played a bit of it. The combat seems cool and there are a bunch of little things like swiping the screen to open card packs that are nice touches. Honestly the game seems fine. I guess it just comes down to if you're embarrassed by anime boobs or not.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I played some more this morning and unlocked the rubbing. And I have to say the most shameless thing about this game isn't the anime boobs or the rubbing its the amount of microtransactions in the game. Now, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised by this this has been a "thing" with Idea Factory and Compile Heart games for well basically forever...

The thing that irks me here is that those games are almost all single player JRPGs of sorts so any boosters you buy are at your own discretion. Here, there is an online element so if you want to spend $20 buying card packs with guaranteed rares you can stack your deck from the very beginning and go thwomp people online right away. This is equally distressing seeing as some items like seal stones can ONLY be gotten by playing multiplayer. Seal stones which are used in some cases to let you further upgrade your cards.

I will say though that despite obvious lack of quality in the translation effort the story so far while not fantastic is serviceable enough that its keeping my attention and making me wan to continue playing. The last card based game I played was Culdcept Saga on Xbox 360 and I had tons of fun with that. Which if you guys like Card games seriously, go check that game out there are no anime boobs or rubbing either so you're safe.

But seriously check out this list of DLC: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/monster-monpiece/cid=UP0031-PCSE00373_00-MONSTERMONPIECE1%3AADD-ONS

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By ike7779

The biggest sin this game commits is not letting you take ANY screenshots, not even dialog or gameplay.

No Caption Provided

What could it possibly have to hide?

But I'll say I am enjoying the gameplay, seems like a smart mix of games like MTG, Hero Academy, and Hearthstone. All games I've been interested in trying. Hope I don't get too deflated by the microtransactions. I don't plan on playing online so maybe that will help.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

My friend was sending me Snapchats with pictures of the weird Rubbing mechanic text... I kind of want to buy it just to see the weirdness.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

An Idea Factory game? Really Demo?

Miku ain't gonna like that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy: If I won't cover all the low budget sexually pandering garbage WHO WILL? I can't allow for this gap in coverage at Giantbomb.

@ike7779: Yeah the snapshots thing is annoying. I think it has to do with legal mumbo since all the art is done by 3 famous Japanese artists. Still,its annoying.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Aviar

Too bad we couldn't get @patrickklepek to check this out for us. Thought he was our new Japanese anime game tester.

@demoskinos Thanks for posting all your thoughts, I am still on the fence about this one. I'm just not sure what the wife would say as I'm sitting there playing this one! I think the thing that really threw me on the fence were the micro-transactions. Kind of disappointed they are charging the $30 bucks for the game then trying to get us to drop more coin on it. I agree with you on Culdcept. I picked up Culdcept first on the PS2 then on the 360 and love that game. It's a great mixture of Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering which is a very interesting collaboration but it works great.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@aviar said:

Too bad we couldn't get @patrickklepek to check this out for us. Thought he was our new Japanese anime game tester.

@demoskinos Thanks for posting all your thoughts, I am still on the fence about this one. I'm just not sure what the wife would say as I'm sitting there playing this one! I think the thing that really threw me on the fence were the micro-transactions. Kind of disappointed they are charging the $30 bucks for the game then trying to get us to drop more coin on it. I agree with you on Culdcept. I picked up Culdcept first on the PS2 then on the 360 and love that game. It's a great mixture of Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering which is a very interesting collaboration but it works great.

Just started playing the other day and

1. Aside from one story specific instance where you have to do the rub minigame (as a tutorial and to unlock the option), you pretty much decide when you're going to do the embarrassing stuff.

2. The game zooms in really tightly on areas and you have to pan around and find "weak points" to tap/rub. It's very pat your head, rub your belly, not fun, and not at all titillating. You're too focused on finding the spot that triggers stars and mining them for as much meter progess as possible before the time runs out to even have it register what you're ostensibly doing. If you succeed, the card "evolves" into a more powerful form with less clothing.

Really important though: As currency for these chances at an upgrade, you earn P.Rub by performing well in combat. Rank SS (highest), you get enough PP to level two basic cards up one level, and it grows exponentially from there. Or fail twice, like I just did on Hydra.

MOST IMPORTANT: I tried reloading my save, the P.Rub currency REMAINS SPENT. That's just messed up.

The plot is sweet and cute though, it belongs more in a kids game. It's basically all-female Pokemon, and Pikachu helps female Ash discover her confidence and her inner strength as a Pokemon trainer.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By bsstephan

I enjoy that the actual gameplay of this is pretty good. Not saying it's for everyone or that the rubbing won't be offputting to some, but it scratches a deck building itch really well. I have no shame in saying that I'm fine with doing the rub stuff to get better cards to play with. Kind of agree with @onan above me though, the actual finding of weak points in the rubbing stuff is so frustrating at times that I can't see how anyone would really get enjoyment out of it. Especially since you have to hold the Vita oddly in the first place to do the panning. It's all kind of fumbly and awkward (maybe that's subtle commentary). I've actually lost at it, and that's what really makes you ask what the hell it is you're doing.

Also, yeah, the P.Rub currency remains spent, the game autosaves everything except story progress to keep you from save scumming for cards. I think they mention that early on.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cat_herder

Since there's no other forum posts in the last year for this I imagine this will fall on deaf ears. Picked this game up in February when it was on sale for $9; just got around to playing it because that sale also coincided with the release of MH4U.

Someone come play multiplayer with me! It's dead in here. The best cards need to be unlocked with multiplayer currency which is cruel in a game like this.

AdamT85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AdamT85

I still have it installed. I'm not very good. PSN: USMCadam

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By donchipotle

I might, but I'm much more interested in that idol group RPG that I saw the other day.

I'll probably put this on the burner.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamt85: I sent you a friend request, my PSN is Cat-Herder-

@donchipotle: Any chance you remember the name?