Okay disclaimer time:
If you want deep comparisons, you'll not find them here.
If you want anything but my own personal opinions, you'll not find it here.
If you want to be a dick..that's up to you, but it would be pointless.
I have a terrible sense of humour, you have been warned.
Steam ID is Jazz and my LoL ID is JazzGB or Ahriman Efreet
Lolking link to my profile - link
Dota2 only keeps public match records - yet to play anything but bot - will update.
Week 1 can be found here
Here I go again..on my own..going down the only road I've ever known...
So the news In brief:
- During Sunday I tired Heroes of Newerth, DOTA and Infinite Crisis. Well I downloaded the installer of infinite crisis looked at a video and went 'nope'. HoN was just...boring and ran like jank on my janky laptop (more on that later) and DOTA..well..those creeps sure do move, amirite?
- My Lee Chaolan is ready. So very ready.
- Fantastic Four is really about seeing Jessica Alba's knickers as many times as possible. Like Twilight is about the story of the missing Armadillo in the lab scene..where did it go? Why did it leave? Why was it there in the first place then not? What's it's background? Question going to the heart of Twilight.
- Oh and HoN has a monkey courier. Just..if that makes any difference to you. It does to some.
So over the weekend I had a look as to what the roles are in a moba. Having played WoW for enough time to question my life choices I get the 'holy' trinity of Tank/DPS/Healer..but it gets more complicated in mobas. A major part of the game is farming and last hitting - it makes you feel like you're actually doing something (gaining money to get better weapons) overcoming the need to take someone's farm when you're a support - or just learn what a support role is in a moba in my case - kinda goes against our nature as gamers. Click to kill, click to loot - instant gratification.
Which leads me to today's happy happy happy joy joy joy times.
Life kinda went a bit screwy for me today. I had plans to go teach in Korea - but that seems to have fallen through so now I'm trying to secure a PGCE course before the end of the summer..had to apply through UCAS this morning (If you're not from the UK just think..forms, pain, forms..anger, forms) so not much time to play anything but LoL this afternoon.
- To warm up I thought I'd play a game with Morgana as a mid. Farm started well, was having fun and then - connection error. So I tried to reconnect..no dice. It was complaining about my firewall. No problem before - checked firewall, fine. Decided to quit out. It threatened me with a timeout ban..seriously? It's not my fault your servers have gone wackadoo. We were all kicked out. It eventually sorted itself out, but that was half an hour of wasted time.
- Next game..whew..okay take a look here. I called mid and was greeted by 'Germany???' and then 'French???' An auspicious start.
- I went my merry way to mid...followed by Taric (luckyyluc). I asked him to politely get out of my lane to which I get no response. The others started pinging like crazy to try and get him to move to no avail. Concluded he was a newbie with no language skills and decided to leave him.
- Naturally my farm was rather depleted as he would rush in and take some of it - luckily Taric isn't that effective at farming at that level compared to me.
- After a while other lanes started having problems, I was underlevelled and having a hard time - so when I went to support those lanes we'd get stomped.
- Had a great moment of being chased by 4 gankers, only to lose them in the grass..oh AI you so dumb.
- We lost Zac first - he just gave up. Tryn followed close behind. It just left me, Taric and Gator boy.
- Around the 30 min mark Taric suddenly said 'GO BOT!' to which I nearly covered my computer with lemonade. Turns out he does know something. Though my favourite was 'Last Level :)' as if it was Super Meat Boy or something.
- We eventually rallied and won - but it took a long time and it was painful.
- Game 2 with Twisted Fate crashed out once we won, but I think i'm getting the hang of his cards. It's a hell of a lot of fun to bait the AI, yellow card, run then blue card them for the kill. TF is probably my second favourite after Morgana. I had attack speed through the roof and was just burning through everything - well I went top and Master Yi decided that he was the carry so I just tried to support who I could and gank the AI when I could.
- I need to get rid of my habit of running straight. Abilities tend to hit in straight lines (Miss Fortune's ridiculous ult)
So final thoughts
- Positioning still needs to be worked on, need to drop the running straight habit. Zigzagging is probably best. Ganking works at 45 degree angles apparently.
- Need to work on my understanding of the roles and how best to adapt to the situation. Teams don't play around you - you need to integrate and work with the team.
- Against the AI i'm beginning to work out who will be mid (as I tend to play there) against me as they just keep shoving out Ryze or Annie. So spell blocking is a must.
- Punishing people for leaving once is dumb - should be 3 times and your out in pub games.
- I found out today that the other side can see what card TF has lined up. That's...I can understand that you need to see there's a card coming but the colour? That's broken right there - but I suppose you can use it to play mind games. Everyone runs from gold when it's blue they should be scared of.
- mwhahahahahahaha - cough - blue cards.
- It's inevitable but I'm going to have to find a team to play with eventually of about the same skill level as me in order to continue with this blog. Playing alone probably won't cut it beyond another week or so - so if there's anyone wanting to start playing or are just as crap as I am please get in contact.
Hope this is as popular as the last post - let's keep it rolling people.
Like a drifter I was born to play aloooneeee
So our usual news round up:
- ...nope, no news today (oh boy) about an unlucky guy who didn't make the grade..the news was rather sad, but you had to laugh...I saw the photograph..
I spent a fair amount of time (in my news feed) checking out the Red Posts on LoL. As someone who is interested in how the mechanics of these games work I find them fascinating, not least in how the..cough..'fans' react to an almost impossible situation. I just picked up on the following but there's tons more in the posts:
For instance - balancing Lee Sin. Ghostcrawler (is this WoW Ghostcrawler? As in 'where's my pony?') gave this reply in answer to why haven't they nerfed Lee Sin?
Champions are coolest, in our opinion, when they have distinct strengths and weaknesses. (This is why we describe champs that are just balls of stats as a bad thing and try to update them.) Moreover, when balancing champs, we achieve the best results when we buff things a champ is good at and nerf things a champ is weak at. This opens up opportunities for cool moments when a champ leverages their strengths, but still leaves clear opportunities for counterplay.
The problem with Lee Sin is that while he has some really cool things he does well, he doesn't have obvious weaknesses that we can enhance in order to open up windows to try and shut him down. This means we have to invent a weakness, which is a dicey prospect, because it means having to redefine a champion's role. "Oh, you only thought Lee was great at mobility and that's why you played him, but we just decided that should be something he's bad at instead. So sorry." (Just an example obviously.) That doesn't absolve us of the responsibility to balance him, but it means it takes more exploration than just nerfing his Q or whatever.
Xenalth went on to say:
Look, I get it. You're upset, you're frustrated. You feel like the diversity of champions that should exist is being crushed by Lee Sin. You are sick of seeing the same thing over and over again. It sucks.
I hate when I want to jungle it up and see yet-another-lee-sin-invade steal my buffs and being unable to punish the **** out of him for it. (Cuz he just ward hops away, woo hoo!)
At the same time - look at what happened last year when we got close to worlds and made some tweaks to Tri-Force. The result was that it distorted the entire competitive scene for worlds, potentially invalidating months of build-up and expertise.
Now, I am not saying there aren't tweaks to Lee Sin that would push him out of Worlds. The perfect solution might even be in this thread. What I am saying is that to find, evaluate and iterate on that solution takes time and causes ripple effects on the rest of the game.
Lee Sin has become a jungle-defining staple because he has no weaknesses. This is why the long-term solution Ghostcrawler described is the right one - and will probably cause some pain along the way. Once Lee's out of the way, who are the next three champs to surge to the front? They could make the game just as bad, if not worse.
When we hit a champ like Lee, we want to do our jobs and do our jobs right. Thank you for holding us to that standard. We'd also be doing you a disservice if we didn't tell you that the right solution isn't easy"
This is obviously a big issue with some champions in League and rebalancing them means rebalancing the whole game. I have yet to find anything like these posts in relation to DOTA2 which is a shame - as they do show the mindset of these guys. Balancing a fighter with 12 characters is hard enough - imagine 100+.
Anyway on we go:
- I had a really tough time with DOTA2 today - I think I put in about 2 1/2 hours or something but didn't really enjoy myself at all. Again it was the 'try a bunch of characters' out and see what fit. I actually went random a couple of times for that lovely random gold.
- Venomancer - with Viper taking the top on venom..things I'm not sure why this guy exists, is he a support? Not really my scene.
- Ursa - nope.
- Weaver - interesting mechanics and the invisibility is cool. Not a pick but not disliked.
- Axe: oh hell no.
- Spirit Breaker - nope
- Clinkz - ye...no.
- Magnus - interesting buff but no
- Queen of Pain - Really? Really Valve?...but fun to play.
- Phantom Assassin - cool, evasion is neat and the passive ult is pretty damn strong.
- Nature's Prophet - I'm over here, nope over here, nope over here..nope.
- Lich - his ult is insane in an enclosed space with a bunch of heroes but nah.
- Back to Phantom Lancer - I watched Dendi (never trust a guy who could have named himself after a DBZ character) and he went gloves of haste first buuut he kinda got stomped. Anyway interesting to note that dopplewalk (or whatever itself called) last 20 seconds as opposed to spear's 8 seconds. More procs are never a bad thing. I played a game that was tough going.
- I know it's probably noobish to complain but the tower in mid makes no fucking sense (not that I play Lancer in mid..i don't but I've just thought about it) It can hit you from MILES away even if there are creep ahead of you and you haven't attacked the turret. Ergh. I hate mid in DOTA.
- One game of League after my lackluster DOTA game. I mainly wanted the IP boost for first win, and I'll be honest - I wanted to play TF again.
- I bought some runes (attack speed, AP and Damage - 3 bronze) and redid my masteries - attack speed and mana with one in movement.
- League quits on me as soon as the match finishes, just started doing it and I have no idea why.
- Anyway went top by myself - had a Warwick jungler, Black orb woman, sivar? and Master Yi.
- Super super aggressive shen and large ice troll dude tried to shut me down quiet a bit..I was surprised how aggressive they were as they tended to go after me rather than farm.
- I was doing okay farming and pressuring the AI till everyone else decided my lane was fair game to farm - most were 3 levels behind me at that point - thus I started to lose my farm.
- Much feeding was done by pretty much everyone but myself and Warwick.
- Ashe just destroys everyone, even I, with levels on her, had a hard time due to her range.
- I went ring - sheen - boots - lich (we we're taking a pounding and I couldn't farm or gank at the time) - cap - whatever.
- Started pushing back and we eventually won - again late game TF is just...stupid powerful if kitted properly. Those cards demolish creeps and keep going - though I would question the hit detection at the very end of their range. Pretty sure I hit a guy twice and would have killed him.
Final Thoughts of the Day:
- Today's Dota2 and LoL made me realise that I'm going to eventually have to pick one of these to learn otherwise my head will explode. I'm tentatively going to say that I will consider my options around the month mark. That doesn't mean I'll stop playing both - it just means I'll put more of my energy into one than the other.
- Pubs are hard work - especially when you're not the greatest thing ever yourself.
- I would pay to put TF into DOTA2.
- I would also pay to put Phantom Lancer into LoL.
- I think I'm finally coming to a decision as to my prefered playstyle in each game
- What the hell is equilibrium (and no not that Bale movie)
I think it's time to work out what exactly I need to learn. I think I've probably got a handle on most of the basics.
- Warding is something I need to learn -
- last hitting I'm okay with - but could be better
- Efficient money spending/item selection probably needs work
- Positioning, right angles still need work.
- Ganking - timing..a lot of this is down to working with a team.
- Pinging - i never do it. Probably should.
Thats all for today - thanks for the comments and I'll be back tomorrow..probably.
but I made up my mind..I ain't wastin' no more time
The news in brief:
- There's been a massive clamp down on posts recently - some of it necessary, some of it not. I've been here since beta and some of the recent behaviour by both mods and users has really let this site down. I sympathise with the mods, but you can overdo it. Hopefully this is just another transitional phase but...internet drama is just so pathetic.
- Thanks to CorruptedEvil (Flame Please hihihihiii) I got into the Strife beta as suggested by Tunaburn. Unfortunately the installer is kinda broken. It tried to install directx silently and gets nowhere. Even going through with admin privilages and installing the DX package that comes with it doesn't work. I'll have to download and reinstall - it does seem to be doing some interesting things with the formula.
- Of course Lady Thor has to have a midriff..Odin's beard if she has full armour or something.
- http://www.twitch.tv/exilic is a new stream on Twitch that features our own Gunslingerpanda. Check it out when you have a chance.
- On my day off I found I had an almost perfect model for the Drow so:
So I should probably state that I haven't really played anything today. I tried making a video of the stuff from last night (which some of you probably saw) but that went wrong too. So lets start off with what happened last night and move on from there:
- Gunslingerpanda was kind enough to join me for a botmatch - which you can watch here http://www.twitch.tv/exilic/b/547841476
- Unfortunately I was suffering from severe super lag due to someone watching netflix downstairs (without me knowing) so...that would partially explain that. I enjoy playing Phantom Lancer but I feel that I have no idea how to make him threatening until late game.
- We then were joined by TobbRobb (the artist formerly known as TR) who was trolling me through most of the botmatch pretending he was Luna.
- My first PvP match and the MMR was out of whack, there were Russians everywhere and an angry American. It was perfect. As much as I like Viper I did not feel that I really knew how to maximise his? potential and once Tobb went off up top to help NP and I got cornered by two characters I had never even seen before..well..the Russians won. NP was not best pleased.
- I'm not entirely sure what NP was up to has he didn't seem to be much interested in pushing or jungling.
- Enigma black hole...jesus.
- Now it's a real shame that most of you didn't get to see our League match cause..well..oh my it was hilarious. I flew my TF flag again in mid..probably having a better idea of what I was doing than in DOTA2. I was up against a level 30 player Diana. Tobb was all like 'oh you can zone her out'...3 mins in I was having real issues. Masteries and Runes make all the difference and the MMR was jacked as I was with 2 level 30s. Once she hit level 6 though...ooooooh boy.
- It was a massacre. I think throughout the game (which I think we acquitted ourselves well in, especially Panda and his gelatinous zak of doom) she alone got 25 kills while the rest of the team had 1-3 each. It was madness.
- It seemed we all spent our game in mid ganking each other...every 5 seconds it was 'DIANA'S BACK..RUN!' to 'EVERYONE ON DIANA'...even a random Vayne stepped up and took hits for us so we could kill Diana.
- I only made one Lady Di joke...and that was bad enough.
- We actually managed to push them back to their base a couple of times but once they got Baron...it was MDK.
So a great great thanks to Tobb and Panda (having watched the stream Panda's grimacing at some of my jokes is priceless) for putting up with my idiocy once again. I had great fun running around like a maniac but it's probably time to start taking it a wee bit more seriously....ah who am I kidding?
- As it stands League is miles ahead in the fun stakes at the moment - probably due to me finding characters that suit my playstyle and the more 'actiony' method of playing.
- Playing against higher level players is tough..especially when they actually co-ordinate. We didn't co-ordinate at all and it was hilarious.
- My first two proper pvp games ended in defeat..not that I'm surprised but things can only get better, ne?
- I was really rather nervous of playing pvp in league cause I didn't want to let the team down.
- The video that Southern Dandy posted in the comments was a great help and I will be looking at the rest of them.
So thanks again for all the comments - I'll try and integrate your suggestions a bit more thoroughly as I feel I've been a little lax recently, more interested in 'goofing off than winning' as Americans might say.
Playing in a smokey room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume..it goes on and on and on and on.
aka - 'Jungling Karma is legit' - Gunslingerpanda
- Serious Sam 3 looks like shit on the ps3 but plays great - at only 800+megs and the wide open spaces you can understand..but god the textures are awful. It's just when you hear that sound...that's when you know you're playing a Serious Sam game.
- Still can't get Strife to work..odd.
- Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders still stands up today and remains one of my favourite games of all time.
Alrighty then. Once again I was joined by Gunslingerpanda for some hijinks..and shenanigans.
- We started off in DOTA in a bot match. I think Panda played Bloodseeker and really got into it. I was playing, I'm going to say PL again but I honestly don't remember. My connection kept cutting out all the time - pro tip BT Internet sucks, and if I had any choice in that matter I would use someone else but living in the countryside you don't get that much of an option.
- We then transitioned to a random pick pvp game with..you guessed it..a bunch of mumbly russians.
- Best. Game. Ever.
- We lost by the way but that's not the point.
- I went Windrunner, Panda went Dazzle for the lols.
- Our opposing team had no invisibility using people..none.
- I was asked to buy some wards..which I did (yellow) and got told I needed to buy blue.
- Neither Panda nor myself understood wtf..but we went along with it.
- This guy (who was playing Templar Assassin btw..really really badly, even I could tell that) proceeded to cover the top left area of the map in blue wards. It..was...hilarious.
- All of the wards..all of them. Never thinking to just use his ult to save time and money
- Oh and Legion Commander proceeded to feed the other team like a...kamikaze pilot? Does that simile even work? And Zeus was all like 'fuck this I'ma go see Leda' and he..swanned off.
- Operation 'Courier' then commenced..unfortunately they were not able to win us the match, but they tried really hard..especially that bird one.
- On the more serious side I enjoyed windrunner as she reminded me of Lux in many ways..I'm going to try more with her.
- We then went into League where I played Morgana and Panda played (and was determined to do so) a jungler Karma. I have no idea if this is a thing or not but he was cackling to himself for a while there...
- We only played a botmatch so it was easy enough to stomp them. I think I'm getting a better handle on Morgana and her shield ability. Saved me (and others) a couple of times from nasty spells.
I then spent most of today checking out some more heroes in DOTA2 - just so that I can have a idea of what I could be playing and what I could be up against: Again I realise that playing them in botmatches is not exactly how they would be played in actual PvP matches and a lot of stuff I get away with would not fly..
- On the suggestion of one of you guys (forgive me I don't have the comments here right now) I tried Slardar. I'm really not that kind of player, odd as it may sound after going on about PL so much (Cancer Lancer? Seriously..what did he ever do to you? Shit in your water?) It's difficult to articulate but he just didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
- Doom: Or Vic as I call him.. I really enjoyed playing this guy. Going jungling, taking abilities, throwing down a regen/burn and then dooming everyone. He's just fun.
- Anti-Mage: I feel that you need a decent support/player around you to be take advantages of the openings..you ain't gonna get that with bots.
- Enchantress - It's great taking a levl 6 mob with you at level 1 but..ehh too skippy.
- Riki: OMF..no I'm kidding. He's fun but I can see that he would be shut down asap by any proper team.
- Spectre: This was an interesting one - I liked a lot of her abilities and the passives are cool. Get a hero by themselves and thats a quick kill if they don't stun you.
- Sniper - Dat Ult...ooh boy.
- Templar Assassin. I need more experience to understand her role. She seems to be a semi-carry assassin and of all the characters I've played so far I like her the most - I just wish I was better with her.
- I'm getting there. I'm beyond the point where I take damage from creeps, spam mana, stand in dumb places, get in front of the creep wave, refuse to buy wards/tp scrolls.
- I'm coming up on 30 hours for DOTA and I've only played (and lost) two games against people.
- Need to learn more about Wind and Templar..might also look into Doom and Spectre more.
- Must remember to play more Crystal Maiden.
- Last hits without being attacked by creeps probably needs work.
- Map awareness.
- More Wards..all the wards. ALL OF THEM.
- Jungle Karma is legit yo.
Thanks for the comments and bearing with me through the long learning process.
Don't stop feeding..hold on to that feeling..team fights, heroes oohohooohooohooo
aka 'I can't type /dance into a console MMO' - Gunslingerpanda
- Having a 3mb line sucks - it takes nearly a day and a half to download the Destiny Beta.
- I'm not even buying Destiny.
- Thunderstorms last night cut the power - luckily I wasn't downloading.
- Why the fuck haven't sony patched in the ability to pause downloads on the ps4? It's not difficult to understand why it's necessary. You can do it on the ps3.
- DO NOT FEED LU BU.
So I've been hitting DOTA2 pretty hard, and it's hit me pretty hard back. One of my scores in a botmatch yesterday was 0/11/4. A bot match. That's not to say I was entirely alone in my inability to accurately play the game yesterday but..yeah, no one sucked THAT hard but me. I'll spare you guys the details beyond the fact that I took a long hard look at myself in the mirror afterwards (figuratively speaking). I play games to have fun, not really to win, but despite the great company..that wasn't really much fun at the end there.
As a result my gaming was rather subdued today (that and the heat is oppressive). I had planned just to play Drakengard 3 till Destiny was done but..haha nope. Right back into DOTA2.
- I played some more bot matches with some guys I haven't tried..as much as I love Templar Assassin that just hurt too much yesterday.
- Disrupter/or? I didn't really enjoy playing as this guy...can't give you an exact reason beyond 'gallic shrug' meh.
- Silencer - cool. I liked his abilites, the fact he's ranged (I'm not a melee guy with PL being the exception) and his ability to silence everyone at once.
- Skywrath - noo, no no no no no no.
- Morphling: Too complicated
- Illi..I mean Shadowblade: Again, fun. I do seem to like illusions don't I? His megasuperbuff pew pew mode is fun too.
- Huskar - I loved this guy. I like Trolls as par of the course, but attack speed up when damaged? Flame Spears that damage you? Jumps and healing? Great fun.
- Bounty Hunter - I tried again but goddamn bots won't follow my lead..they drove me mad today, running off halfway through a fight when the other side were low health and then they ganked me..happen 3 times.
- Tusk - I like his Ice wall thing, didn't have a chance to use his snowball due to shitty AI again.
- Apologies for the brevity but it's been tough going this past day.
- Wards, blinking and probably just playing with people now and ruining their games instead of getting pissed with the bots is the way to go.
- League will return soon, I just want to get better at DOTA first..or at least win one game goddamnit.
- I got nothing else - hit the bottom of the DOTA barrel. But the only way now is up.
- I'm taking tomorrow off so I'll be back on Sunday night.
Stick with me..I'll get through this whiney part and get back to the headsmacking nonsense.