#1 Edited by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -

The next gen is here, you guys. It looks like it's just the IGN review out there right now, but I assume others will be coming in the near future (it's unclear what the exact embargo situation is for PS4 and Xbox One games).

The NBA 2K franchise has been living above the rim for years, and it looks like this is yet another slam dunk for them. It also looks like this is going to be one of the games out there that really justifies next gen with an impressive upgrade to the visuals.

...and before anyone asks - 1080p/60fps on both PS4 and Xbox One.

IGN - 8.9 / 10

Next-gen NBA 2K14’s ambitious new modes each leave a bit to be desired, and for better and for worse, it plays almost identically to the game you may already own. But this edition is not only a smooth-flowing piece of pro basketball simulation, it’s also one of the few games that makes a true next-generation leap in visual fidelity.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

The on-court action in NBA 2K14 isn't markedly different from the way the current generation versions play, which means its excellent, and by far the best we've ever seen in virtual basketball. What's so remarkable is how the upgraded visuals enhance the overall experience. Smooth animations and lifelike faces aren't just eye candy; they affect you on an emotional level

GamesRadar - 4 / 5

While the majority of the on-court improvements are brilliant, they’re let down by certain aspects of the presentation that either feel old or imperfectly implemented. Don’t misunderstand: this is absolutely the best version of NBA 2K14, but despite the big visual and storytelling improvements, the game has brought plenty of baggage with it from current-gen.

#2 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3444 posts) -

Man this reminds me of when the original 2k games came out on the dreamcast. I remember seeing those games at a best buy and thinking that was breathtaking.

#3 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

I cant wait when NBA live reviews happen.

#4 Posted by oldenglishC (960 posts) -

It's a huge bummer that this game isn't part of the ten dollar upgrade program.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

This looks so damn good. And honestly, I love how goofy the MyCareer looks. And a huge feature: new character creator! That's giant to me.

#6 Posted by erhard (409 posts) -

I don't care about sports games and especially not basketball games, but what I've seen of the visuals looks amazing.

#7 Posted by Vinny_Says (5712 posts) -

The last team sports game I ever bought was NHL 2005 (the shitty one). I don't care for basketball but maybe it's time I played me some sports games! Looks great!

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

Lebron, with no regard for human life!

#9 Posted by BigJeffrey (5022 posts) -

Can the Xbox One even render Lebron's ego?

#10 Edited by csl316 (8760 posts) -

I was gonna get this but the Lebron thing killed it for me.

But now I hear they replaced his dumb mode with an even dumber career mode? Honestly, I might be sold.

#11 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I cant wait when NBA live reviews happen.

There's still time to cancel the game, and that's where my money is

#12 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

I guess I'll be getting a ps4 this holiday season!

Your move, Live.

#13 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6229 posts) -

I haven't bought a basketball game since whatever the name of that NBA Street 360 game was, but this looks mighty fine. I might have to jump into it at some point. What's the big difference between this and... uhhh... that other basketball game? Which would be more accessible to someone who's never really played a sim basketball title? Which would have the longer staying power?

#14 Posted by RuthLoose (817 posts) -

Next-gen NBA Jam! Get on it!

#15 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: As of right now, I'm not sure if anyone really knows. The NBA 2k series is widely regarded as being better than the NBA Live series, but many people are willing to try out NBA Live 14 because it's something different. The NBA2k games have a bit of a learning curve with the controls, but once you familiarize yourself with them, you should be good to go.

If you wanna make a basketball decision, you may wanna wait till next week or so when both games are already out and people have voiced their opinions.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I was gonna get this but the Lebron thing killed it for me.

But now I hear they replaced his dumb mode with an even dumber career mode? Honestly, I might be sold.

Not sure why an optional mode would kill it for you... but this is just the same MyCareer mode with dumb (but kind of hilarious and awesome looking to me) story cut scenes in it. I guess the LeBron mode isn't in there though.

#17 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

Actually one other question: So are all the classic players in? I really really hope they are. That's my favorite part of the last few years of 2K games.

#18 Posted by Flappy (2273 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I've seen a video of Jordan's Bulls playing against the Heat, so I believe the answer is "Yes."

#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

@flappy said:

@artisanbreads: I've seen a video of Jordan's Bulls playing against the Heat, so I believe the answer is "Yes."

Great news for me man, thanks. I pretty much only play 2K now by combining the classic roster and current ones into a best of and doing a fantasy draft.

Lets just hope they are all in there. Sent out a couple tweets to those in the know so I'll post the replies if I get them.

EDIT: I tweeted Pasta Padre and he says at least some of them are in there, couldn't confirm if they all were.

#20 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Wow, I guess I might be switching from Live after all. I was never a big fan of 2K but I've seen too little of Live and everyone is speaking so highly of 2K14.

#21 Posted by JackBurt0n (65 posts) -

CANNOT WAIT. Wanna see next-gen Boogie!

#22 Posted by csl316 (8760 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I'm a stubborn Bulls fan with no love for the Heat. Having the box art in my home seems wrong.

#23 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@artisanbreads: I'm a stubborn Bulls fan with no love for the Heat. Having the box art in my home seems wrong.

I'm a Celtics fan who hates the Lakers but I bought the Magic cover of 2K12 and I had the Kobe cover from whichever year that was (and I HATE KOBE). Recognize greatness and great games! Fuck a cover.

Actually the custom covers they do every year are really cool. I'm sure there are Rose ones every year.

@jackburt0n said:

CANNOT WAIT. Wanna see next-gen Boogie!

They show some of Boogie in the IGN video review from the MyPlayer mode and his model looks amazing (as do they all). Not like the last jump where some players looked like mutants (Chris Kaman in particular), unless none of the mutant players just happened to be on screen.

#24 Edited by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -

More positive reviews are coming in, and it looks like this is definitely going to be one of the next gen games to get.

Plenty of great next gen gameplay to behold in the GameSpot video review. However, I can't necessarily say that I care for the way Tom McShea wrote it.