• 59 results
#1 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Neverwinter just entered open beta as of a couple of hours ago. There won't be a character wipe however, so it's essentially launched. Just a heads-up, for those of you who are interested in such a thing.

Just booting it for the first time right now myself. Feedback forthcoming. If it keeps my interest longer than 5 minutes that is. Good luck!

#2 Posted by Gantrathor (166 posts) -

Downloading now. I played it the last time they did a beta weekend thingy. I thought the combat was pretty monotonous, and the quests were very grindy, but compared the the other piles of crap that I've played in the free-to-play market Neverwinter seemed pretty solid. And I'm a sucker for anything in the D&D universe, so it has that going for it.

#3 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

Started today too, it's pretty fun so far. Nothing groundbreaking but entertaining.

Right now it is pretty unplayable though due to lag.

#4 Posted by Pazy (2553 posts) -

I got to play an couple hours on one of the key weekends recently and I enjoyed what I was playing. Sadly the Open Beta is kind of broken due to the amount of players so im going to check back in near the weekend.

#5 Edited by Scrawnto (2406 posts) -

HMMMM... I'll have to check this out sometime. I had a friend who played a bunch of D&D Online, but I couldn't get into that one, but I've always liked D&D's style.

#6 Posted by Ezakael (864 posts) -

It's nothing new or interesting and the setting has been done a thousand times before it but it's not bad. I don't think it has anything that will keep me coming back for more though. I'll continue playing it in the mean time and see if I'll change my mind.

#7 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Rolled a Half-Orc Guardian Fighter and named him Oddo Stoutheart. Played through the prologue. I'll say this much. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed what I've played of it thus far, despite the 800-2000 ping I'm playing with. It's oddly satisfying to cleave into undead hordes and send their corpses flying all ragdoll-like.

It's definitely worth my attention. I'll give it a proper shot once Cryptic gets some EU servers up and running, and the MMO growing pains, such as the ludicrous lag, are a problem of the past.

#8 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Ping got better. Qutie playable, so I played some more.

Did a player created quest. An hommage to Starz' "Spartacus" tv show. Was pretty damn neat. Started out with an archetypical arenaquest. I didn't expect more than that, but it branched out into a slave-freeing mission through a slaver camp, some woods, and finally the slaver stronghold, fighting lots of *named* characters from the show, and ending in a semi-topless dance party with all the freed slavegirls.

Really neat. Especially for playercreated content for a game that's barely out a week for early access guys.

P.S. I want a quicklook of this, like now...

#9 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Downloading it right now, but I don't expect anything because I know I will be disappointed, guess it's better than no NWN at all though.

#10 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1446 posts) -

weird, where do I get it? The page says nothing about an open beta. Maybe because I'm in germany?

#11 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Going to keep a watch on this as been curious about it & happy with the little bit of time spent with the other recent D&D MMO. Should be interesting to see how this one is done/

#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@2headedninja said:

weird, where do I get it? The page says nothing about an open beta. Maybe because I'm in germany?

Email sent me here to get it, hope that helps.

#13 Posted by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Onlinewelten has a decent FAQ regarding the open beta with all the relevant links. Just create an account at Perfect Worlds (or use your existing one). Torrent the client (direct download was extremely slow for me). Install, log-in, and you're good to go.

#14 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

My queue position keeps switching between around 14000 and 4000 instead of doing anything I'd expect a queue to do. Guess I'll play it later

#15 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

My queue position keeps switching between around 1400 and 4000 instead of doing anything I'd expect a queue to do. Guess I'll play it later

The queue could go up because of paying customers being prioritized. Earlier I had mine go from 3k to 100 back and forth but the 100 one was apparently the right one because I got in after a couple of minutes. I think something is going wrong there somewhere.

#16 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@chibithor said:

My queue position keeps switching between around 1400 and 4000 instead of doing anything I'd expect a queue to do. Guess I'll play it later

The queue could go up because of paying customers being prioritized. Earlier I had mine go from 3k to 100 back and forth but the 100 one was apparently the right one because I got in after a couple of minutes. I think something is going wrong there somewhere.

Yeah I think the 4000 one might be dropping, while the 14000 (missed a zero in the original post) is the same one every time. I'm not doing much so it's just sitting in queue, maybe I'll get in eventually.

#17 Edited by Eujin (1293 posts) -

As a heads up, per the official forums, the queue # jumping around is a display error.

#18 Edited by crusader8463 (14301 posts) -

It has a neat character maker. That's all I have seen so far. I alt tabbed back in and the que went from 4k to 40k. The RollPlay live Stream starts in about an hour so I don't think I'm going to get to play tonight.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

The small amount I played during closed beta left me uninterested in the game. I think a lot of that has to do with the hours upon hours I dumped into DDO.

My biggest problem is that Neverwinter doesn't hold completely true to the SYSTEMS of D&D, but instead just lifts the setting for the most part. That's just irritating to me. I should not be hitting THAT HARD at such an early level. D&D has always remained a "low numbers" RPG as a way to make every point of damage actually matter. Beyond that, I know they are also basing it around 4th Edition, which I fucking hate. 3.5, I can handle that. 2nd Edition AD&D? Okay. 4th Edition is a fucking atrocity, though.

Mind you, that was all during closed beta. I don't know what has changed since then, but I doubt it was a drastic overhaul of the entire game.

#20 Edited by Eujin (1293 posts) -

@jakob187: It kind of sounds like your biggest problem is that they're not basing the systems off your preferred edition D&D. Their interpretation of D&D 4E is pretty close, as far as you could make it from a turn based game into an action based one.

The only thing they don't really have is all of the powers for all of the classes, but that is because they're splitting the existing powers across the Recommended Builds (The Classes in games are Recommended builds for the existing classes from within the 4th edition PHB).

That being said, last beta weekend they went to a weird point buy system for powers, so you can kind of mix and match instead of getting everything as you level. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but overall I like the combat system.

Edit: To clarify, as some of my above statements sound harsh: Not liking the edition of D&D they're basing their ruleset off of is perfectly valid, but doesn't make the ruleset any less valid. Especially since non-remake official D&D games will never go back to older rulesets.

After some digging, I also just discovered that 4th Edition has now been out longer than both 3rd and 3.5 individually, and by the time 5th edition comes out (not planned until end of 2014), will have been out longer than both of them combined. Which is crazy.

#21 Edited by project343 (2807 posts) -

Haven't played open beta, but I had invested a significant amount of time in the prior weekend stuff. But pros and cons list:

+ Combat is engaging and very action-y
+ I like the structure of the world; heavily focused on one big city
+ Level design is neat; traps and hidden treasures improve the Cryptic formula of 'seemingly randomly generated grind templates' significantly
+ I really liked the 'event' stuff; it was a really cool way to funnel people toward doing things, and it helped negate the standard of the 'lonely MMO' themepark design.

- Cryptic needs to hire better modellers. Or something. It's nearly impossible to make a character who doesn't look like an abortion brought to life and aged up fifty years.
- Some of the worst quest text I've seen from a non-Asian MMO developer; it makes the pretty solid quest design almost unbearable.
- Really poorly optimized (anecdotal; might have changed)
- Piss-poor difficulty and XP tuning (might have changed); constantly under-levelled, constantly getting my ass handed to me
- Boring class selection; nothing that I, personally, care for

I'd recommend trying it, but I wouldn't strut around calling it the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#22 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

this fucking game has mimics. nearly gave me a heart attack, i just started spamming all my attacks and my daily.

#23 Edited by StarvingGamer (7547 posts) -

Dunno, maybe tomorrow I'll try to get through the queue again.

#24 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

I wasn't particularly impressed, but it's not bad either. It definitely has some good points and if it opens up more when you get deeper in, I could see it becoming a lot more engaging.

I expect it to turn heavily pay to win though, much like Star Trek Online did, with cash shop items doling out huge advantages.

#25 Edited by Krullban (975 posts) -

It has a quest/dungeon creator? That sounds potentially interesting.

#26 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

Played some more today. It's starting to wear out its welcome. The combat mechanics are extremely simplistic. For a game that's all about action combat, there's just not enough depth put into execution. Similar games with much better feeling action combat, such as Vindictus, do get repetitive quickly as well, and Neverwinter is no exception.

Guess I'm already done with this. It's kinda awesome for a spell, but classic MMO-hooks such as loot and leveling don't hold my interest anymore, and its core gameplay doesn't hold a candle to other experiences in the broader gaming landscape. So back to shooting/punching/kicking dudes in the face, racing cars, pilotging mechs, flying jets and choppers, and whatnot.

#27 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

I'd say it's pretty good, I've played a couple of MMORPG's before and like I said Neverwinter is pretty good...from the two hours I actually played so far. I'll see how long it manages to keep my interest.

And also I'm pretty disappointed to find that there are no bows in the game and no ranger class. I've read in the in-game chat that the ranger class will be added in the next patch, but will there be bows? I sure hope so.

#28 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

@seppli:You're not wrong about the gameplay. I don't see it changing up a whole lot at the endgame, especially considering how few skills you can get, not unlike Guild Wars 2. You like it, or you don't, or you like it for a while before it gets stale.

I expect the loot and more importantly the Foundry to keep me interested in this, both creating and playing other custom quests. There was a player quest I went through last night, I think it was called "A Knife in the Dark" or something like that. It was dialogue heavy, with dialogue choices and an investigation bit where you had to find a half-elf in an inn but needed to suss out which room he was staying in. Then there's some combat, a boss, and a chase that ends in a interesting turn of events.

Nothing particularly grandoise, but you could see the sort of things you can make with the tools. More RPG quests as opposed to MMO quests. Stuff like that is what'll keep me logging back in.

#29 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

I started as a guardian, but rolled a control wizard after a bit because I wasn't feeling it that much. So far the wizard is way more fun and involved. You get to teleport around choking guys to death, I can see myself playing this game for a bit.

#30 Edited by Seppli (9724 posts) -

@theht:

If I was into content creation, Neverwinter definitely would have a lot more longterm appeal. The Foundry stuff seems really quite amazing. Wonder if there's tools for creating cinematics and VOs too. Procedural lip-syncing via Kinect integration? One can only dream.

Neverwinter's concept with the Foundry sure has a ton of potential.

#31 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -
#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Now that we're on day two, how's the server load? I'm interested enough to want to check Neverwinter out but I don't want to deal with lag and connection drops.

#33 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

PROTIP: For the love of God, use µTorrent to download the client. I tried using various other download sites, but they're all borked.

#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14301 posts) -

@nasos100 said:

@crusader8463: where can i watch that?

They do their live shows here and the archived stuff you can only watch on the youtube channel unless you pay a monthly sub on the live stream. They do like 3-5 hour live shows once a week and then they upload it to youtube over the course of a week. They are on like week 12 right now IIRC, so if you are going in new you got some watching to do. You will want to start from the beginning as a lot of what makes the show so much fun is all the callbacks So having them spoiled or not knowing them would make the show a lot less enjoyable.

As someone who doesn't get to play DnD because he has no one to play with, that show lets me live vicariously through them. Before that all I had was the Penny Arcade stuff but they only do that once a year which sucks. I really wish Wizards would smarten the hell up and do an official weekly show with Chris Perkins already. Would kill for that.

#35 Posted by crusader8463 (14301 posts) -

As for the game, I finally just got in now with zero que. It's a really fun game so far after messing around with it for an hour. As someone who loved City of Heroes it's fun seeing some of the animations or sound effects and seeing that they are still reusing some of the same stuff. The combat seems like a lot more actiony City of Heroes. I will be interested to see if the simple nature of it hurts it in the long run. I just hope they can get new races and classes into the game asap. None of the ones at the start interest me that much.

Maybe it's just my server, but it seems that everyone and their dog is Tiefling. I didn't expect it to be so popular and I'm kind of glad now that I went with Human for a change from my usual MMO race selection.

#36 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

PROTIP: For the love of God, use µTorrent to download the client. I tried using various other download sites, but they're all borked.

Thanks for the advice. I'm cranking it down at a meg a second. I'll be seeding all day, too.

#37 Posted by Veektarius (4131 posts) -

I got into game far enough to see the class selection, then backed out. The only one that looked at all interesting was control wizard, and I'm not sure whether I'm interested enough in that. 5 classes isn't many.

#38 Posted by TheHT (10248 posts) -

Now that we're on day two, how's the server load? I'm interested enough to want to check Neverwinter out but I don't want to deal with lag and connection drops.

It's better. I didn't get any lag yesterday, but I did have to wait in a queue. Today it just loaded me right in, no waiting.

Never had an issue with connection drops.

#39 Posted by Icemo (623 posts) -

I'm level 15 now and the thing that starts to annoy me is insane aggro from enemies. Maybe it's because the tower district in the city of Neverwinter is quite narrow, but it's impossible to try to walk past enemies. They start running at you from 30 meters away and even if you stand still away from them, you will get attacked. So you have to fight every single enemy if you want to go somewhere, and once you want to go back, the enemies you killed a minute ago are all waiting for round two.

Thats why the combat starts to feel dry, since you can't explore the environment at all without fighting. I hope this will get better once you get out of the city of Neverwinter.

#40 Edited by StrikeALight (1111 posts) -

Has that MMO stank all over it. Fun watching someone else play for a little while, but ultimately boring to do so yourself.

#41 Edited by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

Is anybody else unable to get into the game? I keep getting this error message that says "Connection to the login server timed out," or something like that.

The patcher said that there was going to be some down time, but the website says that all the servers are up. Any ideas?

Nvm. I'm an idiot. Apparently the servers are actually down.

#42 Edited by Bwast (1334 posts) -

I've played for a couple hours and it seems like Guild Wars 2 and Tera got together and had an ugly baby.

#43 Edited by FateOfNever (1758 posts) -

@icemo said:

I'm level 15 now and the thing that starts to annoy me is insane aggro from enemies. Maybe it's because the tower district in the city of Neverwinter is quite narrow, but it's impossible to try to walk past enemies. They start running at you from 30 meters away and even if you stand still away from them, you will get attacked. So you have to fight every single enemy if you want to go somewhere, and once you want to go back, the enemies you killed a minute ago are all waiting for round two.

Thats why the combat starts to feel dry, since you can't explore the environment at all without fighting. I hope this will get better once you get out of the city of Neverwinter.

The sound of that reminds me too much of The Old Republic since that was one of my biggest complaints with that game - not being able to go anywhere without pretty much having to kill everything between you and your destination because there are too many mobs and they aggro too easily, and then having it all respawn far too quickly so you'd have to do it all over again on the way out. So I hope that doesn't hold true for a large part of Neverwinter, that would bum me out big time.

#44 Edited by Icemo (623 posts) -

@fateofnever: I hope that too. It might be just that one area inside the city that has too many enemies and once you get outside there will be more space to avoid enemies. But I will report about that once I'm leveled up enough to leave the city. I think I will keep playing this, it's a decent mmo and I don't have any other complaints about it at the moment.

#45 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@eujin: I understand that my problems with 4th Edition are my own thing. However, in the long run, my cleric at level 1 was dealing far more than a couple of points worth of damage. When we're talking about D&D, you shouldn't be hitting THAT HARD at level 1, let alone hitting even harder as you move up. That's where my problem is. With DDO, they captured it perfectly. At level 1, I was hitting for a max of about four-eight damage, crits not withstanding. At level 2, there wasn't a massive increase on that. It held true to the low numbers game that D&D should be...ya know, until you get into the crazy min-maxing of prestige classes, multiclassing, and psionics.

That's what pisses me off about the game from what I played in the closed beta. I picked a Devoted Cleric, and I was AUTO ATTACKING for 23-30 damage on a regular basis. IT'S A CLERIC! At level 1, about the only chance that a Cleric has of hitting for that much on an auto attack is by using a 1-handed warhammer with a shield, then hitting a nat 20 roll for crit threat, breaking AC after, and then hitting a full 8 on their damage roll for the x3 crit + strength modifier (which is probably about a +1 or +2)...and even then, they would probably need to take Power Attack (which would be a little dumb for a Cleric) and trade off at least 3 attack bonus in order to get up to a possible...29?

It feels like they plugged in MMO standards to D&D, and that's what drives me nuts. Having played enough DDO to have a 14th level Stalwart Defender as well as a 10th level Kensei and a bare-minimum Radiant Savant, that game handles it all VERY well because it keeps very true to the ruleset it is based upon.

I've played 4th Edition a couple of times, and even in that, you aren't knocking dicks in the dirt with 30 damage at level 1.

Again, maybe all of this has changed since closed beta, but it really turned me off. I'm sure the game is super fun as an MMO. I know that the graphics were fantastic and I really wish that DDO was half the visual wonder that Neverwinter is. However, at the core, it does not FEEL like D&D. It feels like *insert fantasy MMO here*...and that's a bummer.

#46 Posted by FateOfNever (1758 posts) -

After spending several hours with the game now, my most important thought is -

This is a Diablo style game, not a normal WoW/inserttraditionalmmorpg style game, and people should know that. Once I realized that, a lot of the quirks I thought the game had that were rubbing me the wrong way suddenly stopped bothering me almost entirely. It also made me realized this game should have been in the Dark Alliance franchise and not the Neverwinter franchise, but whatever.

I am starting to wonder though just how much the character stats actually matter in this game. In DDO stats actually matter the way they do in normal old D&D. In this game, your gear seems to boost other stats so much that it makes me wonder if you could have a control wizard with 13 int and not have it affect much of anything at all. Not that I find that to be a real bad thing if they aren't very important, it just makes me curious.

#47 Posted by Jrinswand (1692 posts) -

The only things I really don't like about it so far are the combat mechanics and the story. Unfortunately, both of those things are pretty important when getting into a new MMO.

#48 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I normally hate MMOs, but I kind of like it so far. I've only played a little bit and will probably put a few more hours into it. It plays a whole lot better than STO.

#49 Edited by Icemo (623 posts) -

@fateofnever: Confirmed. Plenty of room to avoid enemies when you get out of the city, it was just that one area that was packed full.

#50 Edited by TheHT (10248 posts) -

After spending several hours with the game now, my most important thought is -

This is a Diablo style game, not a normal WoW/inserttraditionalmmorpg style game, and people should know that. Once I realized that, a lot of the quirks I thought the game had that were rubbing me the wrong way suddenly stopped bothering me almost entirely. It also made me realized this game should have been in the Dark Alliance franchise and not the Neverwinter franchise, but whatever.

I'm pretty sure it started as a co-op actiony dungeon crawler, but when Perfect World acquired Cryptic they changed course to what it is now.