Got a New 3DS ? What Do You Think Of It?

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

Poll Got a New 3DS ? What Do You Think Of It? (51 votes)

Love it! It's 100% worth the upgrade 35%
It's Good, I'm glad I got it 43%
It's ok, maybe should of held out. 12%
I don't like it. 8%

Seeing now as the New 3DS XL has finally be released in NA, What do you think of it?

So far I really like it. My system transfer process I think took maybe 2 hours? Not terrible if you have something else to do. Screen and resolution is all the same at the XL, but Load times/switching games and applications is much much quicker.

Also the "Super Stable 3D" works incredibly well. I use mass transit for my commute and I would always leave the 3D off, I used it this morning and had no issues with losing focus on the 3D.

• 
DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathTrap

I like it a lot...but there is one major flaw with the system: the power button. It's located right where I normally rest my pinky to stabilize the system. I've managed to accidentally start the shut down sequence four times in the last day or so. If it just minimized what I was doing, I wouldn't care...but it closes active software - so I lose all progress since the last time I saved.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was still using my launch 3DS, so most of the reason that I bought a New XL was just because I wanted to get an XL anyway. All of my games look great, and now I don't feel like I'm going to get eye strain by trying to read a bunch of microscopic text. The analog nub has been really nice in Majora's Mask, too.

The only issue I've had was that when I was putting the bottom panel back on after replacing the SD card, it didn't seem to fit quite right despite the screws lining up, because the lip around the bottom edge of the system wasn't flush and I could flex it a little bit with my finger. Taking it back off and applying pressure with my finger as I tightened the screws seemed to fix that, though.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mwng

I "upgraded" my XL to the smaller new Nintendo 3DS (Europe woo!).

Overall, I like it better. I was worried I'd miss the larger screens too much, but the more I use it, the less noticeable it becomes (I can always hold it closer), it's also nice having a sharper screen (since it's smaller). It fixes a couple issues I had with the XL; it was just a bit too bulky, making it uncomfortable to hold for long periods, and the hinge wobbled under it's own weight (unsure if that happens with all XLs?). It's a good mix of the OG 3DS and the XL in terms of form factor, not too small, not too big. It's noticeably quicker at just about everything too.

The only major complaint I have is the stylus, it was so convenient being able to pull it from the right hand side of the unit, but now I have to jostle the whole thing around if I want to pull it from the front. Stylus is annoyingly small too, though I guess it wouldn't fit into the device if it were longer.

Used the PC transfer process, it was a lot easier than the instructions on the 3DS made it out to be, took 15-20 mins.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

I went from a regular XL to the New 3DS (non-XL). I love it, it's so much nicer than the old XL and I guess that includes the new ones.

It feels more portable, the screens don't look oddly big compared to the shell and the wooden Mario cover plate I bought looks fantastic.

Don't even get me started on those SNES buttons! I know it sounds stupid but they really make it stand out.

The system transfer was easy and no hassle for me, I had heard so many saying it's obtuse but all I did was copy the contents of my sdcard to a microSD, then I let the 3DS transfer some system settings. All of this took about 20 minutes at most, simple and it felt like I was using my XL again with all its saves and home screen layout intact.

No Caption Provided

I owned the original 3DS and Nintendo have come a long way since then, at least for this model.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By skyline7284

Going from an original 3DS to the New 3DS XL is amazing. I've never used the XL before, and it makes a huge difference. The 3D is much better, the battery life feels slightly better, the system feels snappier. This feels like the 3DS was originally meant to be. The transfer process can be confusing, but Nintendo released a helpful youtube video that guides you through it. Otherwise the system is fantastic.

ashenozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathtrap: Yup, that happens with me as well. I really miss the Circle Pad Pro I have for the old 3DS, the new stick is not as good as the Circle Pad and it is frankly quite a bit worse to hold than the old one with the CPP. The bigger screen is really nice and now I can actually see the 3D effect, but I don't think I will use it too much.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Rodin

Iv'e had the new 3DS Xl for a few months now, and i'm really enjoying it, I've noticed the slightly faster loads on stuff, and the extra stick is handy, although my thumb gets sore pretty quick using it, and i do wish it was a little less nub-y. Also the whole dynamic 3D camera thing is cool, it has freaked out on me a couple times, but that's to be expected. Otherwise the only thing i dislike about the new XL is that the buttons are not coloured like the non-xl counterpart

And yes the transfer process is way to long doing it from 3DS to new, so you should use a pc.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@rodin I agree with you about the coloring. I wished they released the Non-XL , N3DS. I do feel the system itself is much quicker and feels just more fleshed out.