#1 Posted by Dudacles (1625 posts) -

So I hear Nier is a pretty interesting game, and I'd like to play it. The thing is, I've taken up Japanese studies and as such would like to import the Japanese version. Upon checking out the game, however, I found that the only version available to me (with the XBOX 360 being region-locked and all) is Nier Replicant. It seems the main character is younger there, and has a different relationship to this one character called Yonah. Now, considering Nier is mostly famed for its insane story, I'd like to know whether playing Nier Replicant has any downsides on this front as opposed to the original game? As in, do the changes to the character make enough of a difference that I'm missing out on some story beats or something?

It's a weird thing anyway. Why would they divide the console versions of the game like this, especially only in one region? I don't quite understand that.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me some insight.

#2 Edited by Canteu (2888 posts) -

In gestalt you are her father, in replicant, you are her brother and a younger, more jrpg looking character.

The names do have something to do with the story beats, but both games contain both pieces.

That's about it really, it's not that different.

#3 Posted by 9cupsoftea (676 posts) -

I think it does take a lot away from the story. The surprising turns in the game (which are brilliant) work so much better when you're the father - the whole game does.

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5286 posts) -

@9cupsoftea said:

I think it does take a lot away from the story. The surprising turns in the game (which are brilliant) work so much better when you're the father - the whole game does.

I vaguely recall a developer interview where the game director wanted Nier Gestalt (Dad Version) to be the only version. However publisher pressure made them do "Replicant" for Japan, thus negating all of the central themes that only made sense from a paternal perspective.

And yeah, Nier is a brilliant fucking game. A pain in the ass to play with brain-dead side quests and a boring open world, but the narrative, music, characters, and general atmosphere make up for shoddy gameplay. OP is doing himself a disservice by playing Nier Replicant.

#5 Posted by FourWude (2274 posts) -

*Thinks about Emil*

*cries*

What do you think happened to Emil.

#6 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1872 posts) -

@fourwude said:

*Thinks about Emil*

*cries*

What do you think happened to Emil.

His head is show flying into the desert and trying to get back to Nier in you beat it on NG+

http://youtu.be/kw9bqGSmfSY?t=19m39s