Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct set for 7am 6/11. Good Idea?

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Nintendo announced earlier this month that they would have a Nintendo Direct before E3 to announce future games for the Wii U and 3DS.

Today, Nintendo has announced the timing of that Nintendo Direct as being... pretty much when they usually have their press conference. 5 Hours before E3 opens it's doors, 7am PDT 6/11 - it can be seen here;

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/

So - this is the day after Microsoft and Sony have their second unveilings for the PS4 and Xbox One (/X1 /XBO /Xbone).

Is this a bold move? A stupid move? What you suspected would happen all along?

Personally I thought the move towards Nintendo Directs allowed them to step outside the E3 crowd and be heard, so in my opinion having the direct after the MS and Sony conferences is a pretty poor decision.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#2 Marino  Staff

That's generally the same time slot they've had the last few years anyway. Not that early, but around 9 AM think. So...it's fine.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: I wondered for a sec why it was at 7am in the morning, but then I remembered that it's replayable out of the gate, so that's a pretty good catch-all time for the vid to go out.

Still, I think this Direct will be incredibly overshadowed to anyone but those who would have tuned into it no matter what anyway.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Whatever Nintendo does this E3, it will be akin to showing up with a fart to a shit fight, so I guess cheaping out like this is *smart*. Making a fart in a shit situation if you will.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Not really sure why everyone is so bummed on Nintendo, I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

When they said "pre-E3 Nintendo Direct", I was thinking 1-2 days before the actual press conferences. Eh, it'll be awesome regardless.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've said this on multiple threads, but I really hope they show more of SMT x FE. I want to know more about that strange yet awesome sounding game.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Persona 5 is a Wii U exclusive bomb that their going to drop will garner plenty of attention.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

I've said this on multiple threads, but I really hope they show more of SMT x FE. I want to know more about that strange yet awesome sounding game.

For me it's Phoenix Wright and Layton x Ace Attorney. Man, I can't wait for those 3ds games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@neoepoch said:

Same here. That teaser trailer did its job.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a decision, regardless of a good or bad one. It's an Internet video. It's not some live event. You can watch it any time you want that day. This is the Internet.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Persona 5 is a Wii U exclusive bomb that their going to drop will garner plenty of attention.

yeah. Wait LOL NO

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Nintendo Direct is for Nintendo fans, it's just where they give you a sneaky peek at upcoming games. Like Nintendo Power used to be!

I don't think it's the same kind of spectacle as these giant nutty things.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@oldenglishc said:

yeah. Wait LOL NO

Well, P5 would get a lot of attention from people like the guys on these forums and GAF.

BUT I agree it's very unlikely that it'll come to Wii U considering how well Catherine sold on current gen systems.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@oldenglishc said:

yeah. Wait LOL NO

Well, P5 would get a lot of attention from people like the guys on these forums and GAF.

BUT I agree it's very unlikely that it'll come to Wii U considering how well Catherine sold on current gen systems.

Oh I would pre order this game 5 seconds after it was announced but as you said it is pretty unlikely to be released on the Wii U. That is why I was laughing.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@darji said:

@oldenglishc said:

yeah. Wait LOL NO

Oh I would pre order this game 5 seconds after it was announced but as you said it is pretty unlikely to be released on the Wii U. That is why I was laughing.

Right, yeah - it was unclear, so I kinda guessed what you meant.

MAN, fuck, Persona 5 is my number 1 game with a bullet point in terms of things I want announced this E3/TGS. I'll be buying whatever platform it's on, no questions asked.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Depends what they show or announce. If they release a WiiU Zelda trailer or a WiiU 3D Mario trailer they will garner attention.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if they have like, a fucking sick games line-up though? I really hope they do.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@darji said:

@oldenglishc said:

yeah. Wait LOL NO

Right, yeah - it was unclear, so I kinda guessed what you meant.

MAN, fuck, Persona 5 is my number 1 game with a bullet point in terms of things I want announced this E3/TGS. I'll be buying whatever platform it's on, no questions asked.

My uncles a big-wig at Nintendo Power. I have sources.

But seriously, it's too big of a franchise now not to be multi-platform.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benny said:

What if they have like, a fucking sick games line-up though? I really hope they do.

Agreed!

But then, I think/hope all of the big 3 will have an awesome games lineup.

E3 is going to be a bloodbath.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldenglishc

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fairly lengthy Bayonetta 2 trailer.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Peanut

Why do people think what Nintendo does doesn't matter? They've been setting standards for quality in this industry for decades, why the fuck is that going to stop? Do you honestly think that with the Wii U where it is they're not going to come out and slam some fantastic shit on the table?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I just hope that Nintendo makes a Ice Climbers 2, not waiting another 25 years for another kid Icarus would also be cool.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darji

@peanut said:

Why do people think what Nintendo does doesn't matter? They've been setting standards for quality in this industry for decades, why the fuck is that going to stop? Do you honestly think that with the Wii U where it is they're not going to come out and slam some fantastic shit on the table?

yeah the same old shit over and over again

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji said:

@peanut said:

Oh, look. This argument again.

@dagbiker said:

I just hope that Nintendo makes a Ice Climbers 2, not waiting another 25 years for another kid Icarus would also be cool.

Ice Climbers Prime, coming this fall from Retro Studios.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@peanut said:

Yeah, no. Totally. What I want is more God of War's and Halo's and Killzone's and Gears of War's and Assassin's Creed's and Call of Duty's and whatever the fuck else we've seen time and again this generation. You show me a single game series that has re-invented itself and stayed as consistently superb over the course of THIS GENERATION as the Mario franchise has over nearly 3 decades and I'll concede defeat to your tired ass fucking argument.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peanut said:

@darji said:

@peanut said:

Yeah, no. Totally. What I want is more God of War's and Halo's and Killzone's and Gears of War's and Assassin's Creed's and Call of Duty's and whatever the fuck else we've seen time and again this generation. You show me a single game series that has re-invented itself and stayed as consistently superb over the course of THIS GENERATION as the Mario franchise has over nearly 3 decades and I'll concede defeat to your tired ass fucking argument.

How about a fucking new IP for gamers. When was the last time Nintendo actually did hat? When was the last time they created a new character? While sequels are not bad I also want new IPs. And Sony does a really good job here. Do they still make tons of sequels? Yeah sure but they also try very often new Ideas and new interesting concepts.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@peanut said:

@darji said:

@peanut said:

How about a fucking new IP for gamers. When was the last time Nintendo actually did hat? When was the last time they created a new character? While sequels are not bad I also want new IPs. And Sony does a really good job here. Do they still make tons of sequels? Yeah sure but they also try very often new Ideas and new interesting concepts.

You're completely right and I fully agree with what you're saying, but Nintendo is still doing new and interesting things with their existing IP's and the games are still good enough to warrant attention. That's all I'm trying to get at with that point. I also think it should be noted Sony consistently needs to put out new IP, because the ones they have can't sustain interest over a long period of time the way Nintendo IP can. Again, I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't do new stuff, but to think Sony or anyone else is creating new IP because they want to and not because their existing shit has been milked dry is a bit naive.