• 67 results
Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: How many street passes do you get in an average week? (218 votes)

such a small amount that it wouldn't even make sense to use a weekly scale 53%
0 - 3 14%
4 - 7 4%
8 - 10 2%
10 - 13 2%
13+ 6%
I don't have a 3ds but I want to see the results 18%

How many street passes do you get in an average week?

So I've seen quite a few people be really down on street passing saying it really only makes sense in Japan. but I don't really have a problem with the amount of passes I've been getting, and I wanted to see how my own results stack up to the rest of the GB dudes. Really I just want to see if people are just getting significantly fewer passes than me, or if I would fit into those peoples idea of "pass deprived"

#1 Edited by Fattony12000 (7281 posts) -

#2 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

If I'm at home, then I can always get 7 since my sis has a 3DS, then I'll usually go out for whatever reason and get at least an 8th one.

When I'm at my university place though, 3 streetpasses is lucky.

#3 Posted by Xymox (2082 posts) -

Zip zero zilch nada none.

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2563 posts) -

At home: 0-3 (ish)

At College: 13+

#5 Edited by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -

585 StreetPass Hits since 06/07/2013...

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

None.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Absolutely none.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (4986 posts) -

5ish if I'm lucky, more people need to carry it around

#9 Posted by Snarkasaur (27 posts) -

0. I only ever play my portable systems....in my living room.

#10 Posted by jaycrockett (441 posts) -

Street passes are really random, that's sort of what makes it so compelling.

Took it to Science Center, teeming with kids: nothing. Go to grocery store for five minutes afterward: street pass.

Took it to Disney World. Nothing. On the way home, while driving on the interstate, street pass.

Looking forward to the Nintendo Zone street pass caching thing.

#11 Edited by ChrisTaran (1583 posts) -

I've gotten about 14 since the launch of the 3DS. So yeah, can't even put it on a weekly scale.

StreetPass is great if you live in Japan, and maybe New York City? But that's about it.

#12 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

40-50 a week? A bunch of people in my office own them which helps but I still get a fair amount on the tube, especially when Animal Crossing came out.

#13 Posted by JBG4 (409 posts) -

I don't live in a very populated area so it's tough to get street passes. I wish I could get a ton more though...

#14 Posted by Baillie (4077 posts) -

What the hell is a street pass all you young folk are going on about these days?

#15 Posted by Ezakael (931 posts) -

I very rarely get a StreetPass. Most are from people I know when I was in Highschool. Every now and than if I go out I might get one or two but it's never on a weekly basis.

#16 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

I've started carrying my 3DS with me since Animal Crossing came out. I've gotten 8 street passes so far. I'm looking forward to PAX Prime. I got a lot of street passes last year.

#17 Posted by D_Mac (123 posts) -

I streetpass with my wife every day. No, that's not a euphemism.

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

#19 Posted by DarkShaper (1325 posts) -

A friend of mine has a 3DS and I tend to street pass with him at least once a week and I can usually count on getting 1-2 a week from going out to eat or shopping.

#20 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

If anything, using my 3DS a lot more lately made me go out on walks more since I want the 10 Play Points a day because I almost never Street Pass. I usually get 1 a week if I'm lucky. So I bought all 4 new Street Pass games, since they'll make that 1 Street Pass worth it. Also, they are just silly and really fun games.

#21 Edited by Itwongo (1177 posts) -

If I took it to work I can finish the week with 50 passes. 100 if I check at lunch.

Why the hell did I stop bringing it to work? Good lord I could be pulling in 200 a week if I checked it at lunch and at both breaks.

#22 Edited by Reisz (1481 posts) -

I get a solid streetpass per week, maybe more if I'm driving my kid to school, honestly though I don't think the youths are using them right. I sat right behind a twelve+ year old dude at Jack in the box last week, He has his 3DS right next to him, closed while he's eating. I was so sure I'd get a street pass out of it. Nada. I was crushed. That would have made two in only four days!

Can you save streetpasses up to ten indefinitely? Because I'm trying to wait til I have at least five before I buy the new games.

@itwongo: Damn man! Where do you work? It's either got to be a games store or a 3DS Factory.

#23 Posted by cloudymusic (1103 posts) -

My 3DS basically never leaves the house, so...zero.

#24 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@reisz said:

I get a solid streetpass per week, maybe more if I'm driving my kid to school, honestly though I don't think the youths are using them right. I sat right behind a twelve+ year old dude at Jack in the box last week, He has his 3DS right next to him, closed while he's eating. I was so sure I'd get a street pass out of it. Nada. I was crushed. That would have made two in only four days!

Can you save streetpasses up to ten indefinitely? Because I'm trying to wait til I have at least five before I buy the new games.

@itwongo: Damn man! Where do you work? It's either got to be a games store or a 3DS Factory.

Some parents set it up so their kids' 3DS don't streetpass. I have a colleague (who works in another city, so I can't streetpass with her) that has 3 boys, the oldest one 13 years old, and none of them are allowed to have it enabled. She and her husband have 3DS also, but I doubt either one has streetpassing enabled.

#25 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

I mostly only leave the house to go to work (where nobody has a 3DS) or take my wife out to dinner or something, so... Yeah, zero.

I take it to things like QuakeCon and PAX, though, and those are GLORIOUS. When it actually happens, StreetPassing can be a blast.

#26 Posted by cmblasko (1187 posts) -

Usually one from my brother's girlfriend and another from someone in my apartment complex.

I took the stupid thing on an international trip last month and got nothing.

#27 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1056 posts) -

Even with that relay service it's still probably gonna be 0-1.

#28 Posted by Grillbar (1812 posts) -

0 and ive even tried taking it on the train still nothing

#29 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1563 posts) -

It really depends on how often I'm taking it out, and where I'm going. A better metric is how many streetpasses I'll get on a given trip. If I'm just taking sidestreets to go grocery shopping, maybe 0-2. If I'm walking down a busy pedestrian/transit arterial, 2-5. If I'm taking transit through a major hub, possibly 5-10. It's only with me if I'm bringing my backpack, which I try to avoid, especially when it's hot.

I find I'm getting less streetpasses in Montreal than Toronto, but that may just be where I'm going. Either way, looking at the results, I'm lucky to be somewhere where streetpasses happen at all, so I'll take what I can get.

I lived on a major streetcar route in Toronto for a few months when I first got my 3DS, and it would pick up streetpasses through the window. That was pretty great.

#30 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Eh, like 10. There's a few I know I'm always gonna get, then always a few randoms surprise me.

#31 Posted by Reisz (1481 posts) -

@sergio: Interesting, I haven't encountered anyone being inappropriate via streetpass (yet) but I suppose that is a concern huh. My guess at his age was conservative but who knows! He was in there with his older brother, maybe he was way younger than I thought. Or his parents are more strict, either way I was pretty bummed out, that's the first 3DS I've seen in "the wild".

#32 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

My roommate, and usually one or two randoms each week.

#33 Posted by UnlimitedSheep (33 posts) -

I wish I got more street passes, it's such a fun feature...

#34 Posted by Scullinator (512 posts) -

Where can I go to get more street passes and not look like a creepy stalker of children?

#35 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

I've had a 3DS for months and haven't got a single one.

#36 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -
#37 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (382 posts) -

I've had a 3DS since launch and have gotten 1 streetpass, and I have no idea how I got that one(the thing rarely leaves my house)

#38 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

it's funny that they seem so rare for so many people. I get atleast 2 every time I go to my local mall. I got 7 in one trip to metrotown (a mall in Vancouver).

#39 Posted by BeachThunder (11821 posts) -

Always zero.

#40 Edited by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@reisz: I think it's more the idea that some stranger ( that's in the immediate area) has a way to track / contact their kid without them noticing. It's like a parents worst nightmare.

#41 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (838 posts) -

I get probably 20-25 a week while I'm attending college, but during the summer I get maybe one a week if I'm lucky.

#42 Posted by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

I've never gotten one. That makes sense though, the thing hasn't ever left my room.

#43 Posted by Reisz (1481 posts) -

@techhits: That's what I find interesting, isn't it all anonymous? The most specific information in there is the country/state where they live. How do you track/contact a streetpass?

#44 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

On an average week, maybe four or so. Though the total number I've gotten has been grossly inflated by attending PAX.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

@reisz said:

@techhits: That's what I find interesting, isn't it all anonymous? The most specific information in there is the country/state where they live. How do you track/contact a streetpass?

The only information traded is your Mii, your Mii's name/region, and the last game/3DS app you used. It does not track user ages or feature any sort of GPS feature. The chances that someone would use StreetPass as a predatory tool are incredibly, incredibly remote.

#46 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

About 16, but that is only because I own 2 3DSes. So I get 2-3 per day. Otherwise I get from 1-0.

#47 Edited by Miyuki (176 posts) -

In my neighborhood: 1

At work: (University) 5-6 a week, sometimes more. I hope my Mii doesn't look too much like me because I am not sure if my students would think it was awesome or weird if they knew it was me.

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

Hopefully that will change soon as Nintendo rolls out more support for hotspots storing street passes and allow you to basically pick up the street passes of anyone who stopped by that spot that day. Thus allowing you to not have to happen to run into someone, just happen to go to the same place as someone on the same day. That's exciting to me, and I look forward to getting more street passes that way, especially for Animal Crossing. :)

#49 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

None.

#50 Edited by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

I've only had one street pass so far, and it was when I went out to walmart one day. My town is small and there isn't really a good place to run into a bunch of people who would have a 3DS other than at a school or at a store like walmart or kroger. I have no plans to go back to the high school two years after graduating, so I usually just stick with carrying it on me while I'm shopping. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how many I can get just by carrying it around when my next semester of college starts in a couple weeks.