Recommend me some 3DS and DS games, why don't you?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After much deliberation, I've decided to finally go ahead and purchase myself a 3DS. Specifically, a New 3DS XL (I've heard it comes in black)

Unfortunately, the deliberating doesn't end there. You see, I haven't purchased a Nintendo platform since the Game Boy Advanced (and I still obsess about Golden Sun) and so there is quite the plethora of games available to me between the 3DS and the DS catalogues. I was hoping to ask my fellow duders for some help in cherry-picking a few of the stand-out titles to get me started.

My interests mainly lean towards RPGs and story-focused games, but I've also got an eye for anything that's a little different. As such, I reckon I'll be leaning away from the majority of the cutesy platformers and the myriad of Mario related products. As of right now, I've settled on purchasing "Fire Emblem: Awakening", "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon" for the DS, a Zelda game or two, "The World Ends With You" for the DS, and "999". That's it. What with there being plenty of options to get some of these older games cheaply these-a-days, I figure I can afford to go a bit further down the rabbit hole.

What you got, folks?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

The downloadable Phoenix Wright Trilogy, and Dual Destinies on the eShop. If you enjoy visual novels.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You may want to read these recent "Recommend me 3DS games" threads for ideas. There are a whole bunch more of these, the 3DS forum is chock full of them. I know these aren't personal recommendations for you, but it's not like the 3DS has that big of a library anyway. You'll see a lot of the same games popping up in thread after thread.

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/must-haves-best-games-for-3ds-ds-1490832/#72

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/getting-nephew-a-3ds-essential-games-i-should-get--1499146/#25

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/i-bought-a-3ds-what-now-1770782/#23

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/best-not-so-obvious-virtual-console-3ds-games-1487317/#15

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/reccomened-eshop-games-for-under-10-1768865/#17

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-3ds/3045-117/forums/what-3ds-game-do-i-play-next-1763250/#16

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DS

- Castlevania Trilogy

- Advance Wars (any)

- FFIV

- Knights in the Nightmare (so good)

- Bowers Inside Story

- Radiant Historia

You might hear some Ghost Trick recommendations, but take it from me that game sucks. You're off to a excellent start with TWEWY, 999 enjoy!

3DS

- MH4

- SMT:DSO

- SMT 4... I have a hard time recommending this one since the story, and characters are incredibly weak. But the combat, atmosphere, and music makes it worth playing.

- Phoenix Wright Trilogy

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heroes of Ruin is a fun little Diablo-esque action RPG on 3DS. You could probably find it for a song these days, and it's actually pretty competent for as relatively unknown as it is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Unless you're a huge fan, or you just really want more, you can skip Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. I mean, it's not bad, it's just bland.

On the DS side of things if you haven't played it elsewhere, Chrono Trigger should be on the very top of your priority list, above everything else. Following that, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good, and the other two usually aren't considered so shabby either (Order of Ecclesia will remind you what "difficult" really means, though). Radiant Historia has become something of a cult JRPG classic, what with its exploration of the consequences of time-skipping and event-changing and stuff.

On the 3DS side, Shin Megami Tensei IV is probably still the best JRPG available. If you still play Pokemon games and want something more challenging or more mature, SMT IV should be on the top of your list. A lot of people liked Bravely Default. Etrian Odyssey IV isn't for everybody, but there isn't a better dungeon crawler on either the DS or 3DS. Outside of RPG's, Shovel Knight is a must-buy, though you might already on that on a PC or Wii U.

You already know the Nintendo stuff, so I didn't mention that.

I opened my 3DS case and looked at all of the games in it - in the spoiler is just a list of what I keep in there.

Actually in the 3DS at this moment - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Surivor 2: Record Breaker (I just bought it fairly recently and I think it's a pretty interesting game so far)

DS:

• Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • Chrono Trigger
  • (Huh. My copy of Radiant Historia isn't in here)

3DS:

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Etrian Odyssey IV
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Bravely Default
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Persona Q
  • Super Mario 3D Land

These aren't all of the games I own, just what I choose to keep in the case. And yes, the case is overflowing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Last Window: Secret of Cape West;

Radiant Historia;

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (for the 3DS);

Dragon Quest IV,V,VI,IX;

Xenoblade Chronicles (new 3DS).

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Joemotycki

If you're a fan of RPGs, then you owe it to yourself to play Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Probably one of the funniest games you're going to play, and the RPG part of it does a good job holding your attention by diversifying the gameplay with multiple characters and keeping you involved with its timed button presses. Fawful might just be my favourite video game villain ever and there's a certain nod to a Mario bros 3 power-up that doesn't get enough love.

Also you can't really go wrong with games like Meteos, Animal crossing and A link between worlds. Maybe consider picking up Pokemon X/Y if you are able to sift through a fair amount of tedium to get to a rather satisfying rock-paper-scissors style RPG.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Some terrific suggestions in this here thread. Thanks to the lot of you. I've gone ahead and purchased my New 3DS XL, a charger, as well as a couple of games to go along with it. My initial selection ended up being "Fire Emblem: Awakening", "999", "The World Ends With You" and "Xenoblade Chronicles".

I'll definitely return to this list later on when I feel it's time to pick up something else. Feel free to continue to submit further recommendations if anything hits you. Appreciate the help, guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

999 and Virtue's Last Reward would probably be great choices, especially with part 3 coming next year.

If you've never played a Pokemon game or it's been awhile, I think X/Y are great games to jump back in with. (If you loved Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald ORAS would be great too)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is the real deal. Legitimately the best Zelda game I've played in the last decade. I don't need to recommend Fire Emblem, because you're already getting it, just be warned that Shadow Dragon is probably one of the weakest games in the series. Awakening is pretty good though!

Other, random recommendations:

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds. (3DS)

Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)

999 (DS)

Dragon Quest 9 (Ds)

Elite Beat Agents (DS)

Phoenix Wright series (both)

Advanced Wars Dual Strike (DS)

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow(DS)

Tetris DS (DS)

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (DS)

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JesusHammer

SMT:Strange Journey is the best actual SMT game since Nocturne, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is pretty good if you're into that series, Kid Icarus for the 3DS is really great, Animal Crossing New Leaf if that's your thing, and the Majora's Mask remake if you want to play the best 3D Zelda game.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I agree with just about everything in this thread, but I'm gonna precaution you against the DS Zeldas. Not A Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time, or Majora's Mask.

Personally speaking, I really didn't like Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass no matter how much I wanted to. The controls threw me off completely and riding the train in Spirit Tracks was extremely monotonous.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but I say that as a big fan of the Zelda series. I'm sure others will disagree.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Stick 999/VLR and all Phoenix Wright games into my VEEEINNS!

Good gravy they're so damn fun (including Layton vs Phoenix).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18 fisk0  Moderator
Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been playing my way through the Layton series on an off for the last few years - I need a good period between each one. They are a really nice change of pace in the video game scene.