Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) 7 months, 3 days ago

Poll: What game should I get: Bravely D. or Fire Emblem (poll) (143 votes)

Fire Emblem 73%
Bravely Default 12%
No opinion 15%

So I'm not sure what 3ds game to get next, Fire emblem or Bravely Default? My understanding is that these games are quite similar and I love tactics rpg's. I know GB has the most clever people on the internet, so help me out of this jam guys!

#1 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

I only played one of those games so Fire Emblem

#2 Edited by Quantris (248 posts) -

You should get the Bravely Default demo to see if you like it. It's not a "tactics" RPG though (it has a job system, but turn based battles with a twist), so if you're looking for that FE is where it's at.

#3 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@quantris: yeah I'm playing the BD demo right now, it's really good. it reminds me of FF.... in a positive way tho :P

#4 Posted by Rejizzle (292 posts) -

Just having played the demo of Bravely Default it seems to me that it's more like a Final Fantasy game, and very little like a Fire Emblem game. Fire Emblem was great and Bravely Default seem good though, so either seems like a good choice.

#5 Edited by Superkenon (1416 posts) -

Fire Emblem is a damn good game that I'd recommend to almost anyone, even if they weren't into that kind of game. For my money, you can't go wrong there. I can't tell you which is better though, since Bravely Default hasn't been released in the States yet. I say, if you're playing the demo and loving it, you should probably go for it. Fire Emblem will always be there for later on down the road, right?

If it helps, there's a demo for Fire Emblem as well.

#6 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5409 posts) -
#7 Edited by Lyisa (342 posts) -

There is also a Fire Emblem demo you could try out, but if you're looking for a tactics type rpg Fire Emblem is going to be what you're looking for.

#8 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

Given that English-language Bravely Default isn't out in North America yet, the odds of Bravely Default winning this poll purely on the back of Europeans and Japanese people is fairly low.

#9 Edited by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@bisonhero: I didn't realize it had not come out yet. I just figured with everything that I had been hearing about this game it was already out.

#10 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@techhits: It's all Europeans in the forums. And also chatter about the demo from North Americans (and places like games websites and Penny Arcade have review copies now).

#11 Edited by edsone (241 posts) -

Both are great. If you could buy only one I'd recommend Bravely Default. Depends on your taste though.

However they are NOT similar games. Fire Emblem is a strategy jrpg. Bravely Default on the other hand is a jrpg. One of the best square-enix jrpgs in years, in my opinion that is. Can't say much about this release as I've played when it came out in 2012 (Japanese 3DS).

Bravely Default was, along with Animal Crossing, one of my favourite games of 2012. Basically a must-own if you've got a 3ds and enjoys playing jrpgs.

#12 Posted by johncallahan (558 posts) -

Bravely Default isn't out here for another week or so, and I am reaaaaallllly looking forward to it. But I can say for certain that Fire Emblem is incredible. So that would be a fine path to go.

#13 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Fire Emblem is my pick hands down.

Got Bravely Default last month, it's by no means a bad game but for me the grinding is a bit much. Then again maybe i'm just rusty on my JRPG's.

Either way I found it much more enjoyable turning a motley crew of novice mages and farmhands into killing machines over the course of Fire Emblems campaign.

Also the characters are infinitely more interesting, and on each playthrough you can switch things up and get a mostly new cast if you want.

#14 Edited by Dixavd (1344 posts) -

I don't think this is a fair contest as not enough people have played Bravely Default to properly argue for its side. That said, Fire Emblem.

#15 Edited by PistolPackinPoet (208 posts) -

I recommend Fire Emblem cause you can get it at a cheaper price cause its been out for a while. Get it used somewhere. Game is fun and the interactions with the other characters is a fun incentive to grind and level up. It's different from Bravely Default because FE is strategic and somewhat deep with a simple gameplay mechanic. Bravely Default (From of the demo I played) is a little light in story and will get a little grindy but will fill the nostalgia of a traditional Final Fantasy.

Get both. Get Fire Emblem now tho.

#16 Posted by shinboy630 (1135 posts) -

Fire Emblem is a damn good game that I'd recommend to almost anyone, even if they weren't into that kind of game. For my money, you can't go wrong there. I can't tell you which is better though, since Bravely Default hasn't been released in the States yet. I say, if you're playing the demo and loving it, you should probably go for it. Fire Emblem will always be there for later on down the road, right?

There is a Bravely Default demo as well, so might as well try both, @techhits

#17 Posted by ripelivejam (3795 posts) -

does bravery default have donnel? no? ok then.

#18 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@superkenon said:

There is a Bravely Default demo as well, so might as well try both, @techhits

I just finished the BD demo, I dumped 6 and a half hours in....

I liked it

But I have only heard good things about fire emblem, still haven't made up my mind.

#19 Edited by MEATBALL (3188 posts) -

Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening aren't similar at all. Go with Fire Emblem, it's good the whole way through. Bravely Default shits the bed with recycled content in the last quarter.

#20 Edited by Fattony12000 (7292 posts) -

I have both.

Get both.

#21 Posted by probablytuna (3612 posts) -

I couldn't get into Fire Emblem: Awakening but I'm enjoying my time so far with Bravely Default. I would choose Bravely Default.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

Bravely Default isn't a tactics RPG.

That said, get Bravely Default first and be part of the zeitgeist then backtrack to Fire Emblem later IMO, unless you can't wait for Bravely Default to come out.

#23 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

@starvinggamer: zeigeist is a factor I'm not gonna lie. I'm going to really busy with school for for the rest of the week. So by the time I'm ready to buy ether game BD will be out.

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (8146 posts) -

@techhits: Yeah, you can be part of the forum madness as we all try to give each other awesome attacks or whatever the weird friends list integration thingy is.